PDA

View Full Version : top end tore down, how much slack?

maxamillion
10-16-2004, 08:20 PM
well i took the cylinder head cover off of my 400ex to check if my cam chain was stretched. The top end was making an on and off clattering noise so i figured it would be the chain. Im not really sure how tight the chain should be...It moves about 1/16in up the sprocket and about 1/8in side to side on the sprocket. Is that loose enough to clatter? The tensioner seemed to look ok too. Well let me know what u guys think about the chain and if there is anything else i should check while its torn apart.

THANKS

mojoe2878
10-16-2004, 09:38 PM
that doesnt sound like its too much slack.
check you rockers too and see if they are worn and causing the noise. check the valve clearance.
do you have any engine mods( like an aftermarket cam) that would be causing the noise.
does it do it the whole time you ride or just on a cold start?
did you wind the tensioner up and let it pop back out to see if its good.

maxamillion
10-16-2004, 10:27 PM
the rockers are fine and im running the stock cam. I had adjusted the valves and it still made the noise. It makes the clatter on and off even after the motor is warmed up. I would like to know how to wind up the tensioner and let it pop back. How does that work?

Thanks

mojoe2878
10-17-2004, 08:23 AM
take the plug bolt out of the tensioner and get a small flat head screw driver that will fit in the slot thats behind the plug bolt and turn it counter clockwise until the tensioner piston retracts all the way, then pull the screw driver out. the piston should pop out fast with a snapping noise.
if ya take the tensioner out of the engine, when you reinstall it you need to retract the piston with the screw driver and hold it there untill you get the tensioner bolted back on and then pull the screw driver out. if you dont hear it snap when it comes back out then its bad.

maxamillion
10-17-2004, 01:21 PM
when u say plug bolt, are u referring to the little piece on the outside of the head that holds the tensioner in place?(tensioner lifter) Sorry im a little lost on this one but thanks for your help.

mojoe2878
10-17-2004, 01:53 PM
theres 3 bolts on the tensioner alltogether ,you got the 2 bolts that hold the tensioner onto the cylinder jug, the 3rd one thats in between those 2 is the one im talkin about...its right in the center of the tensioner. take it out and you can get a small flat head in the slot in there to retract the tensioner piston.

maxamillion
10-17-2004, 02:11 PM
awesome ill try that tonight, thanks for your help