PDA

View Full Version : 416, 426, can someone explain something?

400exbiggun
10-16-2004, 06:44 PM
alright, can someone explain to me something here...

ok isnt there like a 406, a 416, a 426(425), 440...etc etc etc

now whats the biggest bore on the stock sleeve?

a 416 is resleeved correct?, then whats the 426?

sorry im just pretty confused:eek2: ...there is alot of bore sizes for the 400ex's.

also i see ALOT of people have 400ex's with like 11:1 pistons, some that have a 416 with a 11:1

is ther alot of knoticable difference between a stock ex with pipe and jets, compared to a 416ex with the same pipe, etc?

im saving for a ex but i want to race it, and ride the trails on weekends so there is no way i really want to go to a 465, or even a 440 (hear alot about blown head gaskets)

thanks,

gojk
10-16-2004, 07:01 PM
You can bore the stock sleeve to a 426 although it is reccomended to resleeve at that bore. The displacement won't matter that much, I did a 416 because I am in AZ and didn't want a prob with overheating. Also the cam will make a big dif along with the compression on the piston. But anything over about 10.8:1 you will need at least a race gas mix.

400exbiggun
10-16-2004, 07:04 PM
holy crap, a 426 on the stock sleeve...isnt that a little.....thin....

a 416 is still a stock sleeve also, whats that like .80 over?

Toadz400
10-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
a 416 is still a stock sleeve also, whats that like .80 over?

Correct.

What kind of racing are you going to get into? Do you plan on racing hardcore Amatuer Pro classes or just racing for fun? If you really want to get into it I would suggest saving up for a 450. So much better to race on plus still lots of fun to ride on the trails. Or try finding a used Z/KFX400...I prefer them over my EX for riding. But that is just my opinion.

cals400ex
10-17-2004, 01:03 AM
a 416 is .080 over.

400exbiggun
10-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Correct.

What kind of racing are you going to get into? Do you plan on racing hardcore Amatuer Pro classes or just racing for fun? If you really want to get into it I would suggest saving up for a 450. So much better to race on plus still lots of fun to ride on the trails. Or try finding a used Z/KFX400...I prefer them over my EX for riding. But that is just my opinion.

i plan to go to the track as much as possible in the summer...depending if i have a ex by then.
i dont have enough money for a 450, and the cheapest 450 i have seen used is $4000, good deal but after setting it up with a-arms, and shocks it would prob still get into $6000+

I used to have a 400ex with just the usual mods and never really had any troubles with it that much, just besides some electrical problems.

My friend has a z400, and they are cheap, but i dont really want the problems associated with the frames. My friend has the 03 granted but i still saw some frame cracks on the 04. He jumps very rarely, it cracked in both front frame mounts, we went to jack frost and is subframe broke...rewelded everything, went to a track again and the other side broke.

I plan on racing MX, organized but not serious, just for the hell of it really. But im pretty competitive and dont wanna have the slowest quad (which wont really be possible)

so what would you say is the best bore...? the 416?

Toadz400
10-17-2004, 11:23 AM
i plan to go to the track as much as possible in the summer...depending if i have a ex by then.
i dont have enough money for a 450, and the cheapest 450 i have seen used is $4000, good deal but after setting it up with a-arms, and shocks it would prob still get into $6000+

I used to have a 400ex with just the usual mods and never really had any troubles with it that much, just besides some electrical problems.

My friend has a z400, and they are cheap, but i dont really want the problems associated with the frames. My friend has the 03 granted but i still saw some frame cracks on the 04. He jumps very rarely, it cracked in both front frame mounts, we went to jack frost and is subframe broke...rewelded everything, went to a track again and the other side broke.

I plan on racing MX, organized but not serious, just for the hell of it really. But im pretty competitive and dont wanna have the slowest quad (which wont really be possible)

so what would you say is the best bore...? the 416?

If you really plan on racing, I highly suggest you get a 450. You don't NEED to get a-arms, axles, and suspension to get it race-ready. After you spend all that money on your EX, simple mods to a 450 will smoke you on a track, unless you have some mad riding skills.
As for the Z400 frames cracking, if you plan on racing MX you SHOULD gusset the frame anyway..so that would probably eliminate that problem, even though I have not heard of them cracking on the newer frames.
But, since you said it won't be serious...I suppose it would be okay to stick with Ol' Reliable. A 416 would be your best bet for MX racing, as long as you have the engine set up right...porting and polishing, FCR39 carb, full exhaust, and a Stage II cam. That should get you flying pretty easily.

400exbiggun
10-17-2004, 12:31 PM
the 450s are great, but i dont know why everyone assumes that a 400 will get killed on the track. My one friend has a couple ex's that he used to race mx before the 450s came out. He used to race a 465ex and the practice bike a 416, granted he was pretty good. After the 465 threw a rod he raced the 416 for the seasons after that and into this season racing against the 450's and he did quite well.

Now he is also racing the 416 in flattrack after a bad crash in mx. I believe thought he is making it into a 500 soon.

my point is that the ex's are still in the game.

And i can still get a "race ready" 416ex for under the price of a used 450r.
I have seen (just recently) about 3 ex's with 416's, extended a-arms, shocks and axles going for about $3000-3500

Toadz400
10-17-2004, 06:49 PM
And i can still get a "race ready" 416ex for under the price of a used 450r.
I have seen (just recently) about 3 ex's with 416's, extended a-arms, shocks and axles going for about $3000-3500

If you can get a race ready 416 for that much, I'd definately go for it. I was just saying that a lot less effort is needed to go far on a 450. If you have awesome riding skills and go from a 400 to a 450, you're definately going to be faster.