PDA

View Full Version : stock shocks...question

Jersey450R
10-15-2004, 08:37 AM
ok, i want to adjust my 450 shocks. i have the comp and rebound adjusted but i want to do the rings on top of the shocks. how can i do this with out the tool. i've tried with a flat head screw driver and hammer but i have blasted indentations in them and still cant get the top one loose. another thing, i want it to sit lower so do i move the rings up? or down? and what is the good and bad of doing both? thanks alot, dave

Motoman440
10-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Buy yourself a spanner wrench for 10 to 15 dollars. Screwing the rings up lowers your bike and center of gravity allowing to go into and out of turns much quicker and also provides more stability at higher speeds. Screwing the rings down raises the bike and your center of gravity making the bike more tippy and less stable. Hope this helps.

Jersey450R
10-15-2004, 10:09 PM
ok man thanks, thats what i thought... put them up, ok. where can i get that kind of wrench?

turboTony
10-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
ok man thanks, thats what i thought... put them up, ok. where can i get that kind of wrench?
My buddy just picked one up at SEARS. He bought his to adjust his chain so it's MUCH larger than the one you'd need to adjust your preload. I'm sure they have small enough ones though...

MX#9
10-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Put your quad up on a stand to take the weight off and get a punch instead of a screwdriver. Once you get the locknut(the top one) loose,you can simply twist the spring to your desired position. The key is getting the weight off of the shocks,It is easy,good luck.

DirtDevilBT
10-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Big Pliers Yo! lol

300extreme#8
10-18-2004, 06:12 PM
i got +2 arms with stock shocks, i adjust mine with a screw driver and hammer,but since i got the longer arms and smaller front tires, i frame out lots more and i prolly need better shocks to keep the ride height up and not let teh frame hit,but it really cost me last sat,i tripled into some whoops and my bumper caught b/c my front shocks ,and i have they both rebound and comp or w.e all the way soft and it really works well ,but i tightened teh preload down scine then and i haven't rode at a track yet but it seems better ,does anyone have this problem

300extreme#8
10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
o and since my bumper hit i went over the bars but the quad came with me and flip on me and hit me instead of the round and i got broused ribs,right lung,rotoary cup or w/e the dr said it was,under my shoulder on top of the shoulder, right shoulder blade,and 4 staples on a 1' gash on my head 3/4 of an inch deep.