PDA

View Full Version : intake?

sandusky400ex
10-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Anyone know of a good intake for my 2001 sporttrax 400ex?

tglandon
10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
buy a k&n power lid then buy a k&n filter then buy a outerwear.

Rico
10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Here's something that GT Thunder came up with that I did a review on that works great..

Air box lids have been very frustrating for many years and for many people. If you leave them on, it hinders air flow and power. If you take them off, you have a much greater chance to get water or mud in your air filter and engine. On the 400ex, the lid plays a part in keeping the air box rigid and when you remove the lid, the front of the air box can drop and pull the air boot loose from the carb when landing off big jumps. This rubber velocity stack has a lip that curves out in the top to help deflect water. If you are careful of where you install it in the lid, it can also direct any water that comes in past the air filter and out the bottom of the box. To install it you drill a 2 inch hole in the lid with a 2 inch hole saw and simply push it in place. It has a lip above and below the lid to keep it in place at all times. On most bikes one is enough but we prefer 2 on the Yamaha Banshee.

I've been using this product for over a year now and can't express how well it works. I've tried the outerwears lid too no avail. In muddy and wet conditions this intake tube really shines. I've yet to see excessive mud or water cause issues with my air filter no matter what the conditions have been whether it's standing water or mud. It doesn't seem like it would do much, in more airflow, but it does and does it well. Contact GT Thunder if your interested in purchasing this product.

The grey ghost
10-21-2004, 09:13 AM
cut the box out

sickmojave
10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Rico
On the 400ex, the lid plays a part in keeping the air box rigid and when you remove the lid, the front of the air box can drop and pull the air boot loose from the carb when landing off big jumps.

you know they fixed this on the 03s and up. they added support mounts on the front of the air box. ;)

Rico
10-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
you know they fixed this on the 03s and up. they added support mounts on the front of the air box. ;)

My 01 has the supports up front, if I"m think of the right thing..:confused:

sickmojave
10-21-2004, 11:26 AM
this is what I'm talking about. I have a buddy with an 02 and his don't have these. :ermm:

http://img57.exs.cx/img57/9131/airbox.jpg