PDA

View Full Version : Her time is almost up...

Screamin440
10-18-2004, 07:44 PM
I didn't know where else to post this, so I figured I might as well post it on this site since it seems like this will be my new home for a while.

On November 14, 2003 my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer. Specifically, she has glioblastomas, which are stage IV tumors, the most aggressive tumor that you can get. They are incurable and there is no surviving them. You can beat them for a while but there has been no successful survivor that has been diagnosed with them.

When she was originally diagnosed with it the doctor said that she had maybe 6 months to live and that was if we did the radiation and the chemo. She chose to do both since she wanted to try and fight it. The radiation did wonders, they shrank the tumors to half of their size and it was like she wasn't even sick. She was walking around the house, cooking, cleaning and just being her normal self. A week after they stopped the radiation my stepfather took my mom down to our condo in the Cayman Islands for one last trip. While they were down there, the tumors came back with a vengeance. By the last day, she was literally hanging onto my stepfather as they walked so that she didn't fall.

When they got back, they started the chemo but it never worked like everyone claimed it would. It never gave her the quality of life that the doctors said it might. In fact, all it really did was take away from the really good days that she did have.

Pretty soon it was to the point where she struggled for even the simplest of words. My mother had always been very articulate and a very intelligent woman and here she is struggling to get out three word sentences. I left for work one day and I said goodbye as I headed out the door. Before I got the door shut I heard two 'goodbyes'. I opened the door back up because I knew my mom's nurse was in the room with her but I didn't know who else was in there. I stuck my head back in the doorway to the room and looked around. My mom kind of smiled and said "I guess I can talk today. Have a good day at work."

She had quite a few setbacks including one day when she fell and broke the pelvic bone in her hip. They pinned that back together and it healed remarkably well. A couple of months later she tried to walk when no one was around and she fell fracturing a vertebrae in her back. That healed and then a couple of months later the fracture opened back up making her completely bed ridden. She was never able to walk again after that. The only time she's been able to get out of the bed is when we would pick her up and set her in the wheelchair so she could go outside for an hour or so.

She has put up one heck of a fight but it is getting towards the end. As of last night she isn't able to swallow liquids or any type of food. If the swelling doesn't go back down in her throat to where she can start swallowing again then she won't make it through the week. When she first got sick she made it perfectly clear that she did not want any IVs in her nor did she want any tubes that would keep her alive. As hard as it is we are honoring her wishes and we are not going to keep her alive artificially.

She can no longer speak or move any of her limbs. That only sort of communication that we can receive from her is if she bats her eyes. To have someone look directly through you with glazed over eyes is the weirdest feeling that you could ever have. I was just upstairs telling her I love her and I thought she was looking directly at me. When I moved away from her bedside she kept staring in the same spot that I was. I really don't know if she even saw me, I think she just knew where I was.

I really don't know why I posted this but I just felt like I needed to talk about it but I didn't want to burden someone in a person to person talk. All I can say to everyone here is please don't take life for granted. I've read those cheesy chain letters that you get in e-mail that are really along the same lines as this post. I never really took into consideration what those forwards meant until this happened with mom. It really is true that you never know what life will have in store for you so everyone should live for each day. When you think you are having a bad day think back on this post. She will be missing the birth of her second grandchild by 2 months as well as everything that she should have been enjoying as she was only a few years away from retirement. She would have been 50 on Christmas day this year.

This is all I can handle to type tonight.
-Tanner

LTandRaptorider
10-18-2004, 07:50 PM
very sorry to hear this... :( be strong,take care bud. And you're so right about not taking life for granted. :cool:

I-7
10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Im very sorry to hear this news about your mother :( . Your mother and your family will be in my thoughts and you are very right about not taking life for granted. I wish the best for you and your family

Rastus
10-18-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear this also.:(

My Dad passed away from Cancer in 2000 after fighting it for 7 years.., I was only 12.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

:(

440exnacsracer
10-18-2004, 08:16 PM
very sorry man, try and remember all the good things and times you had, you are in my prayers, and may god be with you

dpizz450
10-18-2004, 08:29 PM
man really sorry to hear that. i can't imagine how it would feel losing a parent. it was bad enough for me losing my grandpaw a few years back. you and your family will be in my prayers.

fastmofo
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Very sorry to hear about your mother, if there is anything we can do, be sure to let us know.. god bless

bulkdriverlp
10-18-2004, 09:08 PM
sorry to hear bout mom, must be hard, remember all shes done for you and the good times.

