PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plan ahead

APK400exRacer
10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Well i have been thinking a lot about what sort of carreer id like to get into. I am only 14 but in a few years ill be able to get a job. When you are 18 you can be a driver for one of the biggest excavating businesses around here call "The Briar Corporation" What do yall think would be good carreers? They give you all this for benefits: Competitive Wages
Paid Vacations
Paid Holidays
Profit Sharing
401k Plan
Health Insurance
Life Insurance
Loyalty Bonus

Now i am good with computers so may do something in that field. But i also want to do something i enjoy.

Also could yall maybe put your occupation and maybe salary if you dont mind?

Edit: Anyone know what the 401k Plan is?

Quad18star
10-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Well I'll just tell you , make sure you do soemthing you'll love . Especially when you gotta spend the next 30 or so years with them .

I started off going to college for Civil Engineering ... I thought it was something I'd enjoy ... wow was I wrong .

Right now I'm the Assistant Manager of an aftermarket parts and accessories store for snowmobile , atv and motorcycle parts . I love it . I've always been interested in Management and seeing how I love the outdoors and the recreation aspect , it was a perfect job for me .

I have :

-Full Medical coverage
-Retirement package
-VERY good salary ( I preffer not to disclose it because people I work with visit this site)
-Paid Vacation
-A percentage of my wages is invested for me and I can take it out at anytime .
-Bonuses
-Freebies

I live well .... and I work for a great company . I actually enjoy going to work . All this and I'm only 21 years old .

47501exracer
10-18-2004, 07:55 PM
A 401K plan is a retirement fund that you and usually the employer both pay into and when you retire you will have accumulated X amount of dollars into it. You then have options on how it is withdrawn. Like for example, you contribute 5% of your salary and the employer matches your 5% each pay period. You could accumulate several thousand dollars into it by the time you retire. I have one through my work and I could have well over 500K into it by the time I retire.

Definately find something you enjoy but here's where alot of people make mistakes: They find a job that pays $18 an hour and think that's killer but the benefits suck so bad they pay out the *** for insurance and don't get much time off.

It sounds like the job you describe has good benefits. Just make sure the company will be around for a long time.

You will NEVER regret going to college if you choose so. You'll always have something to fall back on. So if I were you I would get a 4 year degree in something you like and try to work for the excavating company part time or during summers until your done with school. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want outta life. Good luck!

400exrules
10-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Well I'll just tell you , make sure you do soemthing you'll love . Especially when you gotta spend the next 30 or so years with them .

I started off going to college for Civil Engineering ... I thought it was something I'd enjoy ... wow was I wrong .

Right now I'm the Assistant Manager of an aftermarket parts and accessories store for snowmobile , atv and motorcycle parts . I love it . I've always been interested in Management and seeing how I love the outdoors and the recreation aspect , it was a perfect job for me .

I have :

-Full Medical coverage
-Retirement package
-VERY good salary ( I preffer not to disclose it because people I work with visit this site)
-Paid Vacation
-A percentage of my wages is invested for me and I can take it out at anytime .
-Bonuses
-Freebies

I live well .... and I work for a great company . I actually enjoy going to work . All this and I'm only 21 years old .

wow u have made some good choices in life havent you :cool:

bulkdriverlp
10-18-2004, 09:27 PM
wound up driving trucks instead of finishing college i drive propane truck, like to drive and be outdoors. i could never be stuck in a building for eight hours. i have
100% company paid blue cross for me and wife.
paid 2 weeks vacation after 1 year
sick hours that accumulate
free cell phone
5 uniform shirts and pants
coveralls
jacket every year
bosses wife brings baked goods in every day in the winter.
401k with up to 10% match which has happened 4 years in a row. \
got 1.00 raise after 90 days
.50 cents every jan.
after 2 years service get 3 weeks paid vacation.
every july 1st profit sharing check
christmas bonus with ham and party

not bad at all.