PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler on a 400ex

Humdinger4u
10-16-2004, 08:18 AM
I've heard that some people stack oil coolers to keep the motor cooler, is this true? Would it hurt anything putting 2 air oil coolers in series to give you a bigger cooler? Are there bigger oil coolers out there to do this same task?

Thanks, Michael

gyt-r450
10-16-2004, 08:41 AM
hey its good to see someone from Denver yeah im going to thunder valley today:macho >>i mit see u there but not sure about the oil cooler.

TampaBoy813
10-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Humdinger4u
I've heard that some people stack oil coolers to keep the motor cooler, is this true? Would it hurt anything putting 2 air oil coolers in series to give you a bigger cooler? Are there bigger oil coolers out there to do this same task?

Thanks, Michael I Dont see why it would hurt...I would judt get a bigger one or add a FAN to the one you have now...

Humdinger4u
10-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks, for the reply. That's what I was thinking but wanted to hear if anyone has done this and or just bought a bigger one. What are the pros and cons of it? And if there's a bigger one out there that mounts up to stock OEM mounts?

Thanks again, Michael

EPDP99
10-16-2004, 12:52 PM
you can buy a bigger oil cooler but if you are going to get a bigger tank most bigger oilcoolers will not fit in same location. I am going through this as we speak. I am going to ad a second cooler and pipe into stock sytem. so I will have better cooling and more oil so oil temps will drop. There are aftermarket kits for a secondary oil cooler that you drill and tap holes in the clutch and head covers and run oil lines from those locations to additional oil cooler but I dont want to tear down motor to add these lines. Plus I dont want to drill into those cases. Thats why I will plumb it into stock system.

Humdinger4u
10-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok that's good to know with a bigger tank and a bigger cooler. Maybe I'll just find another stocke oil cooler and go from there.

Thanks for the reply.

Michael

EPDP99
10-16-2004, 03:28 PM
The only thing is is get a stacked style(stock style), they work better than the tube and fin design and dont lower your oil pressure. They say best mounting should be with the inlet and outlet mounted towards the top or sides not the bottom. This makes for a more efficient cooling of oil not just bottom rows of oikl cooler.

chucked
10-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TampaBoy813
I Dont see why it would hurt...I would judt get a bigger one or add a FAN to the one you have now...

there was a good thread on the fan issue a while back lemme see if i can find it.... someone with the name "??????????dad" or something has fans on his.....

chucked
10-16-2004, 06:22 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103981&highlight=fans+400ex

Humdinger4u
10-16-2004, 10:15 PM
That's funny "chucked" we just did that same thing on my buddies 400ex a while back. I just didn't think they would last, but from your link they will for at least 2yr or so. My buddy’s machine hasn't had much ride time so I couldn't really ask him on how they've been doing.

I was thinking of double stacking the oil cooler and then with a radiator fan off of a raptor or something, at least then it would be waterproof that way.

Thanks for the help, Michael
:D