PDA

View Full Version : oil tank

mojoe2878
10-15-2004, 04:31 PM
i know theres a few of ya'll that had to get your oil tank repaired when it cracked around the drain plug.
my question is does the repair last? mine broke completely off earlier when i was taken the plug out, and i was wantin to know if its worth gettin it welded or if im better off buyin a new tank.

Pappy
10-15-2004, 04:37 PM
ive seen a ton of them fixed and most held just fine. but its of my opinion that it should be replaced. i wouldnt want to risk that sucker leaking during a ride.

sickmojave
10-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Good time for an upgrade ;)

cals400ex
10-15-2004, 06:47 PM
i had mine rewelded. it turned out good. i can't tell you if i would replace it or weld it. i hear the welded ones will be stronger than a new one would be. i can't tell you that from experience though. i just needed a quick fix. it worked great. the weld bead on mine is quite large and almost needs to be grinded off a bit so it fits in the rubber boot properly.

no one was able to prove to me that an aftermarket tank would actually cool the oil. for me, i could care less about the extra quart of oil that it holds. i was probably going to buy a stock one over an aftermarket one. i have heard more complaints about the oil being hotter with the aftermarket tanks. so, i really didn't know what to do and i figured i would spend $15 to get it welded instead of buying something that wouldn't help me. maybe i just didn't research it enough.

stupid driver
10-15-2004, 10:18 PM
The stock welded tank can be extremely strong if you or whoever does it knows how to weld. Mine held up extremely well, and i havnt heard any problems from the guy who bought it from me.

As far as the oil temp being cool with an aftermarket cooler, mine turned out to have a 9 degree drop after an hour of riding when i tested them. I did the 2 tests on different days, and used my oil temp gauge.

ewalker302
10-16-2004, 02:15 AM
Stock it is just epoxied.

It's much stonger and less likely to leak after its welded.

If you replace with stock you may have the same prob again.

NacsMXer
10-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Yeah the stock threaded insert is extremely weak and unreliable. I broke mine off up in Wisconsin on a trip and there werent any welding shops around so I just took it to a boat dealership and they heliarced it for me. Still holding up great to this day and its 10X as strong. Just take your stocker to someone who can heliarc aluminum and youll never have to worry about it again.

mojoe2878
10-16-2004, 06:25 PM
guess i'll take it monday and get it welded, looked around for a heavy duty one but there about $180, didnt really wanna go that route if i didnt have to.
thanks for the reply's everyone.

nakomis0
10-16-2004, 08:46 PM
This isnt the right way but my buddy JB welded his 2 summers ago and its still in operation..:huh