PDA

View Full Version : help with my snake

tp300ex
10-15-2004, 09:03 PM
ok i just got my snake a weeke ago and its a red tail boa.Well i was playin with it and he was trin to bit my dad and today i feed him and hes still being mean his eyes are cloudy and hes about to shead his skin please help me

p.s i know i cant spell for $hit

10-15-2004, 09:05 PM
when i saw the title i didnt know what to think:o

Pvt. Maggot
10-15-2004, 09:12 PM
well i have no idea about snakes..but i'm thinking its maybe that hes shedding so he is irrated (sp?) and he just doesn't really want messed with..i know if i was shedding i wouldn't want people messing with me lol

Quad18star
10-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Snakes get very pissy when they are shedding their skin . most of the time , they won't eat either , or they'll eat very little . I know when I worked at a Science Center , when the snakes were shedding , we wouldn't feed them because they become very aggressive . Just let him be and give him plenty of water.

tp300ex
10-15-2004, 09:27 PM
yea well he ate to day but i think just b/c the mouse was bugen him

stupid driver
10-15-2004, 09:49 PM
so lemme get this straight..... You were playin w/ your snake and all the sudden it shot out and bit your dad? you got issues buddy.

alright, all kidding aside, you snake is simply preparing to shed its skin. All snakes shed, and they are known to be aggressive when they shed; it's just natural instinct. As for the cloudy eyes; it is another part of the shedding process. The thin film covering the eye is shed w/ the rest of the skin. You'll be fine, your snake will calm down after it sheds. If it doesnt calm down, just give it some time, it will tame up nicely.

efilnicafesin
10-16-2004, 05:15 AM
How about a pair of snakeskin boots?? If my snake tried to bite me or one of my family members, thats where he would be.... :devil:

JR3
10-16-2004, 05:45 AM
when his eyes are cloudy he is ready to shed and that means leave him alone because he is practically blind and in a defensive state cause he does not know wut is goin on around cause like i said he is practicallly blind so after he sheds he should be fine but way a day after hhe sheds to take him back out

JR3
10-16-2004, 05:49 AM
heres a good sit about their care there is so much info on the internet about red tail boa care and snake care in general good care site (http://www.redtailboas.com/general_care/general_care.html)

JR3
10-16-2004, 05:59 AM
o and by the way i use to own 2 red tail boas and i still have a house full with reptiles

SHEDDING
A well fed Boa will shed about once a month. Some shed less often, maybe every 2 to 3 months. Remember, shedding is a result of growth, and if your snake does not shed frequently, he is not eating enough. My Boa goes through pre shed in about 4 days. This is marked by the clouding over of the eyes. In the end, they will be completely clouded over. At this point, feeding is best postponed till after shed is complete. The eyes will clear, and a few days later the skin will be removed. The shed is accomplished by rubbing on something until the skin on the nose comes loose. The skin is then hung on something and pulled off. Check the "head" of the skin and make sure both eye caps came off. The tail is another area that sometimes will not remove completely. If the skin comes off in lots of small pieces, the humidity is too low. I begin misting mine once a day while in pre shed, and 2 to 3 times a day after the eyes clear. He may look at you like you are crazy, but shedding will be much easier. Unshed skin can be removed by soaking in water and then gently pulling it off. Remaining eye caps are much more difficult to remove. Fortunately, I have never encountered this. I have been told that a long soak, with plenty of underwater time (submerging head at least once every 5 minutes), will loosen them enough to allow removal. Removal can be accomplished by rubbing the eye gently with ball of your thumb. If this does not work, soak again. After soaking and drying, touch a piece of scotch tape to the eye cap and gently pull it away. I would recommend "weakening" the tape by sticking it to the back of your hand at least once before use. My advice, get help, and don't try this at home. Handling should be kept at a minimum during the shed period, as the new skin can be sensitive (or even damaged). Feeding should also be postponed for the same reasons, in fact, most will refuse food while shedding.

Shedding:

Healthy red-tails should shed in one piece, but a piece of shed doesn’t come off with the rest of the shed, the snake should be soaked in shallow room temperature water for an hour or so. The skin should then come off easily.

bulkdriverlp
10-16-2004, 02:18 PM
yuk

JR3
10-16-2004, 02:36 PM
its not that yuk after shedding they look like they are rejuvinated their scales that is