PDA

View Full Version : hey...i just thought of something...

Jersey450R
10-16-2004, 06:20 AM
i was wondering if theres a way to rig up the fan on the 450R's and make them run all the time. would that be ok or would it hurt something? i'm thinking the motor would go bad after a while but having the fan run all the time, i think that would be cool!

10-16-2004, 12:05 PM
id like to know this too...would the fan die quicker?

chad502ex
10-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Yes, there is a way to hot-wire your cooling electric fan. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor connector and connect to ground with jumper wire.

Chad502ex.com

dirtriderex
10-16-2004, 06:52 PM
I'd like to put a on and off switch for the fan. People do it for them sportbikes, not a bad idea

sparky450AR
10-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
I'd like to put a on and off switch for the fan. People do it for them sportbikes, not a bad idea

Ive seen this done on a grizzley before:huh

DirtDevilBT
10-17-2004, 12:26 AM
What is the point? Is the fan and cooler not efficent enough? I thought the fan went on a certain tempature, is it that you don't want to hit that temp? I don't know, I have a warrior so... pffff.

dirtriderex
10-17-2004, 06:40 AM
DirtDevilBT What is the point? Is the fan and cooler not efficent enough? I thought the fan went on a certain tempature, is it that you don't want to hit that temp? I don't know, I have a warrior so... pffff.
Well if you put the fan on before it actually needs it you run a cooler engine , which = horsepose;)

Jersey450R
10-17-2004, 07:02 AM
YES IT DOES!!!

10-17-2004, 10:57 AM
lower tempatures also means more reliability too right

450 Racer R
10-17-2004, 11:42 AM
just buy an aftermarket radiator if you want cooler temperatures.

nosliw
10-17-2004, 11:55 AM
its still got to get up to "operating temp" to reduce premature cylinder wall wear, increase horsepower, and increase gas mileage.

Martin Blair
10-17-2004, 03:01 PM
me and my dad has this same idea, but run a seprate circuit with a large resitor in it so when the engine is one the fan is on all the time at a slower speed, and when the heat sensor in the motor turns it on it picks up to full speed. We havent done this yet because i dont really think the 450 has any colling problems, if it ever does i will be doing that and prolly a ims radiator.

#1speedbump
10-17-2004, 03:16 PM
its still got to get up to "operating temp" to reduce premature cylinder wall wear, increase horsepower, and increase gas mileage

O so true. cooler engines do not necessarily make more horsepower and can actually have quite the opposite effect. I have heard nothing about the Honda having any problems overheating so why do this. Alos there are much better ways to lower temps. Water wetter, engine ice, bigger radiator.

Not only that but since when could you decipher when your fan should turn on. If you were to say FORGET you would run the risk of SERIOUS damage. I forgot that we are able to tell when our motors hit 200degrees by how hot our legs are:rolleyes:

sntheticdeluson
10-20-2004, 03:07 PM
maybe with the yzf you have to worry about a charging system but we are talking about the 450r remember no battery to charge and if you ran it all the time you wouldnt lose hardly no life from the motor on the fan

Toadz400
10-21-2004, 11:08 AM
They're talking about the YFZ450, not the YZ450F....

I would leave the fan system alone, if it turns on it's when it needs to. Having control of that, you could forget about it and cause damage if you overheat.

tdd6405
10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
no he wasnt talking abotu the yfz, he was talking about my yzf in reply to the post i made. he was thinking i was referring to my bike when i made the post.

dixonpower
10-21-2004, 02:57 PM
tdd6405 is correct if the fan is running when you are moving over 10mph you are actually losing cooling. Also consider what happens when the fan is running full speed and you hit a large puddle, the fan is put under a huge load, which could destroy the fan(and cause a huge amp draw on the electricial system). Also consider this if running the fan at all times had any benefit then why do cars with electric fans turn on and off, and before someone says what about clutch fans and direct drive cooling fans if these were better then electric fans, then the automakers would not be trying to phase clutch fans and direct drive fans out. Electric cooling fans also cost more money for the automakers because of bearings wearing out which happens inwarrenty adding a lot of extra warrent cost for the automakers, so the automakers must be getting some thing out of using eletric cooling fans (like more efficient fuel burn, lower emissions and better fuel economy). My point is running a electric cooling fan at all times would have little to no benefit and would only cause premature fan failure, letting the fan cycle on and off lets the engine run at a more stable temp giving you more fuel economy and a better fuel mixture burn (which gives you more power).

Hope this helps,
Bob :)

tdd6405
10-21-2004, 05:03 PM
well put........thanks! :p