PDA

View Full Version : !! need help quick on a 400ex !!

YFZWHEELIER
10-19-2004, 09:37 AM
im taking the head off my 400 to replace the gaskets because it leaks real bad, i took the head cover off but cant seem to figure out how to take the cam chain off, can some one give me some detailed instructions for getting the head and everything off, thanks alot guys

sickmojave
10-19-2004, 09:47 AM
you have a PM. ;)

quadmxracer
10-19-2004, 09:52 AM
If your that far make sure you:

1. Have taken out the cam chain tensioner on the backside of the cylinder to take pressure away from the chain.

2. Remove the two sprocket bolts. I believe they are an allen type bolt. Be sure after you remove the first one to rotate the engine over counter clockwise for the next one.

3. Remove the sprocket. Attach some wire to the cam chain to keep it from falling into the bottom end. And also remove the camshaft.

4. Be careful not to lose the plunger spring and ball setup for you auto decompression they sit underneath the camshaft. Also take them out.

5. Now remove the four cap nuts and washers from the head and becareful not to lose them in the crankcase. Now remove the head from the cylinder. Next take out the dowl pins and take off the gasket.

6. Now the cylinder should follow and come right off.

Hope this helps.