PDA

View Full Version : trx450r problem(please help)

Stealth450r
10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
once in awhile(mostly when i hit bumps) my 450 will shut off, then kick back on an will be fine until the next bump.its like turning the key off then turning it back on. its bin 3 months now and i havent gone riding cause off it. i have a race in a couple of weeks and need it to be fixed.

any suggestions

10-13-2004, 05:28 PM
I heard some people are having problems with plastic pieces in their carb from their gas tank with the problems your describing....take the carb apart & gas tank & look at the litle screen I think inside the gas tank and stuff....good luck

10-13-2004, 06:31 PM
If you have had powder coating done check to see if your ground is good.

Stealth450r
10-13-2004, 06:58 PM
i already checked the ground, but never looked at my carb or gas tank. i will try this. anyone else have any input

Martin Blair
10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I noticed mine cutting out, took the carb apart to clean it, found some little plastic as discribed, no problems now

Southtown00
10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Whats keeping the plastic pieces from going through the motor?

10-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Southtown00
Whats keeping the plastic pieces from going through the motor?

There to big to go through the main jet.

Motoman440
10-14-2004, 04:55 AM
Had the same problem. In the gas then it just quits. Took apart the carb and found some pieces of hard dirt in the carb that would not fit through the main jet. Cleaned er up and it runs fine now. Check your carb. Sounds like once all the fuel is out of the bowl from being in the gas your getting something blocking the main jet until more fuel builds up in the bowl.

Stealth450r
10-14-2004, 04:13 PM
i just got done with cleaning the carb and didnt find any plastic pieces. i also took it for ride and it still doas it. i called the dealer and they said it is electrical. daes anyone have any ideas.

thanks for the suggestions

kazpr
10-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
If you have had powder coating done check to see if your ground is good.
Seems like a good place to start.

bobbo97f150
10-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Try un-hooking your Pro Design kill switch and see if it still does it. I don't see how any connections could corrode to the point of breaking on such a new quad. Maybe a bad connection with the wiring of the switch or actually in the switch. If that fails, make sure all plugs are plugged in all the way under the hood and/or un-hook them and put di-electric grease in them. Also look at the wiring diagram in your owners manual and check all ground wires going to the frame. Don't forget that your coil is also grounded to the frame. Man, my posts always seem to ramble on. Hopefully not too boring.

cinigen9
10-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Stealth450r
i just got done with cleaning the carb and didnt find any plastic pieces. i also took it for ride and it still doas it. i called the dealer and they said it is electrical. daes anyone have any ideas.

thanks for the suggestions

be sure you take out the main jet and make sure it is clear. Mine had a small piece of plastic lodged in the main jet from the factory.

Carson

Stealth450r
10-14-2004, 04:50 PM
i already all the wires by un pluging them and spraying contact cleaning in them.this did this way before my pro design kill switch so that cant be the problem.the only thing i forgot is the coil.

WERE IS THE COIL LOCATED SO I CAN CHECK.

once again thanks for your input.

bobbo97f150
10-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Your coil is on the left side(sitting on the quad) frame rail. It is the black thing your spark plug comes out of. There also is a ground wire there from your wiring harness. Let us know what you find out, I'm curious now.