PDA

View Full Version : TRX450 questions from Yamaha guy

DirtDevilBT
10-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Ok, I would like to introduce myself for I am new to the Exriders. My name is Brent but you all can call me DirtDevilBT. I come from Bluetraxx with questions. I am a Yamaha man by history. I have 2 warriors, one is stock lol. My family has warriors and raptors and dirt bikes and so on. I am ready to get a new quad cause the warrior is not able to expand with me anymore. I have been looking at the YFZ450 and the TRX450R. I want total honesty from everyone here when I ask this question: What problems have there been associated with the new Honda?
I can tell you honestly that the YFZ has water pump leaks, head gasket leaks, impeller shaft premature failure, decompression plug failures (04), battery charging problems, crappy seat, really stiff shocks, and so on and so forth. I still like the way it looks, handles, flies, and how I feel standing/sitting on one. It feels like a real awesome warrior almost. I don’t like how they say you are supposed to check the piston every 20 or so hours and that it may need to be replaced after some crazy number of hours like 50. WTF. I really like the quad but can’t wait for Yamaha to fix all the bugs when they come out with the full 450cc motor.
I like the Honda 450 very much as well. It looks good and has a more trail like ride. I trail and desert ride a lot and it sounds as thought the Honda my be more “right” for me. Nice suspension, even though it is an 1” less than the YFZ, but will I really get in to that other inch? I do ride at Glamis and Pismo so it will need to have the flight of a bird and the landing of a butterfly with sore feet. I like to fly through and over the dunes as well. I feel comfortable picking the Honda, after all that big red atc was still kicking until the California fires got to it.
Please, I need an honest answer out of as many people as possible. I was honest in telling you the “bugs” of the YFZ. I need to compare the 2 quads using info from the source, YOU. So, tell me everything about the TRX450 that you don’t like (light front end), any problems, and so on. I already know the good points of it but haven’t be able to hear the bad points yet, please help. Thanks

kazpr
10-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Nice first post you will get some nice answers here from some serious mature people :). As far as my 450r I to this date have not had one problem @all. Need to fix the rear end but for $250.00 Gt thunder will solve that!!

DirtDevilBT
10-13-2004, 04:23 PM
I had heard something about the rear swingarm and axle but I don't know anything more than there is a "problem". What constitutes as a problem? Can you discribe.

Thump_It
10-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Bad points.....well to be honest there aren't all that many. Some frames have cracked by the top motor mount due to extreme MX abuse. The light front end is awesome in the dunes because of all the ruts and so on (it glides right over them), but I have no problem keeping it down when dragging and hill climbing. I can air my R out about 15ft high with a decent landing and no bottoming out (in the dunes). The motors are very choked up stock, but a pipe and filter takes care of that problem. I think the ergos of the Honda are awesome. I like the Yamaha, but for riding out in the sand it wasn't comfortable, although the '05's come with a better seat. Both bikes are very good, but it sounds like for the type of riding you do, the Honda would be your best bet. Okay, well there are my attempts at honesty, lol. Good luck with your selection.

kazpr
10-13-2004, 04:33 PM
No axle problem I have ever heard of just a bucking rearend.
I can not describe it to well someone else will be able to do it alot better than me :)

DirtDevilBT
10-13-2004, 04:38 PM
This is great, I would love to hear about the swingarm thing. I would really be happy if everyone could get their opinions in. I am on the computer prolly 10% of the day so don't just pass up repling because you don't think I will see it. Please do...

roughrider01
10-13-2004, 04:53 PM
The rear suspension is horrible from factory, i have no idea what they were thinking. No matter what you try to do with the stock shock/ linkage the backend will not stay put, it likes to buck you around. You can send your shock in to get re-valved and get a different linkage that i hear is a night and day difference. Personally, i dont like the front suspension either just seems like it doesnt have much adjustability. But usually stock suspension isnt all that great on any machine anyways.

