PDA

View Full Version : My Lady Wants A Sport Quad

DanAKAL
10-20-2004, 03:40 AM
I need some help here. My lady has decided that she wants a Sport Quad and I’m not certain which way to point her. Her experience has been on my utility Arctic Cat 500’s. She goes to the MX races with me and has finally decided that quads are her favorite and she wants to give MX a try. I know very little of these things other than my AC’s. I do know that they don't get around an MX track very well! Heck I’m not even a MX racer so I can’t help her much there either. However, I am a cross country bike racer. Current rides are a KX250 and KTM 300 EXC. I’ve been racing cross country for almost thirty years. Living in the Great Land our options are sometimes limited and Suzuki would be our best option. There may be better machines but I think that a Z250 or possibly a Z400 would be good to get her feet wet. I really think the Z250 would be the better choice. All that I read about them they are very agile and pretty fast. Seems everyone from beginners to pros like them. She goes about 5’3” and 130 lb. By my thinking the 250 should have more than enough engine for her to be competitive in the Novice classes. I have a little hesitancy about the 400 as my experience has been this is quite a machine and I'm not sure I want to start her out on this. However, at 35 she probably would learn quickly what riding over your head gets you. Anyway, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll need some more help in the near future with whichever one we decide on. I’m not even sure about maintenance for these things. Oil changes, air filters, etc. shouldn’t be a problem and I have always had very good performance from Maxima products. It has been many years but I have set valves with the rocker pins and the shim type. If I remember correctly for shims all you really need are the proper tools to get them in and out. I have no idea where to start with the suspension. I suppose that I would scale the machine and dial the adjusters until all four wheels were equal and adjust from there. Are there measurements for these things as I would do for free and race sag on a bike? As for shocks and springs I have no idea. I’m sure that there are some spring recommendations based on her weight and riding style. Also, I suppose the shocks have dampening and rebound adjustments like a dirt bike. Tires, exhaust, and jetting I'm not even gonna try to get into yet.

Again, any help for a novice quad racer that isn’t even racing would help a lot. Having a girl around that is interested in doing the same things as I am means a lot to me so I really want to match her and a machine that she will like.

bradley300
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
i would say the 250 would be the better choice, z400's seem to wheely real easy and i wouldnt like that for a beginer. if you could get your hands on a 300ex or blaster(blaster realy should be an 03 model or newer), i dont think there are two better beginner quads on the market. also, if she likes racing, they will be much easier to mod and be competitive in whatever your local air cooled/blaster/sport class is

MY450R
10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
GET HER A BLASTER THEY are fun to ride and not at all dangerous

TheFontMaster
10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
I would say go with a blaster or a 300ex. there are more parts out there for those 2 quads. the z-250's i dont think anyone makes wider a arms for them. Aso for basic matinence its tghe same as the dirtbikes more or less.

efilnicafesin
10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DanAKAL
However, at 35 she probably would learn quickly what riding over your head gets you.
Again, any help for a novice quad racer that isn’t even racing would help a lot. Having a girl around that is interested in doing the same things as I am means a lot to me so I really want to match her and a machine that she will like.

You also need to keep in mind that a 35 year old doesn't bounce as gracefully as a 20 year old :D I would tend to agree with the 300ex people. They are hard to kill, and fun to ride. The Z400 is probably too much bike for a beginner...

jesshamner
10-20-2004, 02:32 PM
I agree with blaster or 300ex.

DanAKAL
10-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all of the great info. My hands are a little tied up here just due to availability of products. I could probably look into a 300ex but it's a long way to a dealer with any credibility. To make it simple a Blaster is out of the question. There was a time when everything that I rode was blue. Bikes, Utility ATV's, snogo's, midget racecar, everything. Had their name on the side of my trailer and my jersey. Lets just say that they made it necessary for me to part company with them. Such that I jettisoned everything that I had that was blue. Up to and including computer speakers, surround sound system, and calendar. We went way back to when my dad was paid to ride for them. They have very very good products and I will not criticise any of them or those that ide them. However, as a company they will get no more of my business. Anyway, blue is out of the question. I expect that she will end up on a Z250 because we have someone to work with here. As she gets going we'll see about the aftermarket needs. Maybe by then there will be better availability or some new developments. Again, thanks for the input and confirming my feelings about the 400 being a little to big for now.

maggiesboy
11-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Think about a Raptor 350, solid machine with an ultra reliable powerplant.

dirtmomma
11-09-2004, 09:14 AM
WEll being a "girl" hehe ummmm I've rode the 250ex, & own a 300ex, they are AWESOME for what she would want you can still go out & do some mx w/ both :) As for the suzuki haven't rode that BUT I'm sure it's no different than the honda, if you could get a 300ex you could do more things to it to pump it up, not much you can do w/a sideways motor :) hope this helps some also if you go w/ the Z400 she would like that too, once she has a 250 or 300 for a few months she's probably gonna want MORE power like I did/do ;) GOOD LUCK!!