PDA

View Full Version : Tank Removal

Jay300ex
04-13-2002, 12:51 PM
I know I might have been told this when I asked about the twist grip, but I cant find that thread and this is a whole lot easier I guess. Can someone tell me how to get the gas tank off again? Went to read up on it in my owners manual and it does not have anything in there about that, which is BS eh.

Jayson

Deathbringer
04-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Gas tank is super easy. First turn off the gas. Then just pull the plastic clips out of the pastic on the top and sides, to relase the black panels and the yellow or red topper by the fill spout. Then unhook the straps that are holding the tank on either side, and I think (trying to remember) there are 2 screws in the very front of the tank that hold it down and I think they are 10mm. Now carefully undo the hoses from the carb and remove the tank.

Ex'r Marlin
04-13-2002, 01:35 PM
Your 300ex maybe a little different than what Deathbringer stated. But he is right, it is basically straight forward and easy. I don't know what you need to do to your gas tank, but once you remove it, it is advised to put a clean plug or large clean screw into the hose that you removed from the peacock to avoid any debris getting in. Good luck.

BTW, I would also recommend having no one smoke around this project, just my 2 cents.:D

Jay300ex
04-13-2002, 01:58 PM
Well I took the seat off, that was the easiest, then I took the plastics that cover the front brake stuff and clutch, but thats just sitting on the light because i dont know how to disconnect the key thing. So then, I took out a few screws, took off all the black plastics on the front, but it looks as though I have to remove the red ones to actually pull the tank out. I am doing this all to get to the carb so I can hook up the twist grip type throttle.. grr what a pain. maybe i'll pick up a jetting kit or whatever while i'm down under here hehe..

jayson

Deathbringer
04-13-2002, 02:18 PM
Sorry, you are right I was relaying the info based on a 400ex, sorry didn't see you had a 300ex