Other than those two complaints, i love my quad. I havent had any other problems or complaints since the day i bought it.

oldsandman
10-13-2004, 05:05 PM
The biggest problem imo is the rear end in stock form it leaves a lot to desired. It tends to want to buck off of whoops it also makes the quad crab on firm choppy surfaces. Their are lots of solutions to this problem though but it will cost $. But I can say it was the best $ spent on this quad so far.

10-13-2004, 05:16 PM
only problem I have with my 450 is the rear end wanting to buck over whoops...gets kinda scary...whoever did the design for Honda on the 450r rear end desrves to be shot

turboTony
10-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Mine bucked me so hard sunday, it went all the way over... ouch. lol.

#1speedbump
10-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Some people have had problems with their cases cracking by the kickstart. This has been attributed to them giving it gas before trying to kick it over. NEVER GIVE IT GAS BEFORE KICKING. Again some people have complained about the frame cracking above the motor. I doubt this will ever be an issue for the average rider. There is also a gusset kit available.

Suspension on all quads are undesirable from the factory. An inexpensive upgrade is a set of Works shocks.

The biggest problem I had with mine was stripping the paint off of the subframe so I could polish it.

The way I look at it is you can buy a 450R for about a grand less than a YFZ. Take that extra money you saved and start modding the R.

Slip on exhaust= $225
Full exhaust=$425-500
Cam=$120-300
high comp piston=$180-190
Air box eliminator& filter=$65
aftermarket bars=$125
nerfs= I dont need no stinking nerf bars:macho
13t sprocket=$13

Watchin the guys on the YFZ drop their jaw as you BLOW EM away= PRICELESS

WhiteZee
10-13-2004, 06:07 PM
only thing i hated about my R is the rear end bucking. the swingarm is fine, its just the rear shock and linkage. gt thunder sells a new design linkage, and a revalve for the stock shock that costs $250. it was a night and day diff, and most definatly the best money spent.

Dale512
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
It sounds like you'll be best off with the Honda, this is coming from the owner of a YFZ. I've riden both and it sounds like the Honda is the one for you. I will have you know that I've had my YFZ since March and havent had any problems whatsoever, even left the key on for over a week and it still fired up no problem, my DS never did that and I consider the DS to be one of the best built/most reliable quads out there.

1#Speedbump, It could be true around your parts, but around here the lowest I've found a 450R is for $6000 OTD, I payed $6200 OTD for my YFZ.

400ex4ever
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Everyone has all ready said the big problem. The *** end of this thing bucks worse then a mechanical bull. I just got my shock revalve and a new lower linkage from GT Thunder. It fells really plush now but I haven't got any real riding time except for the street.

I almost forgot about the heat shield bolts. If you have the stock exhaust you will need to use some thread lock (red) on the bolts. The was the biggest problem when they rolled of the sale floor to the trail.

Southtown00
10-13-2004, 07:35 PM
How is the suspension not adjustable enough? Its 3 way adjustable when the yfz is only 2! It has rebound, compression, and preload on the front and rear.

Problems:
-Upper Motormount
-Rear bearings

-As far as the rear suspension I hear its not all that bad. I think you just have to learn to compensate for it by using body english. I know honda is coming out with anHRC linkage soon. Im guessing their bad design may have been purposeful, or they are at least milking it.

Dale512
10-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Hmm, My YFZ has 3 way adjustable shocks front and rear, must be defective? j/k. Just so you know the YFZ also has Preload, Compression, and Rebound front and rear.

Dale512
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I must note though that each click on the 450R shocks make way more of a difference than 1 click on the YFZ shocks, so in that way they have a wider "range" of adjustment, but they both have the same type of adjustments.

markk
10-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by turboTony
Mine bucked me so hard sunday, it went all the way over... ouch. lol.

another exriders member went over the bars the say way on his trx450r, Over two little kickers, the Quad hit the bumper,to the grab bar, two times, and went on the side and fliped into another tree!!!, But (racer3000 got up and pulled the quad off the tree and fliped it back over, And it fired up on the 2nd kick, and Ran good the rest of the race.

the stock linkage is rough, But elka and Gt Thunder, and other company have got that problem solved pretty well!

p.s. Check your linkage, I had a buddies whos linkage wouldn't hardly move at all by hand!!! so who knows how it made the quad handle!!

