PDA

View Full Version : How to steer when doing a wheelie

mc1984
10-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I was watching the cvboyz video's yesterday and i noticed that they were able to turn at least a little bit while riding wheelies. It seems liek i am almost always veering off to the side and have to bring it down. I have played around with my tire pressure but that doesnt seem to correct it. Like I said it looks like they are leaning and are able to steer, at least a little bit and that is all I need. Thanks in advance!!!

Nausty
10-13-2004, 09:27 PM
first tire pressure does have a lot to do w/ the actually tracking. So if its going the left take out a lil air on the right tell it goes straight and vice versa.

You can steer doing wheelies to where you can go around some pretty sharp curves and to just stay on the trail just gotta hang off the quad as far as possible to whichever side you wanna turn.

This is comin from somone who knows what they are talking about, take it or leave it.

jesshamner
10-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Nausty is right. Lean in the direction that you want to turn. Also remember that adjusting your air pressure with a gauge might not work perfectly b/c the chain is not centered. If you put 4lbs in each tire, it will still pull to the chain side.

JLanphear
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Yup, get your tire pressure adjusted the best you can for starters....I can't run the same PSI in each tire, I have to play around with it to get it to work right.

Also note that (at least up here) most roads have a "crown" in them I guess you'd call it. Meaning the center line of the road is up higher and the sides slope away slightly, sorta like this only less dramatic ^ . If you are on the right hand side of the road, you're quad probably would pull to the right....if you are on the left side of the road your quad will probably pull to the left. You have to keep things like this in mind when adjusting air pressure. Unless you have a perfectly flat surface it really makes it a pain to get it right.

There are other things that can affect it also. Typically the higher you have the quad in the wheelie, the more it is affected if the tire pressures are off because more weight is being put on the rear tires. Speed is also a factor. There is a happy medium....obviously the faster you are going, the quicker you will get pulled from side to side....however if you are going too slow it can also be hard to adjust also. I'd say 3rd gear is probably the easiest for me to turn with.

Basically to turn, all you have to do is lean.....if you think you are leaning some now, go out and lean FARTHER. It usually feels like you are leaning farther than you actually are. You also have to really pay attention to what the quad is doing, and lean AS SOON AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN to correct it. A lot of times you tend to over correct it, so once the quad starts heading the other way you have to lean again in the opposite direction to keep it going straight. Keep in mind that all of this is very subtle, and after you lean, it takes a second for the quad to actually start moving that way....just stay there hanging off the side until it does.....then straighten out and correct.

Hope this helps.

-Josh

YFZ450Ridr
10-15-2004, 01:59 PM
if im on the grab bar i just stick my foot on the ground and steer that way but if im sittin down i work the throttle and hope for the best

quads_kicka$$
10-15-2004, 10:50 PM
just do a nose wheelie and turn the handle bars

StuntMentD4
10-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
if im on the grab bar i just stick my foot on the ground and steer that way but if im sittin down i work the throttle and hope for the best

ya but if ur stright up n down fly like 50 n 3-4th gear n u put ur foot bak that fare ur likely to stand it up easy and its dangerous for ur foot....like phear said leaning is the best way to steer n my opinion...n the 2 years i ahve been riding it has ben 80% stunting an the last 20% everything else so i have tryed alot and leaning works the best so fare

YFZ450Ridr
10-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by StuntMentD4
ya but if ur stright up n down fly like 50 n 3-4th gear n u put ur foot bak that fare ur likely to stand it up easy and its dangerous for ur foot....like phear said leaning is the best way to steer n my opinion...n the 2 years i ahve been riding it has ben 80% stunting an the last 20% everything else so i have tryed alot and leaning works the best so fare

i only put my foot off the back in 1st-2nd. i do 3rd n 4th sittin down.

CAMPRO
10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
You're not alone bro. I couldn't get my quad to turn for the life of me while in a wheelie.... untill recently. Last week I learned how to do corners which was a big step for me. Like most of these guys have advised.... it takes a strong "lean" in the direction you'd like to turn. More than anything else... it's just practice. The more you practice it... the better you'll get. Here's a link to my practice session pics from yesterday. You'll see a couple pics where I'm doing corners and my body is way off to the side of the quad. Good luck!

-Drew

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1146922
PS... if you're not already a member of stuntlife.com.... sign up and visit our forum!

WhiteBrosKB220
10-19-2004, 07:49 PM
technique, just keep tryin different things, i eventually was able to turn like that, ON MY BAYOU haha good luck

Blown 331
10-30-2004, 10:12 AM
We run 70mph or faster wheelies down the hiway for miles. Even turn around corners. Easiest way to steer is just turn the bars, the wind will push on the angled front tires, works awesome. You can also lean and hang a leg way out on one side, the extra wind resistance on one side will steer the bike.

Nausty
11-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
We run 70mph or faster wheelies down the hiway for miles. Even turn around corners. Easiest way to steer is just turn the bars, the wind will push on the angled front tires, works awesome. You can also lean and hang a leg way out on one side, the extra wind resistance on one side will steer the bike.

I use to do that!!! tell my cousin got killed in an atv accident on the road.... Havn't really ridden or went out on the highway since.

hondaman09
11-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I've seen this voodoo racing video,(motorcycles and soem atv's),this guy did a wheelie on a HondaR1 on the highway doing 180mph,he drove minimum 60 miles.they ride a wheelie on an extended 400ex witha women sitting on the handlebars.

K2Snow
01-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Have to disagree with a lot of you, easiet way for me to turn is to lean the opposite way I want to turn. Example, if I want to turn left, I shift weight to right so that right tire hooks up a bit more than the left and turns the quad.

Chef
01-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
Have to disagree with a lot of you, easiet way for me to turn is to lean the opposite way I want to turn. Example, if I want to turn left, I shift weight to right so that right tire hooks up a bit more than the left and turns the quad.

This is the way to do it in the sand, or where the tires are spinning, but they are talking on asphalt.

The easiest way to steer in a wheely...just go back super far, put your head on the ground, and use it like a rudder!! :cool: Thats how the pros do it.

K2Snow
01-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Chef
This is the way to do it in the sand, or where the tires are spinning, but they are talking on asphalt.

The easiest way to steer in a wheely...just go back super far, put your head on the ground, and use it like a rudder!! :cool: Thats how the pros do it.

Being a sand rider only, this makes sense. I figured the concept would work equally as well on a hard surface as far as weight distribution goes... same idea as changes in tire pressure.

Chef
01-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Nope, the tires aren't spinning on asphalt, so they dont need anymore traction. :p

K2Snow
01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Nope, the tires aren't spinning on asphalt, so they dont need anymore traction. :p

Right, but two tires with different air pressures are going to react differently regardless of traction.