PDA

View Full Version : Lifted Z71 Daily Driver??

the-ex-files
10-14-2004, 05:10 PM
I recently purchased a new 04 Chevy 1500 Z71. I am going to install a 3" body lift. (I wanted a suspension lift but it voids the factory warranty). Since I drive about 60-75 miles a day, I was thinking wrapping some 33" Swamper TSL radials on 16x8 Weld Stonecrusher rims. I wanted 35's but I think they would be to big since I drive a lot. Any other good 33" tires? What would you guys do? Thanks.:D

sprtrx300ex
10-14-2004, 05:18 PM
A suspension lift voids the warrenty, and a body lift doesnt? Thats odd.

33's should fit fine as long as you get the right backspacing.

diangelo#67
10-14-2004, 05:45 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p4f38f373021453ddc65109bb971034b1/fc9afd67.jpg
I have had almost every tire made and the best two are parnelli jones, and thornbirds. my thornbirds had 60,000 miles before I took them off and I still sold them for 200$ the pj's have the softest ride like a regular tire and great wear.... 3" body lift and tighten the torsion bars you can fit 35's no problems:devil:

MOFO
10-14-2004, 05:52 PM
LMAO... dont try that around here...body lift and tires WILL void your warranty.

Just wait for your rear end or tranny to need work...I've got $50 that says they will point at your 33" tires as the problem....not that it would cause a problem, but they will say due to the increased size, you increased the load on the drivetrain. Trust me, I've heard tons of people get screwed by this.

TM426
10-14-2004, 06:10 PM
I had thornbirds on a truck and they were good in mud for sure but on the road in snow they sucked bad. I also had BFG mud ter. and those were worse and wouldnt even hook up in just rain. I also had a couple sets of the TSL's and they were not to bad all around. The by far best tire I ever owned was the goodyear wrangler MTR's. BUY THOSE:macho :D

mojoe2878
10-14-2004, 06:36 PM
i had 38.5's TSL radials on my '03 2500, they are bad ***** in the mud but they dont last long if you drive on the road a lot too, atleast mine didnt( i also had the same tires in a 40 on two other trucks i had), when they wore out i got some gateway monster mudders, they have basicaly the same tread design as the TSL but they have been better about tread wear, butr they cost twice as much. what ever you get besure to check the air pressure often, especialy on super swampers, if ya run them a little low for any period of time it tears big chunks out of the lugs fast.

Guy400
10-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
LMAO... dont try that around here...body lift and tires WILL void your warranty.

Just wait for your rear end or tranny to need work...I've got $50 that says they will point at your 33" tires as the problem....not that it would cause a problem, but they will say due to the increased size, you increased the load on the drivetrain. Trust me, I've heard tons of people get screwed by this. I'll back Eric up on this one. Before I bought my father's Silverado off him I had put money down on a brand new 2004 Silverado Z71 and I asked if a lift kit would void my warranty. They basically told me that it was the dealer's discretion if a modification to the truck was the cause of a problem. So like Eric said, if there's some type of driveline problem and you take it in for warranty work they could very easily tell you that it was the oversize tires that caused it. If there's an electrical problem they could argue that during the body lift you shorted some wires, etc. Some dealers are much better than others but when it comes down to it they're all stealerships.

Rastus
10-14-2004, 06:54 PM
My advice would be to look into a set of BFGoodrich All-terrains. I have a set of 33s' on my 93' 1500 Silverado ( Ext. cab, 8 foot bed.) I am entirely satisfied with the purchase.

They look good, Hook-up well, They're good for lots of terrains, and They have very good highway manners.
Your truck will wear any mud tire down fast on the highway.

There's a big difference in weight between a full-size silverado and a ranger, so it's highly unlikely that you'd get anywhere near 60,000 miles on a set of thornbirds or similar mud tire. Not to mention, your wet traction and snow traction will suffer with a full mud tire.

Goodluck.

:)

honda92
10-14-2004, 07:29 PM
i have heard by many people that thornbirds suck the big one in everyway other than they look badass. a guy i know had 38in thornbirds and they made his truck wander like no other. i have also heard thornbirds wear like crap. if i were you i would check out some truck forums and ask around, but that is what i have heard. just get some 33in M/T's.. i have a set on my ranger and they do good on the road and offroad and are fairly quiet at highway speeds. they last longer and are more reasonable if your driving 60 miles a day.

diangelo#67
10-14-2004, 07:37 PM
boggers are the junk tire. they wear like ***** my boggers lasted 25000 miles:mad: thronbirds were pretty fun in the rain though:p

the-ex-files
10-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Nice looking Ranger. Thanks for all the posts, maybe I'll just crank the t-bars, and wait on the lift.

mojoe2878
10-15-2004, 06:34 PM
after you crank your torsion bars be sure to get the front end aligned because it will take it way out of alignment after cranking on them and wear you tires uneven if ya dont get it aligned afterwards. the rides gonna be a little stiffer in the front too. but no more than what it would be with most suspension lifts.

310Rduner
10-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Everything I have heard about thornbirds on full size trucks is that almost every single person on fullsizebronco.com HATES them, call them thornturds. If you don't do offroading really, and just want a larger/more aggressive looking tire just buy an All terrain. If you don't need the offroad performance difference from At to mud terrain then buy the All terrains for the onroad differences.

The 33" Bfg mud terrain Kms on my bronco are pretty sweet. It's my daily driver and I've already been offroading 3 times in 1 month. They do really well offroad at full psi over very off camber trails, through the mud, and even over serious rocks if you air down a little. Also, the Bfg mud terrain has some of the better onroad handling characteristics than most other serious offroad tires. 40,000 miles is pretty average for the Bfg Mud terrain, onroad and serious offroading. Noise isn't too bad.. I can have a conversation on the highway as long as the windows are rolled up, and I can't hear it over my sound system at a medium volume. They do hum pretty good on the street, but not enough to irritate me; I actually enjoy the sound as well.

So.. for onroad.. just buy their all terrain, and the mud terrain if you actually offroad more than once every 2 months.

Also.. look into buying them from Discount tires because you will get a no questions asked warranty on them, and they will inspect them for damage and replace/repair them at no cost if you buy the optional $40 warranty.

EPDP99
10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Nitto terra grapplers are great tires. Cheaper than bfg and hook up very nicely. Plus its an all terrain since you drive alot. My bro has them on his 2 trucks and Im getting them on mine.

user101
10-16-2004, 01:13 PM
i just bought a 84 chevy w/ 4in. of lift and 33/12.50/15 maxxis buckshot tires..these things are loud, i havent had a chance to test these offroad, or long enough to know how long they are gonna last but every truck ive rode in with theses tires seem to do fine in mud....also this thing is my daily driver for right now..im guessing its gonna get bout 12 mpg:rolleyes:

user101
10-16-2004, 01:14 PM
i just bought a 84 chevy w/ 4in. of lift and 33/12.50/15 maxxis buckshot tires..these things are loud, i havent had a chance to test these offroad, or long enough to know how long they are gonna last but every truck ive rode in with theses tires seem to do fine in mud....also this thing is my daily driver for right now..im guessing its gonna get bout 12 mpg:rolleyes: