PDA

View Full Version : i ain't to sure about this

450rboy
10-19-2004, 07:48 PM
ok well i have no i dea what the noise is coming from the engine. cause i ain't to sure if is my valves taping or it is just the ekoing coming from the pipe. cause i know its a high compression engine and it will maybe make a sound like that but i am not to sure. but i am also going to go get a octan booster to see if that will help out with any thing. cause if you don't run a high enough octan it will make a taping sound i think. so can anyone help me out with this?

hsr
10-19-2004, 07:56 PM
mine makes this noise while at idle when i first warm the engine up , it will make one solid "tick" about every 4 or 5 seconds, i don't think it's anything to worry about, the noise goes away after the machine is completely warmed up, i think it is characteristic of this motor to make a lot of top end noise

450rboy
10-19-2004, 08:00 PM
well does anyone else got anything to say

#1speedbump
10-19-2004, 08:13 PM
DONT use octane boost. It is not only a waste of money but can also cause damage to your motor.

r450rr
10-19-2004, 08:45 PM
hold the clutch in while at idle. and see if it still makes it.. mine makes a noise at idle, but its the tranny cause it stops when i hold in the clutch

450rboy
10-20-2004, 09:36 AM
if i do raise the octan what will happen. i mean what would it damage. and i ain't planning on raising it a lot. just like to 96 or 97 i think.

and the noise isn't coming from on the low end of the engine. it is coming from the top.

but thanks from both ya

10-20-2004, 10:18 AM
this engine is noisy..its normal..i was scared at first with mine too

jeepnrocks
10-20-2004, 10:19 AM
going up in octane isnt the problem,
its the fact that the octane boosters are garbage and probably don't do anything. if you want to up your octane go get some race gas and mix it with the regular super you get at the gas station

416rider
10-20-2004, 07:40 PM
I was told by local mechanic that using octane booster is not a good idea on a stock engine even with a pipe, when me and my dad had our quads bored out mine 400ex to a 416ex and my dad 660r to 686r he recomended we used 4 to 1 with VP witch made a huge difference, but it would f up the engines if we used them in our stock 400ex and raptor.

tjar66
10-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Check your heat shield bolts mine were making such a loud noise as they were vibrating loose.

allmixedup047
10-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by tjar66
Check your heat shield bolts mine were making such a loud noise as they were vibrating loose.
ha...mine didnt make any noise it just fell off after about 1min of riding. i was pissed:mad:

DirtDevilBT
10-20-2004, 11:22 PM
To stay with that question, I just got my 450 and started it up. It makes a sort of loud knocking sound at a constant speed. Like 2 times a second. It's not valve noise but then again I have never heard a unicam before. It has me on edge a little because it is such a noticable knock that doesn't go away. What's up?

sulnz450r
10-21-2004, 12:23 AM
mine was pretty noisy at first but now it has seemed to quiet down a bit, or I am just getting used to it one of the two.:rolleyes:

10-21-2004, 07:38 AM
a KNOCKING noise is not good...i know this much

10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
To stay with that question, I just got my 450 and started it up. It makes a sort of loud knocking sound at a constant speed. Like 2 times a second. It's not valve noise but then again I have never heard a unicam before. It has me on edge a little because it is such a noticable knock that doesn't go away. What's up?

Mine does the same thing!! I don't know what it is, either. I've talked to a honda mechanic a few times. He continues to say it's normal. But, it sounds too loud to be normal. When I first start mine up, everything is fine. After the bike completely warms up, the knocking noise begins. It seems to be loudest (or most noticeable) at idle. I'm kind of worried. I think i'll take it in to be looked at, as soon as the snow flies. But, i'm afraid to have a Honda mech. tearing down my engine. Might end up worse than it is now!!

kickin440
10-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Mine made a noise like that When it got hot and it wound up being the auto decompression on the cam.
It supposedly does it when it's hot and idleing to keep it from kicking back when you punch it hard from an idle. Could be a lie don't know for sure but they put a new decompression deal on mine. But when it went out it sounded like the rod bearing was out. It was a lot louder at an idle

DirtDevilBT
10-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Now I know I talked about me getting either a TRX or YFZ. I bought the TRX on Tuesday and started it up running it through a cam break in procces. Then, started it up again and let it idle for a while and shut it down. Anyway, the next time I started it I paid a little more attention to any noises, low and behold I heard the knock. WTF, no I mean WHAT THE FU<K! My modded out warrior doesn't make half the noise. It is not something "normal" or will "go away" after break in. The noise happens all the time whether it is cold or hot. I can even get it to knock faster by pressing on the gas a little. I also noticed how F in much it vibrates just off idle, is that normal for this thing. Like I said, you can see what I did to my warrior and it still doesn't vibrate or make any suspicious noises. The vibration is in neutral, I'm sitting on it, and while raising the idle just a tad with the throtle it starts to vibrate like a mother trucker. What is the problem! What the hell!

DirtDevilBT
10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
It sensored me. I didn't even spell anything or use anything over and over. Anyway, it does it hot or cold. And, is it supposed to vibrate this much just off idle while in neutral? What the hell?

mephyst
10-21-2004, 09:52 PM
It's totally normal in high performance engines. My brother studies this crap and knows all about it and told me it has something to do with the pistons warming up... somethin' like that.

DirtDevilBT
10-22-2004, 12:06 AM
The knocking or vibration because there is not way in hell both are normal.

10-22-2004, 08:50 AM
its hard to diagnose a noise like this over the internet..it could be just too many things...your best bet is to take it to a local mechanic who knows what hes doing & have him listen to it. good luck & let us know whats happens