PDA

View Full Version : Intake, MX in the Mud...

Thump_It
10-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Right now I have a K&N w/outerwear running no airbox lid. Next weekend I'm going to race for the first time and it's supposed to rain and be muddy. I was wondering if I should put my WB's filter back on, or my airbox lid back on.....not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Martin Blair
10-17-2004, 03:14 PM
I race xc with no lid just make a slapsh gaurd that what i did, havent had any problems yet, and the 450 airbox drains pretty well threw the crrimped up hose thing.

Hammer trx450r
10-18-2004, 04:43 AM
The crimped up hose thing can get clogged with alot of mud and dirt. Have you ever seen the HRC lid? That is the mud flap he is talking about and it works real well. The outerwear is water resistant so you'll be fine

Jersey450R
10-18-2004, 05:48 AM
my buddy fabricated his box lid so it has like a "ram air" top. i cant really explain it but you can get the idea. its pretty cool. he rides in mud and never had a problem and has a fmf full system and runs a 180 main.

450 Racer R
10-18-2004, 06:35 AM
just pull that crimped up hose thing off. That way if any water gets in your box it'll just drain out. And the water just beads off the outerwears cover so you'll be fine with your lid off. And how's mud gonna get in your box with your seat in the way? I say just leave your lid off and haul ***. Good luck in your race...

Syrus
10-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Well id say put the lid back on just in case, i dunno how, but somehow a likl peice of dirt will find its way threw it all and just because of that it could cost ya the race. All it takes is 1 lil grain of sand to clog up that carb, but good luck next week !

450 Racer R
10-18-2004, 10:37 AM
if you're running no lid, chances are you got a huge main jet in the carb compared to stock. The size any particle that could somehow find it's way past the filter plus the outerwear would easily pass through the carb. don't worry about any of that. Just pull off that "crimped hose thing" and you're good to go