Southtown00
10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
Hmm, My YFZ has 3 way adjustable shocks front and rear, must be defective? j/k. Just so you know the YFZ also has Preload, Compression, and Rebound front and rear.

Hmmm. I wonder where I got the impression that the yfz only had two. Who knows, I thought thats what I had read. Anyways, I stand corrected. :D

exrider44
10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Most def the rear linkage is a problem. I just sent my rear shock to gt thunder Im dying to see how well it does. The rear is prob my only complaint. Other than that Its a nice ride all around.

joe1l
10-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Some people have had problems with their cases cracking by the kickstart. This has been attributed to them giving it gas before trying to kick it over. NEVER GIVE IT GAS BEFORE KICKING. Again some people have complained about the frame cracking above the motor. I doubt this will ever be an issue for the average rider. There is also a gusset kit available

I keep hearing this, but have only heard of 1 case where this has happened, can somebody elaborate.

No real problems to date with it. I put the GT thunder set up back in April on the bike and its worked great. If you don't ride any where where its whooped, you won't really notice it. I also am not a big fan of the big 22's up front that came stock, they really hurt the turning radius IMO.

Wayne64SS
10-13-2004, 08:56 PM
i have had NO problems with mine. If you do alot of trail riding you will want to gear it down. Spend the extra $$ and get the HRC kit I took mine back recently to have it done and it erally woke it up, add to that the HMF full system i just put on (just put on slip on right now they forgot to order the rest) and the thing is an absolute animal. Its hard to hold on to. I have never noticed a problem with the rear linkage at all though but i dont ride whoops alot. I dont like the factory grips they ripped my hands apart and the black came off them constantly. ODI fixed that for me though ;) I've heard of cracked cases from giving it gas although i've done it to mine and so have so friends by mistake and it hasnt blown up yet?? Ive been reading alot more lately about cracked frames under the seat and above the motor mount, but mines not cracked yet. I think its mostly hardcore XC and MX racers having issue and in all cases i've read honda has covered it regardless of warranty. The bike is really tough and forgiving, i certainly am thrilled with my purchase, as i was going to buy a yfz first but changed my mind. Thestocktires suck too .... but thats me whining cause they're almost bald after 3 months ;) BTW I do mostly all trailriding with alot of rock quary jumping and screaming down the tracks in 5th gear for long periods of time... i think this is mostly at what you're lookin at doing and i think the bike will be perfect for you. Whichever you purchase enjoy it and be safe! Good luck with your purchase.

Just kind of noticing the YFZs seem to have alot of problems according to your post, i knew they had a few but DAMN! Glad i didnt buy one now even more. - Not hating just kind of just realized he had a BIG *** list!

DirtDevilBT
10-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Now I did have a list but problems like that are not on every one. I appreciate all the responses and hope to hear from the reat of you. I like the sound of the 450 and am wondering what I should ask for as a "bonus" when buying the quad? I like my PC T-4 on my warrior very much but would that be a good choice for the honda? I was wondering what the HRC package came with? I have a cousin whos a machinist and would most likely port the head and do a valve job. Should I both with the package if I'm just going change the jets anyway? What would be a good a-arms choice for the honda to extend the front a little, I'm just looking for a little extra width and weight up front. I have an extra set of Holeshots for the front of my warrior but would like to use them for the honda, they are 22's so it sounds as though I shouldn't.

I can get a honda450 here in CA for $6099 OTD, what is a must get if I am going to offer them 6500 to put on extras. Take into account that I will ask for skid plates already.

