PDA

View Full Version : My clutch basket blew up!!!

YLW400
10-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Went riding Sunday in Easton, and lost my clutch. Came home, dropped the oil and saw metal slithers in the oil, so I knew it wasn't good.. Pulled the case off, and all but three fingers on the basket was demolished... Most of the fiber plates were broken..What a mess.. Anyone else had this happen?

chucked
10-18-2004, 06:48 AM
I saw it happen on a y125 before, it demolished the side case too.

YLW400
10-18-2004, 07:14 AM
My case it ok, thank god..... The plates are shot, basket is done..Sounds like a Service Honda call..lol

ohski
10-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Might want to look up Mikeboone and see if he has a basket or even a whole clutch... He is great to work with :macho

Wade

Here is his ebay site... Linky... (http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZkellydrywallQQsosortorderZ1Q QsosortpropertyZ1)

Johnny B
10-18-2004, 10:46 AM
I have seen this happen on a 400ex. it wasent as bad as your talking about tho

YLW400
10-18-2004, 11:04 AM
7 out of the 10 fingers were gone........

Toadz400
10-18-2004, 11:13 AM
I'd go with aftermarket, it'll probably be cheaper than buying stock Honda parts. Hinson is known to make good clutch baskets...

DannyB
11-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last year but, my basket totally exploded,and it tore the springs out of the back of the basket. when it exploded some pieces went between the clutch gear and the crank gear and it caused my clutch mainshaft to bend which caused the two gears to almost bind at one point in their rotation. I put it back together with a new clutch just to try it and it still worked but the clutch arm going into the clutch case would move up and down while the engine was running , due to the bent shaft that the arm rides on. I took the motor apart and replaced the trans shaft which was better than breaking a new billit basket and 8plate sparks clutch that I just bought. I hope you have an easier fix than I did. good luck, bubs440

airheadedduner
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by DannyB
I had the same thing happen to me last year but, my basket totally exploded,and it tore the springs out of the back of the basket. when it exploded some pieces went between the clutch gear and the crank gear and it caused my clutch mainshaft to bend which caused the two gears to almost bind at one point in their rotation. I put it back together with a new clutch just to try it and it still worked but the clutch arm going into the clutch case would move up and down while the engine was running , due to the bent shaft that the arm rides on. I took the motor apart and replaced the trans shaft which was better than breaking a new billit basket and 8plate sparks clutch that I just bought. I hope you have an easier fix than I did. good luck, bubs440

Same thing happened to mine. The gear on the back of the basket wasn't even salvageable to put on a hinson basket:scary: The rest of my motor survived though.

shamisc
02-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Same thing happened to mine. The gear on the back of the basket wasn't even salvageable to put on a hinson basket:scary: The rest of my motor survived though.

What do you need to get to replace that gear for the hinson basket? Mine just blew up yesterday.