PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Motor Gurus: Got questions about 400ex top end rebuild.

RIDER11X
10-16-2004, 07:09 PM
I posted this a week or so ago and accidently deleted it. I plan to do my own top end rebuild on my 2001 400ex for the first time and am looking to pull some info from some knowledgable volunteers.
I plan to use an OEM piston as I am told that they are the most durable...........Is this the best way to go? Or would a JE be better? If I use a JE, is a higher compression piston like a 10.5 or 11:1 a drop in, or does something else need to be done to the motor?
I got a torque wrench and aHonda service manual ready to go and will be dipping into this in a couple of weeks.

Any volunteers for info?:cool:

nakomis0
10-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Go with a JE, there won't be a durablity issue. Just drop that in and your good to go. You can go 11:1 without sacrificing much reliability., but if you want to go on the safer side go with less compression.

A cam always goes good with a piston, so might want to consider that.

RIDER136
10-17-2004, 05:38 AM
i just put a11:1 piston and a hot cams stage 2 in my 02 400ex yesterday.it took about 4-1/2 hours to do it well worth the money even honed the cylinder myself .just take yuor time and u should be able to do it big thinhg is not to rush . if u have two people makes the job go easier. good luck.