PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Ice riding???

xsr_racing28c
10-19-2004, 08:28 AM
anyone plannin of settin there quad up for ice soon?? we should all get together and ride some lakes this year... i know of a place that has radar runs for snowmobiles about every two weeks during winter that has a class for quads... we should hit that up...thanks, ~jason

initall
10-20-2004, 06:56 AM
I am In

honda92
10-20-2004, 06:32 PM
i got my a set of rear tires studded, i just need some fronts now. ice riding is awesome, we have like a 20-30 miles of twisting river and a ***** load of places to go on lake wausau. winter is the best time to ride, all i have to do is go a block down the road to the lake.

hondaguy2
10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
I am next year and i can't wait
:cool:

Toadz400
11-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Starting tomorrow I am tearing my Banshee apart and getting it ready for the winter. I'm putting studs in my ice tires (had ice screws in them that are worn down from riding on pavement...stupid, I know), getting aftermarket heads, V-Force reeds and 30mm carbs. I'm also painting the frame and everything else since it became covered in rust from hauling it back from an ice drag last year. Very sad to see an extremely clean, shiny Banshee come back to become rusted a week later...

I will be doing ice drags on Lake Washington near St. Peter, Minnesota. Very fun time, it will be during the month of January...I believe sometime around the 20th.

Where exactly are the snowmobile radar runs that you are talking about?

alberndt
11-13-2004, 11:01 PM
I live a block away from the biggest lake in Wisconsin.

Toadz400
11-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by alberndt
I live a block away from the biggest lake in Wisconsin.

Which lake is that?

I used to live about ten minutes from Lake Superior back in the day (lived near Ashland). I wonder if they do any radar runs on that lake...that'd give me an excuse to go up and visit my distant relatives.

wheeltrax
11-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Lake Winnebago. I will be racing in the SWIRA on lake wisconsin when the season starts up. I raced a race last year in the CWIRA, but it was too far everyweekend, and made more sense to join the club closest to me. Anyone else racing in the SWIRA? it would be nice to chat with someone.

89'350RX
11-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
anyone plannin of settin there quad up for ice soon?? we should all get together and ride some lakes this year... i know of a place that has radar runs for snowmobiles about every two weeks during winter that has a class for quads... we should hit that up...thanks, ~jason

Is that on Lake Winni? where do they meet and run from?

Thanks

honda92
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
has anyone been out yet? on the 4th we were able to run a few hundred yards on the Black River and run some ponds over in taylor county. i would like to get out this weekend but with this damn weather who knows.

Toadz400
12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I haven't been out yet, the Banshee is still in pieces and right now the cylinders are being ported. The lakes around me only have a few centimeters of ice on them, hell if I'm going out on that!

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2004, 02:09 PM
hopefully this little cold period will allow the ice to take over, and we can get out soon.. i am getting my quad all ready for winter, and can't wait

honda92
12-14-2004, 03:01 PM
it sounds like we are heading out on lake wausau tomorrow to ride some bays, hopfully by the weekend we will be able to run some rivers.

honda92
12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
we were able to ride a lot more than we thought. The main channels have about 3-4 inches on them and the bays have 5+. we had one go through the ice but there were a lot of weeds there, just so you stay away from the weeds your good to go. sounds like this weekend it is gonna get around 0 degrees again, then you will be able to go anywhere.

HiperEX
12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
why dont you guys just buy a sled to use for the winter? I just sold my quad and purchased a Arctic Cat ZRT 600 triple. with 144 studs, vforce reeds, reed spacers, clutch kit sure beats my quad in the winter time:o

honda92
12-17-2004, 07:21 PM
because we like wheelers, not sleds. with the short winters i cant justify buying a sled. besides, they suck on glare ice anyway.

Toadz400
12-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
why dont you guys just buy a sled to use for the winter? I just sold my quad and purchased a Arctic Cat ZRT 600 triple. with 144 studs, vforce reeds, reed spacers, clutch kit sure beats my quad in the winter time:o

You know why? Because our winters SUCK. It's one week from Christmas and we don't have ANY snow on the ground, and I live in WISCONSIN for God sakes! I remember when October was just getting started and we'd have snow!

honda92
12-17-2004, 08:15 PM
yeah at this rate the snowmobile trails wont even open around here, hell it wouldnt be the first time. it always seems that the snow goes north of us, but im not complaining i like the ice season anyway. the ice is so clear this year you can see the fish swimming underneath, its pretty cool.

