PDA

View Full Version : Help! +2 Swingarm: Shock configuration

sjc115
10-18-2004, 02:43 PM
I have a 1987 250x (see signature for specs). This winter I am going to lengthen the swingarm (+2).

If I lengthen it in front of the shock mount (probably the easiest way to make the modification) and leave the shock mount unaltered, I would need a shock that is approximately 15.5" long (eye-to-eye) to keep the same ride height (the Ohlins shocks from the C'Dales fit that description and can be had gotten fairly cheap). However, using this configuration will cause the shock to be at flatter angle.

Any ideas on how this might affect the ride quality of the quad?

Any other ideas on how to inexpensively lengthen the swingarm while keeping the same ride height a still using a decent shock? I know the 350x swingarm will work if you use the 350x shock, but I don't want spend the money to have an old technology shock reworked when I could get a new technology Ohlins for the price of a rebuild. Of course, maybe using old technology on an old quad is the best way to go?

Or I could do what I had originally planned which was to lengthen the swingarm behind the shock mount (retaining the lower mounts original position in relation to the upper mount) and use the Works shock I currently have. Although the shock would probably needed revalved due to the extra moment from the longer swingarm.

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

I mainly ride 'c' class motocross as a novice if that helps.

Thanks,
Steve