PDA

View Full Version : 300ex potential

Jake250ex
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
last night I was bored as hell, and went to go look at my quads like they were gonna go somewhere. Anyway, I found an old *** stack of magazines on my Banshee, and one was a old Dirtwheels and it had a 300ex test in it. They said basically it was borderline fast, but what peaked my interested is that they said "the motor actually has a lot of potential. Simple air box mods and an aftermarket pipe really bring it to life." What is also kinda odd is that in the most recen 300ex test - (300ex vs raptor 250 vs. 400ex) they said that it is hard to see hp. gains.

my question is, is there really a decent differnce in a stocker vs a piped 300?

300exOH
10-19-2004, 10:42 AM
I felt a huge gain when I put an aftermarket exhaust, filter and modded airbox on my 300ex. It felt sort of lazy when it was stock and now it has much better throttle response and has much more power on the top end. Now I can rev each gear out instead of short shifting. It's a totally different quad now.

blitzkrieg05
10-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I would say putting an aftermarket exhaust on any quad would result in a gain of horsepower and throttle response.

flipstick04
10-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I have supertrapp 4" racing series full system, and K&N filter and it really does wake it up, i just uped the front sprocket to a 14tooth and I didn't notice any low end power loss, its slightly noticable in the higher gears, but nothing major. The stock setup would not be able to handle this well. if you do a lot of steep hill climbs it helps quite a bit also.

hardkoratvmxr
10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Yes a pipe, jets and airfilter make a big difference. My 300ex could pull a gear higher if needed. So yes a pipe, jets and airfilter make a pretty big difference. If you plan on racing it you might want to consider a-arms and axle and better front and rear shocks for your next mods. Then do more motor.

So far I have a
Big Gun Full Race exhaust
k&N airfilter/prefilter
lsr axcalibur axle
lsr a-arms +2+1
Elka Front and Rear Shocks
stock bore 11:1 compression piston
Curtis Sparks High Rev box
Race Cam
Renthal Cr-High bend handlebars
18 inch rear razrs on douglas shamrock beadlocks
20 inch fornt razrs on douglas shamrock beadlocks
Hardkor Hubs fornt and rear
13/36 gearing
Maier Silver Race plastic
denton steering stabilizer

yfz on the way in summer and 300ex is going to become my Cross Country bike

This is what I already have for my YFZ;
tc pipe
uni airfilter
kenda klaws mx front and rear(on the way)
Cr-High bend handlebars
ac pro nerf bars

10-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by flipstick04
i just uped the front sprocket to a 14tooth and I didn't notice any low end power loss, its slightly noticable in the higher gears, but nothing major.

um thats not right you should be seeing more bottom end and les top:huh

flipstick04
10-19-2004, 08:55 PM
sorry bud.. its correct. Trust me. It is common gearing knowledge that when you increase the size of the front sprocket, top speed is increase, but low end power is decreased. Even if it weren't common knowledge.. I know for a fact, because i increased mine from a 13tooth front sprocket to a 14 tooth front sprocket. and i gained top speed, but had a slightly noticable power loss, like i stated before.

10-19-2004, 09:44 PM
i thought the 300EX had a 15 tooth front. sorry aboot the mix up.lol

Jake250ex
10-20-2004, 06:20 AM
well.... after reading this you guys got me wanting a pipe now! I am torn b/n my buddys sponsor deal on gear (I can get alpionestar tech 6's, all fox 360 gear, smith roll off goggles, hjc helmet and a chest protector) for $100 or a pipe!!!! I think I am gonna go with the gear, its not everyday you find a deal like that.