89'350RX
12-18-2004, 05:38 AM
yeah, pretty soon those snowmobile trails will be ATV trails YEAR round. The people up north are starving for business and we as ATVers if allowed would be up there right now riding and spending money.

When an area in WI gets snow, the snowmobilers flock to that area and within hours the trails are for chit. We used to snowmobile and were converted to 3-wheelers in the early 80's....best move I ever made.

2001-400ex'er
12-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Yah the winters sure do suck here, good thing there is always snow up north for snowmobiling, but for around here I just stud my fourwheelers since the rivers never have snow on them.

speedy400
12-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the date on the lake washington ice radar runs are the 22nd, sat. We're all meeting up at my house (20 min away from the lake.) The other day I talked to one of the people putting it on, there will also be a timed ice track, and IF we have snow, maybe some snow obsticals, such as whoops, or lil jumps, cant wait!! I'm putting little ice picks in my rear tires and sheet metal screws up front. Great setup, I also used the setup last year. Just make sure they arnt over like.... 1/2 inch long, or it'll dig in too much and that takes a lot to pull.-darren

89'350RX
12-21-2004, 05:01 AM
speedy

Regular sheet metal screws will wear out in one day if you have to ride over any frozen dirt or roads to get to the ice.

Go get some GOLD DIGGER ice screws. They look just like a sheet metal screw except they are gold colored, more expensive and will last forever. They are extremely sharp too.

speedy400
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Yip, I usually will put on my dune tire/rim combo just to get it to the runs and such, then I'll put my ice tires only when I am on the ice. The races are only 1 day, and we get new screws every year, so they work well for what we use them for. The screws are only like 3.50 for a pack of 100 so its all good.

Toadz400
12-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 89'350RX
speedy

Regular sheet metal screws will wear out in one day if you have to ride over any frozen dirt or roads to get to the ice.

Go get some GOLD DIGGER ice screws. They look just like a sheet metal screw except they are gold colored, more expensive and will last forever. They are extremely sharp too.

Mine didn't last too long on the pavement, remember that Speedy? 5th gear burnout:cool: .

I need to start putting my 'shee back together and figure out what I'm going to do with the tires, I'll probably have to go with doing ice picks in the rear because of how worn down the screws are from riding in the spring.

Bergy
12-25-2004, 07:20 PM
I had raced CWIRA for almost 10 season before I moved up North. I still make the Fremont race every season (friends are the promoters) and maybe another 1 if weather is nice. Ran a few SWIRA races too but it was never the same. CWIRA always had better competition and much better tracks. SWIRA runs the same track every weekend and it gets pretty rough by the end of the season. Not taking anything away from the SWIRA if distance is a concern to you, I just know there are racers from Southern,WI and IL that literally drive by the SWIRA track every Sunday on there way to CWIRA events.

I myself only play ride in the winter these days and will try to ride the Rat River (Fremont,WI area) and some of the Wolf when ice permits. Should be pretty soon with this cold snap. Sone inland smaller lakes have 6-8 inches of ice already.

flyin#5
12-28-2004, 11:46 AM
ill be putting some ice screws in my tires soon. for now im just out riding in the little bit of snow we have. its fun, but id like more snow. if anyone is going to be up in northern WI were going to be snowmobiling/quad riding around hayward/cable. cant wait for the ice drags:)

BuB400
12-28-2004, 06:21 PM
We used to run the poker run on Lake Poygen near Fremont. Wolf and Rat river were cool places to ride. Why don't they have that poker run anymore? Always had a good turnout and it was a good time.

Bergy
12-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Not sure Bub, I think a few years of bad ice scared people. Last year you could ride from Hahns in Orihula, all the way down the rat, and even up the Wolf to Gills Landing. Only trick is shortcutting the rock wall by Partridge Lake. I only reccomend making that trip with somebody 100% confident in his knowledge of the river. A an extra friggin cold winter doesn't hurt either. Makes the ice rock solid.

BuB400
12-30-2004, 03:24 PM
The last year we ran that it got up to about 50 degrees that day. One pickup fell through the ice in front of Duck Inn. The ice was so rotten you could see the quad in front of you just bowing the ice. Scary but one of the best rides I was ever on.