Any and everything else you feel like saying about the honda 450.

oldsandman
10-14-2004, 12:13 AM
If you're going to spend the extra$ up front I would go for the hrc kit. It's a cam, exhaust end cap, opened airbox lid, breather tee, jet and new needle.

the Z Man
10-14-2004, 12:17 AM
I have raced the whole season on my R, The only thing that went wrong with it was the carrier bearings. It was tough getting the axle lock nut loose, I had to heat it up RED HOT to get it loose.
I have raced a whole season XC in the Iowaatvharescrambleseries.com, and some MX with zero failure, I did have a friend that his frame cracked by the motor mount but there was a bad weld there and Honda replaced it for free.
As far as the suspension C And D Racing (the site sponcors) can upgrade all three shocks to triple rate zps fronts and dual rate zps rear for around 5 or 6 hundred bucks with shipping!!! you gain a whopping 2.5 inches of travel in the rear and alittle more than an inch in the front, I did this and really love it, as a matter of fact, my buddy has a YFZ and was reaaly happy with it until he rode mine with the suspension mods and is now selling his bike to build one like mine,,,,,, just my experience here, THe Z Man # 5

DirtDevilBT
10-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Woooo say that again. I can get triple rate zps fronts and dual rate zps rear for around 5 or 6 hundred bucks with shipping!!! OOO wait I just did myself. Are these Elkas and are they resivior type. Do I have to give them my stock shocks? And, is this only for honda riders or just EXrider members? Thanks

TheMachine
10-14-2004, 08:30 AM
I think the 450s are geared too tall, but theyre still awesome quads.

joe1l
10-14-2004, 09:39 AM
I think the 450s are geared too tall, but theyre still awesome quads.

As soon as you open the airbox up and put a pipe/cam combo, the tall gearing problem goes away.

the Z Man
10-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Woooo say that again. I can get triple rate zps fronts and dual rate zps rear for around 5 or 6 hundred bucks with shipping!!! OOO wait I just did myself. Are these Elkas and are they resivior type. Do I have to give them my stock shocks? And, is this only for honda riders or just EXrider members? Thanks

Yeup, just call C and D Racing and talk to Colby, he'll set you up with what you need, tell him the Z Man sent ya,,,, # 5

DirtDevilBT
10-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Cool, if I can get a good deal on the one set I'll buy 2 more for some family memebers. O by the way, is there any difference between the 04 and 05 TRX450?

red2004 TRX450R
10-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Are u saying u can get a full set of Elkas for like $500-$600.
Or do u get you stokers rebuilt and re sprigged

ThumPIN_450R
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
i've cracked my frame and i have bent my axle steering stem and lower a- arms the stock bars are week and suck as$ i do know yammy riders with more frame cracks and bent parts than me and one guy i know of his yammy started leaking oil for some reason without ever being ridden which none of us can figure out so all in all i think they are both kind of equal buy the one you can get the best price or what you think looks coolest or even wait for the new bombardier kawi or suzki and if they never show up you can get an awesome deal on a used or dealer hold over 450 by then and dirt devil the only change for 05 on the honda is color

DirtDevilBT
10-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Grassyass. Next: does anyone know if I can put my yamaha rear hubs on the rear of the TRX? Will the axle splines let me do this? It is just that I have yamaha bolt pattern extra wheels coming out my ***** and my whole family runs yamaha with extra tires of their own. Second: are the front hubs interchangable? What bolt pattern are they? Thanks

kssandduner
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
I know honda is coming out with anHRC linkage soon
Is this true? Has anyone else heard this?

Joe

jb500ex
10-14-2004, 06:23 PM
i know they make farrs swingarm and linkage so it is possible

LT250Racer609
10-14-2004, 08:03 PM
everyone is saying how they have had problems about the rear end bucking....i have never had a problem with my rear end and im a Amateur MX racer....yes it took me a while to get the shocks set up to the right rebound, compression ect. but after that its great..i think anyways....

kamikaze_rzrbak
10-14-2004, 08:50 PM
i rode the yfz on the trails and i really didn't like the suspension and it felt to small, I rode the R out at Sand Lake and it had a stronger bottom to mid pull than the yfz did, the suspension was perfect for the dunes too, it simply glided through the whoops and i could turn it around really easy when i was going up a hill. But if you do night riding a lot there is something you have to worry about, when the trx dies you have no lights, so your invisible to other people.

