PDA

View Full Version : Drove a SRT-4

Smokin 440
10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I drove a SRT tonight and was seriously dissappointed, for being 240hp and running 14lbs of boost it was very lackluster even comparing it to my mazda protege on 4-6lbs of boost. Aside from the straitline performance i found the handling to suck. Overall i think the car is just way to overtalked about and i was just disappointed... has anyone ran into the same thing w/ any other cars, just curious if anything else is overrated... or opinions on the srt's

Screamin440
10-17-2004, 09:13 PM
What year SRT-4? The 05s have some better upgrades, including an LSD for better slaloming capabilities and powering out of corners.

Smokin 440
10-17-2004, 09:17 PM
it was an 04, but it has lsd. O and this srt had eibach springs...

chucked
10-17-2004, 09:42 PM
its because its a dodge.

Screamin440
10-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by chucked
its because its a dodge.

Drive a Magnum R/T and I bet you don't have that same attitude. ;)

Dale512
10-17-2004, 10:10 PM
I have an SRT, I dunno I think considering the facts it has very good power, now for the handling, yes it does suck badly and the ride isnt to good to begin with and the Eibach springs arent very good they totally destroy what little bit of a nice ride it does have because they are designed for a Neon ACR, not an SRT.

Now, mine has quite a bit more power (418HP/407ft/lb Torque)than stock and I have fixed all the bad handling traits, so I like it, but my STI is still my favorite. I do think that the STI is overated stock though, stock for stock from a 2nd gear roll the SRT will pull the STI by a car length or so.

My mom has a Magnum R/T, I tell ya what, it sure surprised me performance wise.

zfire_28
10-18-2004, 07:24 AM
418 hp!!!!!! 407 ft/lb torque!!!!! wow......what kinda 1/4mile times? You get those numers from a dyno???

chucked
10-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Screamin440

Well that and the 300C dont count... they are b/a

Dale512
10-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Yes, those numbers are from a dyno, I'll see if I can find the graph and scan it up for you. Haven't taken it to the track yet, not going to until spring, I have to work on getting that power to the ground over the winter. Those numbers are on pump gas @ 25lbs of boost, thinking of maybe switching to 100+ Octane and jacking the boost up to around 35lbs, but dunno yet, if I do it won't be until next spring.

PS. Anybody see the new 300C SRT8 their coming out with next spring? 6.1-Liter Hemi with 425HP/420ft-lb Torque, looks pretty bad*****.

Screamin440
10-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
Yes, those numbers are from a dyno, I'll see if I can find the graph and scan it up for you. Haven't taken it to the track yet, not going to until spring, I have to work on getting that power to the ground over the winter. Those numbers are on pump gas @ 25lbs of boost, thinking of maybe switching to 100+ Octane and jacking the boost up to around 35lbs, but dunno yet, if I do it won't be until next spring.

PS. Anybody see the new 300C SRT8 their coming out with next spring? 6.1-Liter Hemi with 425HP/420ft-lb Torque, looks pretty bad*****.

25 lbs of boost on pump gas? :huh What kind of timing are you taking it down to?

Taco
10-18-2004, 12:11 PM
There is no such thing as a good handling FWD car IMO

UglyMotha™
10-18-2004, 12:15 PM
SPEED KILLS......... DRIVE A FOUR BANGER LIVE FOREVER :o

Dale512
10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
My cam timing is stock, as for my ignition timing I wouldn't know. I know the stock PCM starts pulling timing at 17 or 18PSI, needless to say I don't have the stock PCM anymore, but I'm sure the PCM map that PSI-FI made for my setup has to pull some timing to hold 25PSI though on pump gas.

