PDA

View Full Version : Cam/pipe combo and ride heigh questions

Bad Azz Bob
10-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Hey guys, I'm either getting a TRX or a YFZ in a month or less and had some questions for yah, (I'm not asking you to choose my bike like alot of the posts i've seen lol) Ok.... First I went to my local dealer, and sat on one of theese. It Feels GREAT very comfortable, good ergos like the feel of the controls, however. It feels a bit on the tall side, does lowering the suspension all the way help alot cornering wise? Also do they slide willingly? (as good or better then a 400ex?) and this question I know you all get alot.... whats the best pipe/cam combo for an all around increase (I think im gonna go with a Sparks Stainless) Im looking for get up and go kinda power (strong bottom end, with a hard hitting mid but I wouldnt wanna lose any on top.) I've heard hotcam stage 2, and sparks agressive drop in are good for this? Also Hows the JE 12.1:1 Piston Sparks offers? Has anyone here tryed it and if so hows it perform on pump gas? Thx -Bob

RedRacer44
10-19-2004, 12:51 AM
As far as your suspension question, when stock they do have a tall/tipsy feeling. Taking all the preload out of the front/rear shocks helps out a lot on cornering and over-all ride. It does slide very well, just gas it and throw some body english into the corner and away you go!

As far as best pipe/cam combo, heh....thats a tough one. Dyno numbers are hard to go by and opinions on here are hard to go by also because not too many people on here have tried various cams/pipes.....just cams/pipes they have bought. The popular choices seem to be with the Sparks cam, StageII HotCam, and the HRC cam......any of these will make good power and you will be satisfied I believe. As far as pipes....heh, lots of choices but seems that the popular pipes that are getting good feedback is the Sparks and HMF. I've heard good things about Yoshi and the White Bros titanium and the carbon pro exhausts.

I have just ridden a TRX with a stageII hotcam (my quad) and a TRX w/ the HRC cam....the power was very similiar in which there is a strong mid-range with good bottom end coming from the pipe and high-comp pistons being used in my quad and my friends quad.

The HotCam is cheaper....the HRC cam you have to buy the full HRC kit to just get the cam I think, and the Sparks cam is the most $$$ out of the 3 popular choices.

Just an over-view of what seems to be working for everyone on here and from what I've gathered from the MX races locally here.

Bad Azz Bob
10-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Thx For the info. -Bob

Motoman440
10-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm runnin a full HMF system along with the full HRC kit (excluding the exhaust end-cap). IMO it doesn't get much better than that. Used to have a C-Dale Moto and I have never been on a quad that performed like it did but with the set-up on my 450R I feel it is a very close competitor from a power standpoint. I still need to work on my suspension to get a C-Dale ride but the power and torque are very similar.

450 Racer R
10-19-2004, 10:03 AM
I got the TC exhaust and the HC stage II. my jetting's way rich with this exhaust, but with the yoshi ti-pro exhaust it was dead on and hauled ***. it still pulls just as good as with the yoshi but as soon as I'm healed up i'm gonna throw in the HRC needle and rejet. it should put out a lot more power if i lean it out some.

Blown 331
10-19-2004, 11:01 AM
HRC cam with Yoshimura TRS.