kamikaze_rzrbak
10-14-2004, 08:51 PM
o and both were complety stock, the Trx did not have Hrc kit on it

Bad Habit
10-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
Are u saying u can get a full set of Elkas for like $500-$600.
Or do u get you stokers rebuilt and re sprigged

This is to get your stock shocks re-sprung (triple front, dual rear)using Elka SSD springs. They are not re-valved. Colby has to do some machine work on the stock shocks to do this, that is why you need to send yours in to him.

team_450_88
10-14-2004, 09:40 PM
I got a 450r and I love it...Jus to let u kno, I race motocross and I race everyweekend and if im not racing im practicing..I also hit tha big jumps ( 85ft ).....ok now for the problems...

Me myself havent had a problem with the stock rear shock and every track I race has whoops but not to mention i havent rode an r with aftermarket linkage or shock..but I got my shock adjusted pretty well and am liking it but this winter ( after seasons over ) i will be sending it to gt thunder...I got elkas for the front but had nothing agaisnt the stock ones...ONE THING i really love and cant believe is i am still using the stock 450r swingarm, this thing has held up all season, i cant believe it and im not jus putting around the motorcross track i got pics of me puttin it over some big jumps if u wanna see and i check the swinger after every race to make sure its not cracked...my ONLY complaint is the engine sucks..man it feels slow to me for some reason..i gotta stay right at the limiter at all times to even get ANY power..but it really helps with ehaust and engine mods..I am getting mine ported/polished and 13:1 piston and cam this winter...no problems with the frame yet, subframe is bent from a wreck but it was a pretty good wreck 2.....hope u like wutever u decide to get !!

Southtown00
10-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Well do you have exhuast and intake yet? I would assume so. I think a top end cam and CDI box would help you out. The cam stock is more all purpose. Get a top end one and the CDI will let you rev out more. Make the motor more comfortable operating where you need it too.

Sm0k3d
10-15-2004, 07:37 PM
No one has mentioned this before.. So I guess I wil!!!

A lot of people are having problems with the bolts that go from their shrouds into the gas tank. The bolt and the zert fitting get stuck (rusted??) together after moister gets in there and will Strip out your shroud mounts!! I was told that once you get it, Pull them out and put anti-seize on them, put them back in and your good to go!!

Good Luck!

96lapis coupe
10-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
Dude, you need a longer sig. lol.

Matt400ex_17
10-15-2004, 11:45 PM
I have had just about every honda sport atv as you can tell by the profile and have never had a problem i know a guy at work that has a yfz and he rides with me 2-3 times a month. He has had problems with his decompression lever and where it mounts to the motor it came out. the yam's have a real bad heat problem till you put a exhaust and filter in them. I myslef would never buy anything but honda and im loyal to my brand. Both are awesome fast quads and i would go with your gut. if your on a tight budget i would go honda and with a hrc kit that most dealers will throw in with the purchase at least mine did for me and 2 of my buddies you will beat any stock yfz. Dont listen to the magazines they need to pull there heads out of Yam's rear and get what you want.

REDARMYRACER
10-17-2004, 05:30 PM
the yfz and 450r are both really well made machines. Of the crew I ride with i'm the only 450r owner. I like my machine I think it's more comfortable than a yfz. The yfz is probably a more race oriented machine. What that means to me is more emphasis on weight, power, and rideability in the "attack" mode/position. but that also may mean more prone to failure..... Both machines have atleast a couple of issues cause they are race machines that get the sheit beat out of them.

My bike gets it good too though. If you race or ride hard you're more likely to go with aftermarket parts anyway ragardless of which bike you own.

Honda has always been very receptive when it does come down to warranty issues and machine problems anyway. Yamaha has, from what I've seen with my two freinds bikes, also been good about covering there warranties to.

however I can say this, my friends 04 yfz has ceased the lower rod bearing once, then the upper rod bearing, blown out the ddecomp plug once, water pump leaked too. he never took the machine in and did the work himself. My other buddy had trouble with his shift moon (it acts like the shift star on a banshee) but yama did cover it. The first freind also had a craptor and that blew up two or three times too and yamaha stood by there product and got that machine running agian for free, every time.

