PDA

View Full Version : Best way to transfer files between PC's

Guy400
10-17-2004, 05:27 AM
Alright, here's my question. What's the best way to transfer files from my PC in Ohio to my brother's PC in North Carolina? I looked at CuteFTP but can we transfer back and forth directly between our PC's or do I need a FTP server? I've got a bunch of home videos I've recently pulled off tape and put on my PC and the smallest of these is 66mb--far too big to email. I want to be able to send them electronically to my brother.

I was looking at this:
http://www.rocketdownload.com/program.php?id=6787

400exdad
10-17-2004, 06:30 AM
I love technology, but I have had trouble finding a FTP that would accept files of that size at no charge (I'm cheap :) ). However, I never thought to trying to go PC to PC because I have dial up, so too slow. If it were me, I would put them CD or DVD and ship him to him for $3.95.

hond_rider52
10-17-2004, 11:54 AM
i just use msn messenger to transfer big files,

Disaster
10-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Create a network is what i do....Works the best....

remlapr
10-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Yep - assuming you both have cable\dsl just use MSN or Yahoo messenger and once your both signed on you have an option to send a file, very simple...

250exen
10-17-2004, 05:31 PM
only problem with that is that it takes for ever to send a file. my buddie tryed to send me a file over aol and it took like 20 minutes and it was a small movie file....
we both have dsl btw

i guess its probably the best thing to do tho...

Guy400
10-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Ah dammit. Like I said, my smallest file is 66mb so it'll take all night to send through a messenger service but WTF do I do? It's free and I've already got it so what the hell...

250exen
10-17-2004, 05:47 PM
what do you have? aol yahoo?
for aol you go to people in the buddy window, the one you type into, and the second to last one says send file. click that, find you file in the box that comes up and hit send..
if it takes alll night, who cares, its free!

10-17-2004, 06:50 PM
guy...i know when i bought my computer i was given the option to purcahse a disk that i could send my enter hard drive too...and when loaded into the new computer, it would load up all the files..im not sure if you can customize it..to make it load only certain files...but this might be what your looking for...i forget the name of it..and i didnt buy it becuase i just burnt everything to a disk.

PF300ex
10-17-2004, 08:08 PM
AOL is really slow at transfering files. I use ICQ instant messenger and it gets really good transfer rates. I actually have Miranda which can talk to all of the IM programs.

PF300ex
10-17-2004, 08:09 PM
AOL is really slow at transfering files. I use ICQ instant messenger and it gets really good transfer rates. I actually have Miranda which can talk to all of the IM programs.

p@iNn3ck
10-17-2004, 08:14 PM
setup ur own ftp server (http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/) then he can use the client to connect and dload all of them.

LazeR
10-17-2004, 11:59 PM
If your willing or already know how to setup an FTP that would be your best bet.. You basically setup the ftp to run off your comp then he would be downloading the files from your computer, i dont know the website but i recommend Bulletproof FTP Server its really easy to use you can give him a Username and password and as long as you have the server on, and your internet is on he can download files from you whenever. If you have any other questions just ask, i also have msn messenger if you want to talk on that, im going to bed, but i'll help tomorrow, just pm me if you want to do it that way, im a patient guy

besides an ftp i would recommend ICQ, because you can RESUME your download if something happens, i had my friend sending me a file one time...it was 500mb and this was across MSN Messenger, got to like 450mb, and msn decided they were going to do maintenance, i wasn't to happy