PDA

View Full Version : kfx400... how do i change the main jet waht do i need to take off to get to it?

Silver400EXinBR
10-13-2004, 07:13 PM
just like up tthere... what do i need to take off to get to it and change it.. pictures would be nice too thanks

fast01blaster
10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
I don't have any pictures, perhaps someone else can supply them.

This is how I do it:

First drain the fuel bowl by placing a cup or bowl under the clear fuel drain hose coming from the bottom back side of the carb and loosening the screw on the left side, bottom of the carb. If fuel does not drain from the carb, you got the wrong screw, tighten it and try a different one. Remove the carb by loosening the intake and airbox boot hose clamps. You will need to remove the fuel line and and carefully twist the carb to expose the bottom of it. Remove the four corner screws holding on the fuel bowl, unscrew the main jet (brass, hex shaped thing centered under the fuel bowl) and replace it.

Warning, you have to work the carb around a bit to expose the bottom screws, it is easier the second time around.

fast01blaster
10-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Or... this is the long way

Z400 Carb Jetting (http://z400central.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=26938)

max22679
10-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Make sure to use a good srew driver on the bottom screws. For some reason there overly tight and you might strip the head out, thats when the fun realy starts.

nemesis
10-16-2004, 12:34 PM
when you get all the screws out, go to ace hardware and by hex head or allen bolts instead of the crap that is on there.

Most people will strip those screws if they don't have the impact driver(I think that is the name).

Dr. Quad
10-16-2004, 07:27 PM
i read the other replies here is the way to do it start by looking on the right side of the quad by the carb. there is a black box with 3 hoses going to it it has 1 bolt (8mm head) holding it to the frame unbolt it and move it out lf the way or you might break the throttle cable on the carb. now loosen the 2 clamps on each side of the carb. rotate the carb to the left and you can see the bowl screws if you strip the heads just drill the head off when you remove the bowl the threaded part that is left will come right out they stick to the bowl for some reason i put a little antisiez on them when i put them back in the main jet is the one with the brass ring around it it is a slotted jet that you remove with a screw driver just take it out and put your new one in if you need more room remove the tank and the carb will be easier to get to good luck

buster369
10-19-2004, 05:41 PM
get a manual for it