PDA

View Full Version : hotter plug

QuadJunkies
10-17-2004, 06:41 PM
I was wondering if in the winter when temps are down in the 20's, will it run better with a hotter plug?? Just wondering what my options were ,Im running stock now....:)

cals400ex
10-17-2004, 07:02 PM
i don't think you will want that. i run a cooler plug in all but the winter months on my bike. i then run a stock plug. the stock plug should be just fine in the middle of winter, especially with the extra heat put out with your 426. the stock plug is fine in my bike in the warmer months too, but JE stongly recommends the cooler plug with their pistons. i run a ross but it is the same concept. these air cooled bikes get plenty warm. i am not saying you can't try it, but i just wouldn't.

Screamin440
10-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I can't see how it would. Your cylinder temps will be the same. The only difference the ambient temp(outside air) will affect is the heat soak on the outside of the block. Your engine will take a longer time to warm up on the outside but your temps inside the cylinder should be unaffected.

QuadJunkies
10-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i don't think you will want that. i run a cooler plug in all but the winter months on my bike. i then run a stock plug. the stock plug should be just fine in the middle of winter, especially with the extra heat put out with your 426. the stock plug is fine in my bike in the warmer months too, but JE stongly recommends the cooler plug with their pistons. i run a ross but it is the same concept. these air cooled bikes get plenty warm. i am not saying you can't try it, but i just wouldn't. thanks for the reply...;) We were just curious if that would be good or bad, I run my stock plug year round ,even when its in the 100's and havent had any issues...looks like Ill just keep it the way it is ... :)

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-17-2004, 08:26 PM
I would recommend the colder plug, otherwise you run too warm 300-310 range not good..I can see why piston manufactures recommend the colder plug

QuadJunkies
10-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I would recommend the colder plug, otherwise you run too warm 300-310 range not good..I can see why piston manufactures recommend the colder plug Thanks for the info.. :)

EPDP99
10-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Silverfox, trinity tells me that stock plug is fine. Should I be concerned about the high temps in AZ(110's and up) with my full trinity 465? So should I be running a colder plug? What kind of temp. drops will I see?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-19-2004, 08:30 AM
If you have concern I would get a temp gauge I run the warpdrive, I would have never of known the temp of my bike untill I got this (keep in mind I do have the sparks degree key which creates more heat)... before the cooler plug and scoops I was running 300-310 with race fuel and synthetic oil after the scoops and plug I believe I am around 250
As for the plug Brian at JE and Jim at Ross have both stated to run a 9 plug

EPDP99
10-19-2004, 08:36 AM
im running a JE 12.5:1 piston and trinity never said anything about a colder plug. And is that going to make any performance difference?

speedy400
10-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I would recommend the colder plug, otherwise you run too warm 300-310 range not good..I can see why piston manufactures recommend the colder plug
What temp are you talking about? the oil temp?.. btw, kinda on the topic,my dad has temp guages on all our snowmobiles, I believe he has one extra temp guage, would it be the same normal temp for 4-strokes(snowmobile running temp=as long that its less then 1250degrees). Why dont I see many ppl with wheelers own temp gauges? I know your less likly to burn down with 4-poppers but, it'd still help a ton for jetting purposes right? thanks-darren

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-20-2004, 08:41 AM
here is a link to the temperature gauges we sell
www.warpdriveperformance.com