PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips for muddy races?

Wingnut
04-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Tomorrow will be my second local hare scramble. It looks like it will be very muddy. I do not much experience with riding in mud. Does anyone have any useful tips that can help me? I am looking for any kind of info you have, from riding style to ATV setup. I got second in my first hare scramble and I would really like to get first in this race. Also, some of my riding buddies will be there. They don't have as much experience with racing as I do, so I would really hate for them to show me up. However, they do have more experience in the mud. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

roostfrom250ex
04-13-2002, 11:19 AM
whatever you do, don't get any mud on your riding gear, especially your boots!

cdalejef
04-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Lower your tire pressure about 2lbs less than you would normally run unless the track is real rocky. Use dielectric grease on all the electrical connections. Run the airbox lid if you have removed it ( or tape over holes if you have drilled the lid). Take your time at mud holes or creek crossings, taking 10 or 20 seconds to look around for the best line is better than digging your quad out of a hole for a few minutes. Use rolloffs if you have them. If the mud is real sticky (like Kentucky) stiffen the preload some on your shocks.

Not sure what Roost is talking about, I get my gear muddy all the time!
I have a muddy race tomarrow too!!! Good luck!!!

NJ300ex
04-13-2002, 11:44 AM
when a muddy trail is really rutted out try and stay out of the ruts. ride on top of the middle high area with your right wheel and off the trails with your left wheel or the other way around depending on which side of the trail has room.

Bring extra gloves and goggles, add handguards to your bike, and make sure everything is waterproof. You can also spray the underside of your plastic with wd 40 so mud doesn't stick to it and try to avoid as much mud as possible.

Tommy 17
04-13-2002, 12:55 PM
put rags in between ur pants and jersey so u can wipe ur hands and stuff... put on tear aways or roll offs on ur goggles... put wd40 on all ur plastic so mud dont' stick... and choose ur lines smartly so u don't get stuck or hung up...

Ex'r Marlin
04-13-2002, 01:11 PM
If it is really muddy, and you have a choice of running taller tires, I recommend running the taller tires for more ground clearence. When approaching an uphill, keep your momentum to avoid spinning the tires and not making it up. :grr

Sounds like you got some great replies.... Good luck Wingnut!

TRX250XFIRE
04-13-2002, 09:12 PM
try to run the outside of the trail, many people try just to slam there way around though the trails, if u stay on the out side were its not so mad, u will make much better time then the ones who dont

roostfrom250ex
04-14-2002, 04:09 AM
When entering turns, use your front brakes before and thru the first part of the turn. If you see roost comming off of your front tires, then your doin' it right.
Also, you may have to sit back a little bit farther when accelatering to get more traction and bite out of your rear tires.
Good luck and post a thread after the race to let us know how you did.

330exracer
04-14-2002, 06:46 AM
keep it pinned at all times!!! and if their a mud bog attack it as fast as u can.

flyin#5
04-14-2002, 10:27 AM
let some air out of your tires sit farther back on the seat and show the mud who is boss! oh yeah try to get the holeshot then spray everyone with mud as much as you can so they will be distracted with wiping the mud off of there face or goggles. when going through deep of sticky mud keep the gear low and make the tires spin!<(if you didnt already know) good luck

Wingnut
04-14-2002, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the help. I still don't understand how but the track was not muddy at all. In fact it got kind of dusty by the second lap. I got third in my class (my worst finish yet). That would not have been so bad except that one of my riding buddies got first.

cdalejef
04-14-2002, 09:04 PM
Our race was so muddy that a 4wd tractor had to pull ALL the trucks in and out of the pits! :huh :huh :huh

04-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Our race was so muddy that a 4wd tractor had to pull ALL the trucks in and out of the pits! :huh :huh :huh

That''s weak,,,,Now I see why I don't deal with CC racing only MX.

Crypted1
04-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Rico

That''s weak,,,,Now I see why I don't deal with CC racing only MX.

Should have been at London for the Nats then Rico!!! Tractor could pull most every one out of the pits, but the big guys had to use the dozer!!! One guy slid off into the woods and the dozer made him a new road. Very muddy... didn't go anywhere unless the tractor said so!

04-15-2002, 11:12 AM
I was there last year and it was a mess and seein the forcast for this weekend,,,I'm very glad I didn't go..Mud, lots of money for the racing weekend, and 400 idiots in the mud at the same time,,doesn't sound like fun to me..

04-20-2002, 09:13 PM
I was there on Sunday. The muddiest track I have seen. Their was one guy hurt pretty bad and his ambulance got stuck on the way out. they had to bring in another ambulance to take him out.