PDA

View Full Version : K&N filter bad?? WHitebros or Uni filter Good???(urgent)

Rootar
10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
ok i have heard that K&N Filters let in some sand after a while and that the new whitebros and uni filters let the same amount of air in but catch the dust that the K&N doesnt (i was told this by a credible mechanic/ racer) i know alot of people are using them now so is this all it is be cause i bout th order a new bumper from prm and they have filters for pretty cheap and i have the extra bit so i was wondering if i should get one becasue my K&N does have some nics in the screen stuff and it looks a little old to me???????

Tom TRX250R
10-13-2004, 08:32 PM
I have always used K&N filters on my R at the track and dunes and have never had a problem. As long as you keep it oiled and make sure you use an outerware, which slips over the filter and helps filter even the tinest particles from reaching your motor.

LazeR
10-13-2004, 08:35 PM
I have a K&N and i run in it in the sand and in the woods (dirt) and i've never found any dirt or anything in my carb boot, it always seems to filter good, but i clean it and make sure its completely oiled

fmf400ex03
10-13-2004, 08:56 PM
yeah it will if domp dirt in your box :D just keep the lid on or customize the lid

Rico
10-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
ok i have heard that K&N Filters let in some sand after a while

You heard wrong...:macho

sickmojave
10-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Rico
You heard wrong...:macho

I don't think so. I just think he has heard from people who don't properly maintain the K&N. ;)

dirtmomma
10-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
I have a K&N and i run in it in the sand and in the woods (dirt) and i've never found any dirt or anything in my carb boot, it always seems to filter good, but i clean it and make sure its completely oiled

DITTO!!:D

Rico
10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
I don't think so. I just think he has heard from people who don't properly maintain the K&N. ;)

You sir are correct.....:o

heavyd119
10-14-2004, 07:15 PM
I've always have heard that K&N get better air flow but foam airfilters like uni clean better. I have a K&N airfilter with an outwear and it works perfect. Just maintain the K&N.

300ex13
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
i have a Whitebros and it does fine...and quite a bit cheaper. if your k&n looks old id get a new one neways...

wilkin250r
10-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Because the filter oil is an aeresol, I think many people oil their K&N like they would apply spray paint. Hold it for 4-6 inches away, and give a thin-even coat.

While this method will actually work decent for a foam filter, it certainly won't work for a K&N filter. With a K&N, you need to get oil deep into every pleat by holding the can one inch away and spraying directly into each pleat. If you try the standard spray-paint approach with a K&N filter, you'll leave the deep inside of the pleats dry.

Because of the differences, I think many people under-oil their K&N filters, and this is the reason that people have problems. Most of the air passing through a K&N will split at the edge of the pleats, and actually come through the deep inside parts of the pleats. If you did not properly oil your K&N filter, this is the part of the filter that has the least oil, and thus the least filtering capability.

fmf400ex03
10-15-2004, 05:27 PM
i like k&n never had dirt in my carb i keep it treated and it has a lifetime warrenty so i can get another when this 1 goes bad for free

JR3
10-15-2004, 06:54 PM
i have a k and n i run with a outwear and a white bros air box lid with the lil tiny filkters in the lid its a goood setup in fact i cleaned the filter today not 1 spec or any trace of dirt in the air boot its all about matinance(sp)

speedy400
10-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I dissagree... all of my friends, I and a credable builder agrees with me. K&N lets in more air compards to UNI, but it also lets in more dirt and dust, I used to have k&n, I swear I oiled it too much, it still let in junk after about 2 hours of use, thats with a prefilter. My friend with also had this exact problem, take off the K&N after a little ride and you could wipe out the layer of dust inside the intake boot... we got uni's havnt had a problem since. I feel K&N's are the true racer's filter, let in more air but usually tracks are wet, and less dusty so its all good, but for the average trail rider.... K&N's should be left on the road, in the cars.-darren

zoe17
10-16-2004, 08:20 AM
I ride mostly woods and trails like Turkey bay, Lorettas, trails in West Tennessee. I run a properly oiled K&N with pre filter with NO lid. I have never had a problem. I clean it after every ride and oil it.

I DO ride in very dusty conditions. Filters are always heavily debated which is better. Make your own choice and properly clean it and oil and you will be happy with any of them verus the stock filter.

nemesis
10-16-2004, 12:42 PM
K&N let's more air in and will let more dirt particles compared to a foam filter.

Solution: Buy a K$N(which flows better), use the outerwear(which comes with the filter) and you will be fine.

Why do you think most kits give you a K&N filter and an outerwear. They know it let's more dirt in than a foam filter so they give you something to stop that while still having the same flow characteristics of the better filter.

NacsMXer
10-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Word of advice to anybody using a K&N filter: Ive found there is a fine line between underoiling the filter and overoiling it. Im sure many have done this. One time I overoiled the filter to the point where there was a little bit of the oil in the airboot causing the quad to be starved for air and ran like crap. The next time I tried to avoid this and ended up underoiling the filter allowing it to pass fine dust. Test for this by simply wiping your airboot with a paper towel and youll know for sure if you underoiled it. So I think if you own a K&N, make sure you get the cleaning and oiling routine down right or it will NOT perform as well as a Uni type filter.