TC440EX
10-19-2004, 12:00 AM
All of us here in California send our prayers For your Mom and the family. Hang in there and try to be strong for her.

zfire_28
10-19-2004, 12:51 AM
My soon to be father-in-law died of cancer back in 2000 after putting up one hell of brave 2 year fight. I am very sorry to hear what your mom and the rest of your family are going through. My prayers are with all of you.

MY450R
10-19-2004, 06:21 AM
very sorry to hear it.
try and keep your head up.i know its very sad but you are still alive and well.so sorry to hear it

Jennys440'Dale
10-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your mom. Yes, there are too many people out there taking life for granted. Some people just need to slow down and enjoy each day they have here.

Good luck and prayers go out to you and your family......

400exdad
10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
My prayers are with you Tanner. I lost my father to cancer several years ago after his lung cancer masticized to his brain. We did the chemo and radiation therapy too. Looking back, I still don't know if it was the right thing to do or not.

One of my last memories of my father was when I was out in the field at work. I was heading back to the office when I saw my parents turning and going the opposite direction after going to the MRI appointment. I can't help thinking about what was going though his and my mothers mind at that point. Basically staring mortality in the face.

You're right about wasting life and it's difficult to do everything you want to. I don't do some things (like great vacations) due to the lack of funds. I also refuse to go into debt to do it. Weird huh? Anyway, I also generally hate the chain letters, but the one I do like is the one about not wasting a day. Don't worry about a dirty house, have folks over anyway..... do you know the one?

It sounds like your mom has been through quite a bit. You'll always remember those good days (and unfortunately the bad) as you go through life. Be strong.

416mx
10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS, I WAS RAISED BY MY MOTHER AND DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT HER, ALMOST LOST HERE A FEW YEAR BACK WITH A HEART ATTACK AND BYPASS SURGERY. I WISH THE BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, PLEASE TELL YOUR MOM THAT EVERYONE HERE IS THINKING AND PRYING FOR HER.
DARREN #669

Quad18star
10-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Wow .... that really hit me down low in my heart . I can't even imagine how hard it has been for you and your family . Your mother is a strong person ... not many people would put up the fight like she did . Like you said and many others have said also .... life is precious and fragile .... you take it for granted until something gets thrown into the mix and really put's a different spin on things . I think everyone out there knows someone fighting Cancer or someone who has fought the battle with cancer .... one day they will find a cure for it and the lives of millions will be saved . My mom's step brother is head of the Cancer Research Centre here in town ..... it is one of the largest cancer research centres in North America .... they have already found a cure for a certain type of Cancer .... but because of all the red tape and politics , it may take 10-15 years before the treatment will be available to the public . They are so close to finding the cure for all types of cancer , they can almost taste it .

That being said .... stay strong , and know that the prayers of everyone on this forum are with you and your family .

400grl
10-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm so sorry...........I don't even know what to say......except....as a mother, when my time comes, I will be content and at peace with everything as long as I can look at my kids and know they are happy and healthy - that means I did my job, and did it well - and that is the most important thing to me. I am sure your mother feels the same way......she will have regrets of not being there to see other parts of your life.....but I think she will be satisfied with her job being well done. God bless you and your family.......cherish this time you have left with her......

Screamin440
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Well guys, I got the call to come home from work today. This may be the end of it. I've called both of my brothers and they are coming home.

I'll let you guys know when it's over.

-Tanner

Pappy
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
we are all here for you to lean on. be strong for her :(

zephead400ex
10-19-2004, 12:20 PM
My mother has been fighting breast cancer for over 2 years now but is still on top of the cancer and continuing to beat it. I can only imagine the agony you have went through and will continue to endure. Stay strong and keep your family and friends close.

