PDA

View Full Version : Where Are the 505EX Cases Cracking?

Sandragggen
10-17-2004, 05:37 PM
After a recent clutch change (shattered fiber) on my 465EX I found a quarter size piece of piston skirt in the bottom of my motor. It seemed to run fine other than clutch slipping. I thought I might go ahead and stroke it to a 505 while I'm in there but have some reservations for the stories of cracked cases on the 505's. Where do the cases crack? In my mind I'm thinking around the crank bearings, and if so, why couldn't a guy weld around the weak area to strengthen. Pic's of cracked cases would help alot.

JMiller

Sandragggen
10-18-2004, 09:49 PM
I feel for you norcalatver. Spending all that money for 8 months has to suck. Blowing oil like crazy out the crank vent sounds like blow by. I hope you get satisfaction.

I talked to Kenz cycles today and he was telling me that the reason cases were cracking on alot of the strokers is because of the builder not balancing the crank. He went on to say that he has not had one cracked case issue since he started balancing cranks. This appears to be a stroker only problem.

JMiller

chad502ex
10-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Not to rub anyone's nose into it, but me (502EX) and my friend (508EX) have yet to "crack-the-case" on ours and we have had ours for over four years.

"True and Harmonic Balancing" your piston to your crank is key for stroking.

HArdened jug bolts also keep the head from twisting and putting additional stress on the bottom end cases.

good luck.

chad502ex.com

Sandragggen
10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
chad502ex...how's the 550R running?

JMiller

chad502ex
10-19-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm in the process as we speak building the 550R. I should have 550R dyno results within a couple of weeks. I'll post the assembly, with pictures and text. The plan is to post the dyno results on my website that I've been neglecting lately too.

Stay tuned,.....

Chad502ex.com

:macho

norcalatver
10-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I still haven't received a call from Mike at FDO as of today. I've spent thousands with them and have had plenty of problems with my big bores. The 505 was shipped and when I had it assembled it had 300lbs of compression. I called FDO and all he did was apologize. I had to pay to have it torn back down, have the piston shaved, and have it reassembled. Any reputable shop would've paid for their own obvious mistake. Needless to say, I won't be using FDO ever again.

chad502ex
10-25-2004, 03:04 PM
sounds like another so-called engine builder in PA i've dealt with 5 years ago,...

not to mention any names

:devil:

chad502ex.com