PDA

View Full Version : Carrier lubrication question

Steve-o 400EX
10-13-2004, 09:53 PM
I just bought a twin row axle carrier off of ebay with an exterior grease zerk, i was wondering how often you guys greased yours?

cals400ex
10-13-2004, 11:05 PM
very seldom do i grease mine. however, i don't hit much mud or water with it either.

zfire_28
10-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Grease it good when you install it. After that you shouldn't have to grease it more than a couple times a year if you don't go through much mud or water. The RPM of your axle is not very high so it does not put much wear on the bearings. BUT if you go though a lot of mud and water, I would grease them at least every 3rd or 4th ride to purge the muck out of there.

UglyMotha™
10-14-2004, 06:36 AM
you can tell when it's packed with grease, she feels a little harder to turn so you now when she's dry when you turn the rear wheels and you just don't feel the resistance of the grease, that's when i add, which is right around once a month, and that's with riding every weekend

Steve-o 400EX
10-15-2004, 06:24 AM
thanks a lot guys, i ride every weekend in hazlton or tower city PA, which is mainly woods trails and coal slag. I guess i'll do it once every month or 2.