PDA

View Full Version : how do i check for spark?

kilabeez0
10-16-2004, 02:42 PM
FINALLY got my 200x back together after like a year and a half. i go to kick it over and nothing. aaaggghhhh. how do i check for spark? i put the plug in the boot and held the tip to the cooling fins and kicked it over and there was no spark. i dont have the little aluminum tip that screws on top of the plug, i dont know how important it is but i dont think it's necessary. can someone give me suggestions?

nakomis0
10-16-2004, 04:31 PM
sounds like you where testing for spark right.... Get a new plug and make sure you put fresh gas in that thing

Screamin440
10-16-2004, 05:43 PM
You might want to check for voltage at the coil if you aren't seeing any spark off of the plug while it's grounded on the motor.

Screamin440
10-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I also forgot to mention that there's a cheap tool you can buy that tests for spark at the plug. It is set up just like a spark plug but it has a light bulb at the end that lights up when voltage hits it. It makes it a lot easier to see than looking for that little spark. I can't remember where I've seen them at though.

fastkid400
10-16-2004, 05:54 PM
thats how u check spark, but make sure u check all the small stuff, like all the wiring connections/harness. Thats happened to me a few time, like weak spark and no spark

kilabeez0
10-16-2004, 06:02 PM
how do i check the coil? i know i have to check for ohms or something but i have no clue.

-very old spark plug:o all the crap i've bought and never a plug.

i'll check timing last because i really made sure i had it right when i put it together. however i'm not sure if the lobes were down at TDC.

mojoe2878
10-16-2004, 06:09 PM
you need a ohm meter to check for ohms. it should come with directions on how to use it..
even if your timing was off you would still be gettin a spark at the plug.

kilabeez0
10-16-2004, 10:07 PM
where do i find one? i looked at sears.com and there a million different kinds and i have no idea which one i need.

sportraxkid
10-16-2004, 10:22 PM
make sure the kill switch is on run.

fmf400ex03
10-16-2004, 10:52 PM
just go to like wallmart and get a regular 1 nothing fancy and the easiest way to check for spark works every time just hold the plug if it harts and feels like it bit ya your good if nothing happens get another 1 that plug could have been dropped or something and have a small crack or something change it out check the new 1 and check the plug wire and all that happy stuff it is usually something simple that u dont think of check the fuse my buddy blew his and messed his up changed it and it was good to rip.

buster369
10-20-2004, 11:04 AM
easiest way is to take the plug out put it in the cap and put the bottom part of the plug on the motor to ground it and try to start it. The plug will spark if the wiring is good

K_Fulk
10-20-2004, 01:41 PM
:devil: I usually pull the plug wire off, put a plug in it and have some one hold it. If they jump and cuss when you turn the motor over you have spark. :macho

UglyMotha™
10-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I find the best way to check for spark is that tak the plug out the stick her back in the boot then touch the tip of the plug to your tongue and have your buddy crank her over a few times :uhoh:

mojoe2878
10-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
I find the best way to check for spark is that tak the plug out the stick her back in the boot then touch the tip of the plug to your tongue and have your buddy crank her over a few times :uhoh:
be sure to take pics and post them if ya do it this way:eek2:

Screamin440
10-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™

You're my hero if you can do this! ;)

You do this on all V8 tuneups right? You check each plug before you finish the installation? :p