PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview?!

400exrules
10-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey im 16 years old and target just called and i have an interview tomorrow at 4:30. omg im so dang nervous...im gonna wear khakis, dress shoes, and a tucked in polo shirt. I really REALLY want to work here, especially since the guy that will be my supervisor, ive known practically my whole life.

Does anyone have any tips or info on what to do at the interview, wut kind of questions they might ask or how to answer them? im kinda nervous lol

thanks

10-18-2004, 05:49 PM
do NOT ask about your pay at your interveiw. only ask about it once they have said "you got the job" if they mention it during the initail interveiw...just act like your not interested in money, and you'll work for whatever they decide.

when you call back for a follow up, even if you dont get it...be polite, say thanks for your time...etc...who knows, someone might quit and they'd follow up on you.

when it comes to interviews...your on time if your 15 mintues early, your late if your ontime....job employers like to see promptness, they dont wana wait around...

I-7
10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
They will most likely ask you how you do in school and why you want to work for them so think of a good answer and just show that your nervous. They would rather see a timid person come in then a self centered jackass. Just try to be yourself and dont stutter :p .

bansheeguy77
10-18-2004, 06:00 PM
they will say tell me a little about yourself? what do you do in your free time. why do you think they should pick you? do u miss alot of time? the easy stuff, retail jobs during this time of year arent that hard to pick up if you answer right. dont be so nervous unless your real bad under pressure you will do fine.

400exrules
10-18-2004, 06:02 PM
what do i say when they ask why i want this job or why i applied here.... this is what i was thinkin

I have always liked target for it being a very clean store and all the employees are very polite to me. I would enjoy working in this type of environment. ......somethin like that....and should i say that im tryin to save up money to get a truck? or just forget the money part and pretend that i wanna work for target and not for money

10-18-2004, 06:10 PM
read my post....do not mention money..if anything, say your starting to rack up a few bills, and you searched around for a job...and this was the first place you checked into..then give your reasons..but dont just say "im saving mney for a truck"

310Rduner
10-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Say you're looking for great work experience:confused:

Guy400
10-18-2004, 06:50 PM
They'll probably ask you about the theoretical physics regarding wormholes:huh

Bill Hancock
10-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Be yourself!!!

400exrules
10-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
They'll probably ask you about the theoretical physics regarding wormholes:huh

I KNEW IT!!!!! OH NO IM SCREWED!:eek2:

Quad18star
10-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Ah man ... I love interviewing first timers .

I have been involved in the hiring process of new employees at work . I've been in your shoes before , being asked the questions ... now I'm the one doing the asking .

First thing first .... the interviewer is no different than you or I . We KNOW you're nervous ... everyone is . One thing that will reduce the nervousness is to be prepared .

Show up early ..... 10 to 15 minutes before hand . This lets us know you will not be late or last minute . Usually the 10 or 15 minutes before a shift is when you have briefings with the employer or another employee as to what tasks need to be done . Also being early , allows the employer to watch you and see how you act . I know at work I always wait about 10 minutes before interviewing someone .... I'll sit in the office and observe the person .

Be prepared ..... we're gunna ask you different types of questions and put you into different scenarios . What will you like most about the job ... what will you like least . We want to know your personal skills .... personal attributes . What are your strengths ... weaknesses.

People say don't ask what the wages are .... wrong ... I don't care if you ask me , nor does 99% of employers . We know noone works for free and hey .... not everyone can live off 8$ an hour . Most employers will give you the starting wage and tell you you're on a 3 month probation and you'll be evaluated after that for pay increase .

Always bring a copy of your resume ..... it shows you are prepared in case the interviewer as misplaced yours .

Most importantly .... just be yourself . Don't lie .... cuz I know when someone is lieing ... you can tell by how they act .

Your atire sounds right for the job .

Just remember , that the person interviewing you is no different and that he or she was in your shoes at one time . I started off with a company a little less than 3 years ago . I was a student just wanting a few extra bucks to pay for college . I didn't have any retail experience before I started either . I worked hard ... put in 110% effort .... slowly I moved up to supervisor , and now without any Management experience , I'm an Assistant Manager of a multi - million dollar store .

400exrules
10-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Ah man ... I love interviewing first timers .

I have been involved in the hiring process of new employees at work . I've been in your shoes before , being asked the questions ... now I'm the one doing the asking .

First thing first .... the interviewer is no different than you or I . We KNOW you're nervous ... everyone is . One thing that will reduce the nervousness is to be prepared .

