PDA

View Full Version : any one ever had your fenders clear coated by a body shop?

brandonpeake
10-17-2004, 09:46 AM
we had a guy bring in a yamaha kodiak camo into the shop the other day to trade it in and he had the fenders clear coated from a body shop and it didnt have a scratch on it, and it had been done like 2 years ago and was a mud runner quad, lift snorkel outlaws etc, and 1 of my friends has a rincon and said it was really tough and was very scratch resistant and it looked wet

thinking about getting some black 450R plastic done like this what do u think?

dirtriderex
10-17-2004, 09:51 AM
I really don't see how clearcoat would male your plastic more scratch resistant, especially when branches and rocks start flying. Could be wrong though.

brandonpeake
10-17-2004, 03:23 PM
it hardens and flexes all i know is every atv ive ever seen that goes where that kodiak does looks like @ss and this one looks brand new and it looked like a car when gleaming just waxed, im getting mine done just ordered new black plastic so ill keep u posted

dirtriderex
10-17-2004, 03:50 PM
yeah, pm me with results. B/C I need new plastics and if it works I will try it too. Thanks

Pappy
10-17-2004, 04:07 PM
they clear coat car bumpers so im sure it can be done. the biggest draw back i can see is the fact the fenders flex more then a car bumper does.

on a UTE the fenders are pretty solid and dont move too aweful much. the fenders are also wider for better protection from mud and debris so its possible that the UTE stayed looking good.

keep us posted

brandonpeake
10-17-2004, 06:25 PM
i had thought about that pappy but they get so covered in mud and then they 2 up ride and with the mud on the fenders since they sink them over the handlebars and then from the 2 up their pants rubbing on the fenders is like sand paper, my friend with the rincon is an 03 and its red, and within 3 weeks it looks worse plastic wise than most ive seen
im going to do it im getting the plastic for the full set for 150 and i got a friend who is going to clear it for me so it will be worth it to find out

Pappy
10-17-2004, 06:27 PM
oh no doubt it would be great if it works out.

with the technology today in the paint and coating fields they ought to have something that will work:p

drthrottle
10-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I can't wait to hear your results. I just got a new full set of black plastics, and I want to protect them too. I was going to look for clear 3m adhesive. Clearcoat would be better though.

brandonpeake
10-17-2004, 10:36 PM
i ordered the plastic sat from our shop but one of the front fenders was on backorder so i dont know how long it will take for that to come in but one of my friends works at a body shop and is getting it done for me for free since i hooked him up on his R1 so we traded out somne services, any way ill keep u posted, i race in the mid south so it will get some abuse

Pappy
10-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by drthrottle
I can't wait to hear your results. I just got a new full set of black plastics, and I want to protect them too. I was going to look for clear 3m adhesive. Clearcoat would be better though.

c&d racing is working with a company right now to bring a set of pre cut clear vinyl to help protect the plastics.

brandonpeake
10-18-2004, 07:01 AM
i had thought aqbout doing that as well, i know a gujy who puts some clear vinyl on the front of his car so bucgs and rocks dont chip up the front of the hood

Scro
10-18-2004, 11:12 AM
hey brandon, how do you like those flexx bars? i about to get different bars but havent decided yet.

brandonpeake
10-18-2004, 01:10 PM
i never installed them itraded them to pappy but they got lost in the mail, i just havent changed my sig yet im running some pro tapers
we are riding this sunday near birmingham, several R's and some yfz's as well, you interested, so powerlines and stuff along those lines
if you are email me at
brandon@mudanddirt.com and ill give u my numbers

drthrottle
10-18-2004, 08:47 PM
That'd be cool Pappy. Hopefully it's not like everything else for a 450r. They develop it then it takes 9 months for it to come off back order.