Screamin440
10-18-2004, 01:17 PM
What turbo do you have on it now? I can't see the stock turbo being efficient after 20psi.

acold7dusta
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM

i know!!!! those things are awesome!!! so fast, and handles like a dream!!...oh yea we might get one too;)

kawasaki_ridah
10-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
I drove a SRT tonight and was seriously dissappointed, for being 240hp and running 14lbs of boost it was very lackluster even comparing it to my mazda protege on 4-6lbs of boost. Aside from the straitline performance i found the handling to suck. Overall i think the car is just way to overtalked about and i was just disappointed... has anyone ran into the same thing w/ any other cars, just curious if anything else is overrated... or opinions on the srt's

i drove one saturday, i thought it had decent power. the tranny sucked tho, i thought the shift from first to secound sucked really bad. it is overrated i believe, they raised the price to 25 or 26 when it was 20. but i liked the seats it was comfortable and like i said it was decently quick if you could get the thing to shift!

MOFO
10-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Taco

ahhh, I agree to a point... I'll add to it...

there is no good HIGH horsepower FWD car that handles well. You can only send so much power to a FWD before torque steer becomes a major problem.

I know older lightweight GTI's with decent power handle like they are on rails...

Screamin440
10-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
i drove one saturday, i thought it had decent power. the tranny sucked tho, i thought the shift from first to secound sucked really bad. it is overrated i believe, they raised the price to 25 or 26 when it was 20. but i liked the seats it was comfortable and like i said it was decently quick if you could get the thing to shift!

That would be that specific dealer jacking the price up. I'm not sure where you are from but MSRP is supposed to be $21k. The dealers can choose to bring their prices up to whatever they want but they cannot go below MSRP according to Chrysler rules. I guarantee that if you price shopped at another dealer you would find the prices would be lower. Depending on where you are located you might have to go online to find a lower rate. I'm not sure how big the demand is for them where you live but the demand isn't that high out here so the prices stay at MSRP.

Dale512
10-18-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm currently running a GT-61 Dual Ball Bearing Turbo from PSI-FI. The stock turbo is good for about 22PSI and thats it, but the stock fuel system is only good for about 19-20PSI.

Stock Shifter sucks really badly, I have a TWM shortshifter on mine and now it shifts perfectly, it's no Honda, but it's still good. I'm planning on going to the 3-Speed Semi-Auto when/if PSI-FI gets it done.

Smokin 440
10-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Taco

I beg to differ, I have never been in a better handling (STOCK) car than my Mazda Protege mp3 which is fwd... imo Mazda's are some of the best handling cars built...

Someone reccommend me some good handling cars i wanna do some testdrives before winter, nobody can ever experience too many different cars...

Screamin440
10-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
I beg to differ, I have never been in a better handling (STOCK) car than my Mazda Protege mp3 which is fwd... imo Mazda's are some of the best handling cars built...

Someone reccommend me some good handling cars i wanna do some testdrives before winter, nobody can ever experience too many different cars...

Go test drive a Camaro or a Trans Am if you want to drive a good handling car. Actually, the 3rd generation f-bodies(82 - 92 camaro and trans ams) handled better in the later years than the 4th generations did(93-2002). I'm not sure why because they used the same suspension setup from 82 through 2002.

With very small suspension work they will pull over 1 g on the skidpad. :eek2:

MOFO
10-19-2004, 04:29 AM
Go test drive a Camaro or a Trans Am if you want to drive a good handling car. Actually, the 3rd generation f-bodies(82 - 92 camaro and trans ams) handled better in the later years than the 4th generations did(93-2002). I'm not sure why because they used the same suspension setup from 82 through 2002.

With very small suspension work they will pull over 1 g on the skidpad. :eek2:

Yep, been there, done that.

I had a 3rd gen f-body with minor work (88 Firebird Formula 350 WS6 to be exact)... my buddy had a 86 GTI with the 16valve and some suspension work with good tires. NOTHING could stay with that thing on back roads. That little car was amazing! The only time I could pass or keep up was when there was a straight away... then my 350 TPI (that was massaged) would make up for lost time.

All and all, I prefer a car that has good power but handles better. I really enjoy carving some nice S turns rather than just seeing what a 0-60 time can be.

BTW, there is MUCH more to a car that handles well other than skidpad numbers.

Juggalo
10-22-2004, 01:56 PM
ya know i admit SRT4's are a good fast car for the money...but at the end of the day...your still driving a neon. i'll take something else instead please