PDA

View Full Version : Help with cleaning (motor) polish, etc.

roostin_dale
10-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Well i just got a used motor and it isnt really rusty but its old and is turning a gold color, with small amounts of rust. How can i make it look new again? I will polish the side cases but the whole thing is nasty looking.

Let me know of any ideas..try to keep them cheap. Does the Motor Paint crap even work? does it chip? thanks

Pvt. Maggot
10-19-2004, 05:39 PM
what kind of motor?...it shouldn't be rusted cuz there usually aluminum but you have a few choices...you can scrub it...paint it..or use engine degreaser...all work fine..pm me in you want anything blinged on it. :p

roostin_dale
10-19-2004, 05:43 PM
its a 250x motor. Its not really rust i dont know what to call it...its truninga goldish color, it sat outside for a few months.

I scrubed and used wd40 and crap for about 2 hours and it doesnt look to good still....will engine de-greaser get all the gold crap off?

How much do you charge for both side cases to be polished?

Pvt. Maggot
10-19-2004, 07:25 PM
30 each case..i'm guessing its baked on dirt...get a good wire brush..and some engine degreaser and go at it..it should clean up good..if you have use of a sandblaster..you can block all the holes and sandblast it also :)

roostin_dale
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
so i can just plug all the holes and sandblast the whole engine? What will it turn out like?

I might send you my cases this winter, thanks for the info

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-20-2004, 08:28 AM
yep just block the holes and sandblast it. The engine will turn the brushed aluminum color again..

roostin_dale
10-20-2004, 04:00 PM
sweet, thanks guys (and gal). What do I plug the holes with, just rags or do i need something stronger? I have a sandblaster....

gate_keeper_32
10-21-2004, 05:02 PM
I am going through the same thing youy are right now. I bought a 99' 400ex a few weeks ago and it is turning the same color. This comes from riding the quad in mud and the heat from the motor "bakes" it on there. Thats why I wash mine after EVERY time I ride.

I have tried several different things.

Weslys' bleach white:
It works good for de-greasing things, but will "chalk" you're aluminum. It does however work great for the tires and seat.

Simple green:
Works great for cleaning everything. Doesnt "chalk" anything, but still doesnt get the "fried mud" off.

Muriatic acid:
I tried this stuff on a chance...MISTAKE! Dont use this on aluminum. It deos clean the motor real good, but it turns it jet black. I had a spare side cover here that I tried it on (thankfully) and it started eating the metal away. I was able to use a wire wheel on it and polish it back up though.

The only thing I've found that works:
Wire brush, steel wool, a sandblaster, and time. The sandblaster is the best thing I've used so far.

Good luck.

ZSK
10-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Do you have any pictures of the plain sandblasting? Don't you have to apply a clear coat to keep the bare aluminum from corroding?

TheFontMaster
10-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Yea the color on your engine is a mix of caked on mud, and some oxidation on the motor, that is aluminums equivalent of rust. I don't know how to prevent it other than cleaning the engine good with some polish after it gets dirty.

roostin_dale
01-21-2005, 10:40 PM
hey, please help with this, here are my pics....If there are no ideas, please give me a step by step on how to sandblast this thing, and will it harm it in any way? thanks

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141562