PDA

View Full Version : to "o" or not to "o" chain that is

RobbRacer
10-14-2004, 11:06 AM
what is your opinion on the best chain to use. o-ring or non o-ring. i have heard both ways and also that for motocross non o-ring is best because it has less drag than a o-ring chain. anyway what have you heard or found out from experience? :D

sjc115
10-14-2004, 12:01 PM
I read an article somewhere that the o-ring chain does have more drag, but it is such a small amount that you will never be able to tell the difference.

ZSK
10-14-2004, 12:01 PM
There may be a little less drag with a non o-ring chain, but the rings offer a piece of mind. Knowing that they are lubed and ready to go is a plus for me. Check out the X-ring chains, have heard great things about them even over o-ring chains.

Taco
10-14-2004, 12:03 PM
I prefer X

I-7
10-14-2004, 12:29 PM
I would rather have o ring on a trail quad and regular on a mx quad because of the amount of drag....

When your racing mx...your not really on the track for hours and hours thats why its better to have a non o ring for short races and o ring for longer races or rides...

Rico
10-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Non 0-ring chains are junk

PERIOD

Colby@C&DRacing
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Run an oring chain unless you are riding a 125cc dirt bike the oring chain power loss is not even a factor and they last alot longer with less maintence.

atvrider
10-14-2004, 03:44 PM
What is the real difference between X and O ring chains?

nakomis0
10-14-2004, 10:55 PM
How do o ring chains last longer?

Goes the metal wear out on non o ring chains? All I know is so far my non oring sidewinder has outlasted my stock oring chain. I had lil orings falling off and crap.. so whats up why does oring last longer?

2001Toomey
10-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
How do o ring chains last longer?

Goes the metal wear out on non o ring chains? All I know is so far my non oring sidewinder has outlasted my stock oring chain. I had lil orings falling off and crap.. so whats up why does oring last longer?

The way that o-ring chains are made makes them last longer. The chain is made with lubrication sealed INSIDE the links, so you don't actually have to lube them as much. With a non o-ring, there is more metal to metal friction, and if you forget to lube it, it's even worse. An x-ring is basically the same idea as an o-ring, but they are decisined different are supposeldyl last even longer.