Show up early ..... 10 to 15 minutes before hand . This lets us know you will not be late or last minute . Usually the 10 or 15 minutes before a shift is when you have briefings with the employer or another employee as to what tasks need to be done . Also being early , allows the employer to watch you and see how you act . I know at work I always wait about 10 minutes before interviewing someone .... I'll sit in the office and observe the person .

Be prepared ..... we're gunna ask you different types of questions and put you into different scenarios . What will you like most about the job ... what will you like least . We want to know your personal skills .... personal attributes . What are your strengths ... weaknesses.

People say don't ask what the wages are .... wrong ... I don't care if you ask me , nor does 99% of employers . We know noone works for free and hey .... not everyone can live off 8$ an hour . Most employers will give you the starting wage and tell you you're on a 3 month probation and you'll be evaluated after that for pay increase .

Always bring a copy of your resume ..... it shows you are prepared in case the interviewer as misplaced yours .

Most importantly .... just be yourself . Don't lie .... cuz I know when someone is lieing ... you can tell by how they act .

Your atire sounds right for the job .

Just remember , that the person interviewing you is no different and that he or she was in your shoes at one time . I started off with a company a little less than 3 years ago . I was a student just wanting a few extra bucks to pay for college . I didn't have any retail experience before I started either . I worked hard ... put in 110% effort .... slowly I moved up to supervisor , and now without any Management experience , I'm an Assistant Manager of a multi - million dollar store .

wow thanks! i just hope i dont start studdering and blabbin out stupid stuff when they ask me some of those questions about like, my strengths and weaknesses, and why i want to work there and how many hours would i want to work and stuff

Quad18star
10-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
wow thanks! i just hope i dont start studdering and blabbin out stupid stuff when they ask me some of those questions about like, my strengths and weaknesses, and why i want to work there and how many hours would i want to work and stuff If they ask how many hours , just tell them ... if its 15 hrs a week or 30 hrs a week . I got guys working for me , that put in 10 hours a week becuase of school and stuff . We work around schedules . :)

400exrules
10-18-2004, 08:03 PM
If they ask how many hours , just tell them ... if its 15 hrs a week or 30 hrs a week . I got guys working for me , that put in 10 hours a week becuase of school and stuff . We work around schedules . :)

ok ty. ill prob say 25-30 hrs. just to get started.

they have opened up several positions for hiring, since the holidays are comin around so do you think i would have a good chance of gettin it if i dont say somethin real stupid and im real polite? And since your experienced in this, what are some reasons you would not hire a person from the interview? because they called me the day after i turned in the application

Quad18star
10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Anything is possible .... as far as not getting the job , it all depends on how you answer the question the person asks you . I can't really say one such thing will turn the employer from hiring you . It's all about how you come off .... the impression that you make .... and if the employer likes you or not . Just be yourself ... answer honestly ... and if you don't know soemthing or dont understand , dont be affraid to ask .

bansheeguy77
10-18-2004, 09:50 PM

they have opened up several positions for hiring, since the holidays are comin around so do you think i would have a good chance of gettin it if i dont say somethin real stupid and im real polite? And since your experienced in this, what are some reasons you would not hire a person from the interview? because they called me the day after i turned in the application

when i got in at best buy last year they told me one of the main things they looked for was that you were "energetic" like a people person. because that was the main responsibility of the job, talking to people and maximizing the sale. which im horrible at and i hate people so not sure how i got the job :confused:
just say you love shoping at target, its a great place with titillating people and environment.

Toadz400
10-19-2004, 11:08 AM

25-30 hours? Don't you think that's a little too much to start out with during school? I work 18-20 hours a week during school and sometimes that seems like too much. You should put into consideration how much homework you get and how much time off of work you need so you don't get overstressed with your job and keeping up in school.

If they called you the day after you turned in your application and you show up early, you're polite and you be yourself, you'll definately get the job. Don't tuck in your shirt though...what's up with that? lol

Quad18star
10-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I'd agree ... thats a lot of hours especially if you're in school . But if you think you can do it .... go for it . Tuck the shirt in .... it looks more professional :blah:

FTR250Rnif
10-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
do NOT ask about your pay at your interveiw. only ask about it once they have said "you got the job" if they mention it during the initail interveiw...just act like your not interested in money, and you'll work for whatever they decide.

when you call back for a follow up, even if you dont get it...be polite, say thanks for your time...etc...who knows, someone might quit and they'd follow up on you.

when it comes to interviews...your on time if your 15 mintues early, your late if your ontime....job employers like to see promptness, they dont wana wait around...
thats pretty true I just got hired today for my new job! lol I work ata pool place during the winter..:blah:

400exrules
10-19-2004, 04:25 PM
few! just got back from the interview, and i think it went well, the guy i was interviewed by was really nice. I couldnt think fast enough to some of the questions so i couldnt respond, but i have to go back tomorrow at 4:30 for a 2nd interview...idk why, why do i need another interview?

Quad18star
10-19-2004, 04:53 PM
few! just got back from the interview, and i think it went well, the guy i was interviewed by was really nice. I couldnt think fast enough to some of the questions so i couldnt respond, but i have to go back tomorrow at 4:30 for a 2nd interview...idk why, why do i need another interview?

Illimination process .... they'll most likely ask you the same type of questions but in a different wording and ask you different questions also.

bansheeguy77
10-20-2004, 11:28 AM

yep that means they like you. at best buy i intereviewed with a manager first, then came back the second time and intereviewed with the general manager of the place. he asked me some questions (harder ones) then if he likes u he will say so and hand ya ur drug test papers :p

stiffy
10-20-2004, 11:34 AM
And also when you talk say yes instead of yep or ahha. and no instead of nope

400exrules
10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by stiffy
And also when you talk say yes instead of yep or ahha. and no instead of nope

oh lol i only say yes sir or no sir, yes mam no mam.

and i signed the drug test papers yesterday (first interview)

Quad18star
10-20-2004, 02:08 PM
They make you guys do drug tests??? LOL .... Oh man .... I'm not even gunna touch on this subject !!!!!

400exrules
10-20-2004, 02:12 PM
They make you guys do drug tests??? LOL .... Oh man .... I'm not even gunna touch on this subject !!!!!

is that bad or something

Quad18star
10-20-2004, 02:24 PM
is that bad or something

Nah it's not a bad thing .... it's just that if we did drug tests at work .... I might need to hire half new staff . :p

I could really care less what someone does on their free time ... I ain't a perfect angel myself . As long as the person isn't drunk or high at work , I don't see drug testing to be necessary .

I hire based on experience , knowledge , leadership and understanding of how a business works ..... not based on what they do after work hours .

JUSTINcredible
10-20-2004, 03:18 PM
i wanna work at your place^^^^^
:blah:

Quad18star
10-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
i wanna work at your place^^^^^
:blah:

HAHAHA ... We have the Happiest and Friendliest staff in town . :devil:

400exrules
10-20-2004, 07:07 PM
ok, the job i wanted to do, im not eligible cuz u have to be 18 so u can stay late but the labor laws wont let me stay as late as they need me to, so im gonna have to be a cashier.......im not too thrilled about bein a cashier......thats the last thing i wanted to do but oh well.

anyone else been a cashier or know if its good or bad, fun or sucks? im not lookin forward to it but its better then not havin a job at all

JUSTINcredible
10-20-2004, 07:26 PM
i was a cashier at a drug store for over 3 years. it gets old and sometimes you get the crabby customer and you make one mistake and they gett kinda b**chy at you but dont worry about it and you'll be fine. also make sure you give out the correct change and when they give you their money dont put it away right away cuz some times they might give u a 10 and they will think they gave you a 20 and think they are getting short changed. Its not to hard and im sure you can handle it

WhiteBrosKB220
10-20-2004, 07:49 PM
ya, what nacsracer27 said lol, take it easy, dont act tense, thats what they hate:macho

MY450R
10-21-2004, 12:32 PM
persistace pays man
call them everyday or every other day and you WILL get the job
trust me ive gotten many jobs like that and when i get hired they ALWAYSsay thats why i got the job
not only that i am confidant in my work and ppl see that
good luck

chucked
11-05-2004, 10:34 AM
U want to work at target?????? wtf? I think it is one of the worse possible places to work!

Dan_Guetter
11-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey now, i work at target and i love it!

chucked
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
Hey now, i work at target and i love it!

I worked at one for 2 years, i quit about a year ago, it was the biggest pain in the ***, my LOD was always bouncing off the walls and runnin around like a chicken with its head cut off, making sure everyone was always busy, 7 dollars an hour wasnt worth it, they even missed all my raises by a few months. I wanted to go to overnight, which is awesome, all the people that did it were cool as **** and you make a buck more an hour. But i couldnt with school. I was in the backroom, the backroom team leader was 18 and didnt know **** but pretended to, they never had enough PDT's (if thats wut theyre called cant remember) and they always had some b/s work for us to do anyway. Everytime i finished working, my feet and back hurt, even if i only worked for a few hours, then they started hiring *******s starting at more then I made after a year! The last few cool people I knew either quit or transfered to I pretty much had it with them and just walked out one day. And you know whats funny, the Main guy for the backroom had a heart attack and died over the summer, he was only like 43-44 years old, I always told people he killed himself because he was always so stressed out.