PDA

View Full Version : brakeless blaster

Fat Possum
10-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey guys, I picked up a blaster the other day (on the cheap) and was looking at refurbing it. Couple questions, as I'm a Honda guy, and this blaster's a lil different.
1. Can I do away with the parking brake? The rear brake and P brake share a cable, but can I modify, or order one without a P brake section?
2. Looks like the previous owner took off the oil injector. Will it be ok without a blockoff plate, or will that cause probs down the road?
3. How difficult is it to service the rear bearing carrier? EX Hard? it doesn't look too rough, but thought I'd ask first.
This thing is an "on power or off power" bike.....no range of power. It's bored, (dunno how big) and has an FMF gold with power core 2 silencer.........carbs are clean, but this thing has no range of power.....are all blaster's like this?
Any other caveats you guys would throw out there on the blaster? I realize it's no "R-uh" or EX....and don't want to make it one, but would like to see it run at its potential.
THanks in advance for your help!

Toadz400
10-20-2004, 11:06 AM
1. Get rid of the parking brake and get a parking brake block-off plate. There is a cable that you can order so there is only one cable comes from the brake and goes to the rear brake pedal.
2. Get a block off plate for the oil injection, this could cause problems down the road I believe in case any dirt got inside of it, I don't think dirt inside the engine is a good idea.
3. The bearing carrier should be easy to do, if it's scraped up inside I'd take it to a machine shop to have them machine it and maybe put in some more aluminum. Either that or get a new one, which would be worth it in the end. Blasters are notorious for having no powerband, this is pretty normal that it's on and off.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend that much money on the Blaster to get power out of it unless you are completely loaded. They were never meant to push out tons of power...if you want a fast 2-stroke, find a cheap Banshee or a Quadzilla.

Hope that helped.

Fat Possum
10-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Major help, thanks! Not looking to make it fast, just wanting to refurb it to probably sell it. I'm used to my 400, and this blaster's nothing like it.
Appreciate the answers.....would've hated to replace the Pbrake cable that I'd never use......