PDA

View Full Version : Voiding a Warranty

BlackRaptor
10-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Would a rev-box, hot-cams or a JE hi-comp piston void a warranty? I would like to know before I get these things.

mojoe2878
10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
usually when you change anything from factory it voids the warranty

BlackRaptor
10-19-2004, 06:49 PM
What if the products meet the oem specifications? and im not gonna get a rev-box

Aceman
10-19-2004, 06:52 PM
I can't see how that wouldn't void a warranty. Example: your bottom end blows up. The dealer is going to say that piston is causing extra stress to the internal engine components and that's why it blew up. I would be very surprised if it was still under warranty.

BlackRaptor
10-19-2004, 06:54 PM
thanks, looks like I might be screwed:eek2:

BlackRaptor
10-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Should i put the stock parts back in? The cams and piston, cause I think my bike through a cam chain

Guy400
10-19-2004, 07:20 PM
You might have to eat this one. Any competent dealer will notice that a cam and piston have been installed. When you throw a cam chain that means your cam timing was all out of whack in relation to the piston. So in all likelihood you bounced a valve off the piston and your old stock piston won't have any damage marks on it. Your valve will be damaged from impacting the piston and this probably caused some damage to the rocker arm which would likely cause damage to the cam. So if you've got a valve(s) destroyed and there's no damage to the piston or cam they're going to know something up. Not only that but you can tell when these items have just been replaced and the motor hasn't been fired yet.

More importantly than that, it's dishonest. You modified the motor and if it went "boom" than you should be responsible for fixing it, not the dealer.

LazeR
10-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
You might have to eat this one. Any competent dealer will notice that a cam and piston have been installed. When you throw a cam chain that means your cam timing was all out of whack in relation to the piston. So in all likelihood you bounced a valve off the piston and your old stock piston won't have any damage marks on it. Your valve will be damaged from impacting the piston and this probably caused some damage to the rocker arm which would likely cause damage to the cam. So if you've got a valve(s) destroyed and there's no damage to the piston or cam they're going to know something up. Not only that but you can tell when these items have just been replaced and the motor hasn't been fired yet.

More importantly than that, it's dishonest. You modified the motor and if it went "boom" than you should be responsible for fixing it, not the dealer.

^^ What he said

Warrantys are for how it comes out of the factory, and warranties the factories work, not your work, or your mechanics work. I'd say you're gonna have to eat it and get it fixed and RIDE ON! :macho

BlackRaptor
10-20-2004, 05:45 AM
All my parts were put in by a kawasaki dealer, so it wouldn't void the warranty as I was told.

MOFO
10-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BlackRaptor
All my parts were put in by a kawasaki dealer, so it wouldn't void the warranty as I was told.

then you just answered your own question. Ask the dealer!