450ar
01-03-2005, 06:23 PM
This is a question for non ice raceing. I live in the milwaukee metro area, and i dont have an "up north' i only get to ride about once a month if i am luccky and the place usually sucks for sport quads. I normally go with a buddy form high school or a co worker. When i go with my friend its usauly to his grandpa cabin on the wi river a mile south of portage( near the dells) The place we ride isnt a trail but just in the woods and we end up trying to make a track, but it is gone each time we come back because of the wi river flooding it. His dad is part of a hunting group/ co-op and they have a cabin in florence wi. Its right on international paper company land. The company allows atv use through out the extensive logging roads. This place is pretty neat for xc type riding, but my buddy has a 87 250 es so he cant keep up with my 450r. The other problem is that its too far away so ive only been there once.
The other place i ride is my buddy form work dad's 120 acre farm. He raises beef cattle so uses the place to grow alfafa for the cows. Its basicly a grass flat track for us, but his dad doesnt like us taren it up anymore.
So i was wondering were to do you ride and if I could come ride with you sometime. If you ride a personal track on your own land I would willing to help you mantain it.

Toadz400
01-03-2005, 10:21 PM
flyin#5 and I are here in the Mid-Western part of Wisconsin and we ride on a guy's private track just a few miles from us. It's a dirtbike track but some of the jumps can be hit safely on a quad, it was a blast riding on it the few times I have. We also have a few trails around here but not too much to brag about...but once you head up north towards Hayward it's endless. flyin#5 has a cabin up there so if you ever wanted to meet up with us up there we could have a good weekend ride, just make sure you have skidplates and at least 20" rear tires:D . The trails aren't very forgiving in some spots...

450ar
01-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I am in the milwaukee area lets ig a plan goin for next weekend.

450ar
01-25-2005, 08:53 PM
anyone? wi

Bergy
01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Me and some guys will be riding this weekend either on Lake Poygan/Rat River (central WI, SE of Fremont) or Lake Winnebago, possibly down by Van Dyne (Wendts Marina).

450ar
01-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Which big city on lake winiabago is that? Fon du lac, oskosh, or appleton?

Bergy
01-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Van Dyne is half way between Oshkosh and Fond Du Lac on Hwy 45. There are some snowmobile races and other activities out there this weekend including a band in a big heated tent on the lake Saturday night.

2001-400ex'er
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Yah I heard there are some snowmobile races on Winnebago on Saturday and I might take my fourwheeler to just cruise around on for a while. Maybe ill see ya there.

450ar
01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Is thier open water in the middle of winnibago?

Bergy
01-26-2005, 09:13 PM
2001-400ex'er:
There will also be atv and dirtbike races there the same day. We have decided to ride Lake Poygan and the Rat River during the day (less people, better riding), but will be attending the festivities on Winnebago later in the evening.

450ar: Lake Winnebago is a huge lake and it's very possible there still are some open spots. I only ride that lake with a person that knows it well, there can be some unsafe spots. I would reccomend hooking up with a local if you plan on riding there.

450ar
01-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Your going to lake poygan and the rat river? Would it be all right if i tag along?

Bergy
01-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Where do you live? We're meeting at the County Park on the southside of Lake Poygan in Winneconne. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=Winneconne&state=WI&zipcode=
We will be meeting at 10am on Saturday. I PM'd you my cell phone #. Call me after 3:30PM on Friday or leave a voicemail with your contact info. Show up with a full tank of gas and some extra cash for a fuel stop or two (some gas stations along the river) and some grub. I will check this board once early Friday, but will not be able to check it again until after the ride. If anybody wants to ride just show up.

Bergy
02-01-2005, 06:04 AM
450ar and myself hooked up with about 12 other guys on quads. It was a good time, I only wished the group wouldn't have stopped so often, and maybe rode a little more. We did get some great riding in on the Rat and Wolf Rivers though. I'd like to thank 450ar for making the long trip up to ride with us. I would guess we will go again in a few weeks if the weather holds up.

mynewtoy
02-06-2005, 09:15 PM
i have been out on lake wisconsin the past couple of weekends. This weekend it was too warm. There were puddles on the ice and with the studded tires you would just stick instead of slide. Next weekend I am going to go to Clark county and ride. I have some friends from Lacrosse that ride with me and my parents live in Osseo. Since it is going to be cold this week and it rained today I am hoping the ice will smooth out and freeze so I can take a day off work or even take a couple of early days and do some ice riding. They have two nice tracks that they plow for races.