My 450r seems to run very well and I haven't had any issues to date yet, BUT I WILL ADMIT that I DON"T TRUST my 450r as much as my 400ex, she does seem to have some "quirks" about her that I am mindful of.... Only time will tell how well made my bike really is....

The bottom line is this, buy what you like the best. you should make a list of priority's YOU want in a quad and purchase the one machine that fills them the most. OR do a pro and con of each machine and buy the one with more pros and less cons!!! YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH EITHER BIKE!!!!!!

but I think you may find yourself buying a HONDA TRX450R.....

(yes i'm bias but trying to hide it. hahahhahhahahaa)

DirtDevilBT
10-17-2004, 06:39 PM
lol
I am going out to the dealership on Monday. They carry both quads with the best prices and there I will make my decision. I am leaning towards the honda because of the way the power curve is set up, softer shocks, and a few other things. I am not thrilled with the design of the bike but a good graphics kit will help.
I like the yamaha's looks, ooo man do I, but there would be a lot of things I would have to change to get it to suit me.

If I get the Honda and say I have 700 bucks to burn, what should I get first. I will NOT get the HRC kit, soulds like a waste of money to me. Thanks BC

the Z Man
10-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Get a pipe, handle bars and nerfs!!!!!!!!!

DirtDevilBT
10-17-2004, 07:07 PM
What is wrong with the handlebars? I don't mean anything by this just want to know. I plan on getting some AC Pro peg nerfs for sure and exhaust. What exhaust should I get. I want good bottom end grunt without killing the top end. It has to be a good drag/ woods racing pipe. Also, I was going to get some a-arms but should I get them wider or wider and up forward 1". I am looking at Albas procomp a-arms with lifetime warrenty. $449

spincr4hire
10-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
I will NOT get the HRC kit, soulds like a waste of money to me. Thanks BC

why?

I think the HRC kit is the sh8t

DirtDevilBT
10-17-2004, 08:59 PM
I plan on taking the airbox top off, doing some head work, and getting an exhaust. Half the kit is now useless with that other stuff. The jets, airbox top, and something else I forget. The only thing I could use afterwards is the cam and it is made for upper RPM and that's not what I want, lol. So there:D

the Z Man
10-18-2004, 01:18 AM
I prefer the Answer Protaper fat bars, it gets the grille buster out of the way and you get a nice big bar pad for those hard hits, they also cut down on vibration, thus, arm pump.
I have the White Brothers E series pipe, it has a good sound and nice pull after I took out the end cap, ( I keep it with if I ever want to go a little stealth) but the pipe itself sticks out a little further than I like, it has never been a problem but when I stand it on end the pipe just touches the ground.
The 13 tooth sprocket will give a nice hit off the bottom, you will also notice it more agile in the timber, with the 14 tooth I would kill it everytime I jumped bigger logs, an easy pull lever will help because you will use it alot more than say a 400ex.
Let us know how things turn out and Welcome Back !!!!!!
The Z Man # 5

Gumby
10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
edit

Flyin-Low
10-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Gumby
Rossier or DASA are one of the best pipes made for the TRX. 10 hp gain with the Rossier pipe, filter mods, cam, and needle. Joe is a top notch guy to work with also.

Check out trx450r . org for some go fast tips on how to open the machine up without spending any cash. There are certain things you can do to wake up the 06-07's that Honda didn't.

Hope I helped.

No, you didn't help at all because I'm pretty sure you're something in the area of three years late...

Why do people refuse to read through threads before posting?

-Martin

Gumby
10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Martin,

My mistake. I was doing a search for something and came across this topic. I got wrapped up in it BY READING THROUGH IT, and completely forgot that it was an old topic. I am sorry for my ignorance but your immediate judging and sarcasm of my comment was unnecessary.

I have since removed my response.