My thought and prayers are with you and your family!

jmoney45
10-19-2004, 01:11 PM
I am very sorry to hear this. My father died of hodgkins disease when he was 32 (i'm 33 now). My prayers are with your family. :(

ny300exrider
10-19-2004, 01:19 PM
hey man im really sorry to hear the bad news. 4 days after the september 11th attacks my dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor that was cancerous. he did radiation and chemo and it drained the life out of him. The surgery was a success and the tumor was removed with a tiny peice of his brain stem which made his head alittle boggled but cancer free. now 3 years later he is almost 100%. landscaping every day back to normal, does the normal things and has been talking about wanting a quad to ride with me. i was very lucky with my dad and it couldve ended up in a turn for the worst. i will keep your mom in my prayers, stay strong and good luck

stiffy
10-19-2004, 01:35 PM
:( I don't even know what to say other than I'm sorry you have to go through this be strong and the very best to you and your family. *tears*:(

Mxjunkie
10-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Stay strong, keep your head up and fight it till the end, My mother has become very ill (36) and she wont tell us what is wrong, im kinda scared but, my mom mom had told me to stay strong, keep your head up and fight it till the end and i look back on it, its just something that happens and you have to deal with it bad or good. just hand in there it will get better ;)

Screamin440
10-19-2004, 04:11 PM
It is finished :(

FTR250Rnif
10-19-2004, 04:19 PM
OMG. wow dude I dont know what to say. Im so sorry. ypou have all my prayers. shes in a better place now.:( Im sorry

LTandRaptorider
10-19-2004, 04:37 PM
:( :(

Quad18star
10-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Im sorry to hear that bro ...... just think though ... she's in a better place without any pain and suffering . Keep strong and we're all here for you .

sickmojave
10-19-2004, 04:44 PM
:( :(

416mx
10-19-2004, 07:00 PM
The only thing positive about this is she is in no more pain,sorry for your loss, i hope that time makes your pain go away, or at least lesson. my thoughts and prayers are with you .:(

Atreyu
10-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear that dude...stay strong. :(

gratzracing24
10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
im really sorry to hear this! stay stong!

phatswinn
10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
stay strong,i know how hard it is, my dad had a massive heart attack on christmas eve in 2001 and we didnt know if he was gunna live or not nutil the quadruple bypass was over, but theres something one of the nurses told me to remember no matter what, whether living or not he will always look at you and be proud of what youve done already and what you accomplish in the future. my dad lived after what seemed to be an eternity in the hospital, but i remembered the pain i went through not knowing.

once again stay strong, godbless and my prayers will be with you and your family tonight:(

quad_45
10-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have lost both my grandfathers this year to cancer, and now my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. Its definetly a scary thing, but you always have memories!

Screamin440
10-19-2004, 09:14 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of your concerns, prayers and thoughts. I posted this at another forum that I used to call home that I've been a member at for almost 3 years with 2700 posts at and I think I have 10 replies. I was right below the thread asking which big block would be better, dual quad or single quad. :rolleyes:

I'm hanging in there but I'm not really sure how well I'm doing. I have a tendency to stick my head in the sand and wait things out for a while. After a week or so I think this will really hit me and knock me on my arse.

They should be taking my brother off of his ship via helicopter sometime soon so that he can get home. I just don't know what I'm going to do with my stepfather. He looks like a lost child just walking around the house with a blank look on his face. Of course when you ask him if everything is okay it's "yeah, everything's fine!"

I figure I'll get some sleep eventually.

HtFoxChick
10-19-2004, 09:38 PM
So sorry to hear about your mom. :( You have come to a good place. Vent with us all you want. I find the people here sooo funny and yet, we all care about what happens to each other when dealing with tough situations. Again, I'm sorry what your going threw. Take Care!!

Pappy
10-19-2004, 09:41 PM
hang tuff bro. time will heal your heart.

just dont try to forget anything! you had a life with your mom and she will live on thru you. be the best person you can be and keep her memory with you always.

TC440EX
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Be strong. Your mother will always be in your heart and be with you and your family in everything you do. We lost my Stepfather to cancer in Feb. so we understand your pain. We are here for you. Godspeed.

QuadJunkies
10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Jennys440'Dale
Sorry to hear about your mom. Yes, there are too many people out there taking life for granted. Some people just need to slow down and enjoy each day they have here.

Good luck and prayers go out to you and your family...... Boy. this really choked me up....:( Im so very sorry to hear of this. Life is too short and alot us do take it for granted sometimes,stuff like this makes us take a good hard look at that... God bless.....

LazeR
10-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Im am really sorry man, Stay strong, and just try to remember the good things, and always remember your mom is in a better place and is always watching over you and your family. I don't know how close you are to your step dad but try and be there for him, and hopefully he is there for you too. I wish the best for you and your family

pikey21
10-22-2004, 10:10 PM
i cant even talk right now
thanks for the post its tuching:( :( :( :(