PDA

View Full Version : finally im buying a 250r!!!

phatswinn
10-14-2004, 09:13 AM
recently one of my friends decided he liked my 300ex better than his blaster...about 1000x more and offered me the 2003 blaster in perfect condition for my beat to death 01' 300ex, and he wants to give me $1000 on top of that! so im gunna sell his blaster and buy a 250r to fix up, also earlier that day i asked my precision machining teacher if i could bring in a quad to make parts for (axle, axle carriers, cases etc.) and he thought it would be a wonderful idea, to give me credit on that stuff instead of just building random jobs, i was gunna do that with the EX but truthly there would be no motivation to get it done, also with the 250r i can design my own stuff like powervavles and heads to program into the cnc, as long as i can get some nice manufacturer to lend me some blueprints, ill get some pics or the new fixer-upper R when i buy it sometime next week and ill post the blueprints or designs i make on the computer to see if theres anything u guys could help me out with making it pretty and stuff, or even want some stuff i design myself.

sorry but im really excited!! ive always wanted a R

sickmojave
10-14-2004, 09:28 AM
That's confusing on how it went from a blaster to a 250R. But the rest sounds really cool.

phatswinn
10-14-2004, 09:36 AM
well id never actually keep the blaster, im 6'4" and 195lbs, i dont fit on them well, and the handling isnt exactly up to par with how i ride

MY450R
10-14-2004, 09:38 AM
:huh I THOUGHT YOU WERE GETTING A BLASTER
where did the r come from
sorry i just dont understand your post
anyway i hope you like the r

phatswinn
10-14-2004, 08:25 PM
i was gunna sell the blaster cuz its worth about enough to get a crappy R to fix up in wemoco, but i went to check it today and he tweeked the frame, if thats not enough he was running the wrong injecter oil and blew the engine ,and on top of that theres about $500 in cosmetic problems to fix before i could even make it look like something you would want to buy, i saw it a couple months ago and it was mint too, then he let his buddy borrow it and he he crashed it pretty bad:( i guess ill have to keep savin

I-7
10-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Wait you didnt buy the blaster yet right? Because if you already bought it and just found out about the problems then I would go kick your friends a**.

You said you were going to make your axle, axle carriers, and cases??? :confused:

markk
10-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by sickmojave
That's confusing on how it went from a blaster to a 250R. But the rest sounds really cool.

i thought the same thing, But good luck man post some stuff when your workin on it!!!

LazeR
10-14-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm a lil confused, but good luck with whatever happens!

lil400exman
10-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by phatswinn
i was gunna sell the blaster cuz its worth about enough to get a crappy R to fix up in wemoco, but i went to check it today and he tweeked the frame, if thats not enough he was running the wrong injecter oil and blew the engine ,and on top of that theres about $500 in cosmetic problems to fix before i could even make it look like something you would want to buy, i saw it a couple months ago and it was mint too, then he let his buddy borrow it and he he crashed it pretty bad:( i guess ill have to keep savin

im selling my R and it doesnt need much. Just a new home its a good shape and the frame has one of te best gusset kits.it was done by tony kellner (barry hawks mechianic) its i had all the major joints re-welded.....its a very sturdy and sharp quad!:D

phatswinn
10-15-2004, 08:40 AM
how much would you be looking for? i was really looking for something to completely tear down and rebuild so i can make "Phatswinn performace" parts on it. ill be buying one by christmas at the absolute latest, i just gotta sell my 300ex and i got a few grand saved up too, PM me with the price and details and if u got pics it would be great.

phatswinn
10-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by I-7
Wait you didnt buy the blaster yet right? Because if you already bought it and just found out about the problems then I would go kick your friends a**.

You said you were going to make your axle, axle carriers, and cases??? :confused:

lol theres no way in h3ll that blasters coming near my garage.

yep, im taking precision machining in a trades school (we-mo-co) and my teacher said he would give me credit to write my own blue prints and machine parts for the R instead of doing the other jobs (parts for the quad and jobs givin to us are the same anyway, just with a different outcome and use)

by x-mas ill have a thread showing what i do to it and the parts i make, if i decided to cnc some billet aluminum for cases and other stuff ill post in on here too and probably will be able to sell them for the price of the stock (hopefully)

wilkin250r
10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Cases and cylinders? I think you might be getting a little over your head. And I don't see any way to machine a cylinder, complete with all the ports and water jackets, out of a solid chunk of metal.

I don't think I'd mess with an axle either, unless you have a huge oven for heat-treating to harden the steel, and a qualified metalurgist to guide you through the heat treatment processes.

But that doesn't mean you are at a complete loss, there are still lots of things you can do. You can probably manage a bearing carrier, aftermarket head and domes similar to the Pro-Design Cool Head, rear hubs, shifter, kick lever, probably even an anti-fade axle lock nut like the Lone-Star version. If you get real creative you can probably manage a piston.

phatswinn
10-15-2004, 01:25 PM
my teacher is a metalurgist, hes worked making stuff from high perfermance axles for funny cars to making molds for contact lenses

i didnt mean to say id be making a cylander (sp?) i ment to say the dome and the prodesign cool head, and everything else that might be possible to make, ill be making the cases probably next year with allitle more experiance under my belt, but like i said, i get credit for making the parts so ill try ever part that looks like i can make it.

DaveEX7
10-15-2004, 04:37 PM
That makes 2 of us bro! I'll have my 265r in about 2 weeks!
I'm buying it off of my race team captain, it was his old race bike now he's got a CRF426 conversion and doesn't need the R for racing anymore. Good luck with yours!

TheFontMaster
10-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DaveEX7
That makes 2 of us bro! I'll have my 265r in about 2 weeks!
I'm buying it off of my race team captain, it was his old race bike now he's got a CRF426 conversion and doesn't need the R for racing anymore. Good luck with yours!

3 of us actualy. I should be getting the down payment this weeked for my 300ex, then I have a frame that I'm buying for a frame up build.

phatswinn
10-15-2004, 09:34 PM
nice, good luck to u guys, we'll have to compare when we get done!

font master, are you just building everything with brand new parts?

TheFontMaster
10-15-2004, 09:49 PM
No most of the stuff will be used parts, just to save money. I'm only 16 and don't have that big of a budget. But I have acses(sp) to a spray booth, so all the parts will be profesionaly painted, and it will be blingin'.