PDA

View Full Version : cam bearing ??

mysticfalcon
04-13-2002, 01:22 AM
I Just took apart my baby to install my 416 and xr cam. When i took out the cam i noticed that one of the bearings has a little seal like thing on one side. What is this for and where does the seal have to go when i put it back together? which side of the cam and facing which direction. I know i should have checked when i took it apart but i didnt notice till after also this bearing dosent spin quite as efortlessly as the other side. Is it because of the seal or should it be replaced. The bike is only 4.5 months old so i dont think it would be shot yet but if it is im glad i caught it.

04-13-2002, 01:40 AM
Hey you better pay attention to how those things come apart
:) :rolleyes:

But seriously the open side with the balls visable goes on first or closest to the cam as the oiling system uses the seal on the end to cause the oil to pool or puddle.

A bearing with a (contact type) seal will allways have some additional drag, and this is normal. If the bearing rolls smoothly without any rough spots then it is most likely in good shape.

******make sure you wipe it down with a clean cloth and some lube where you touch it with your hands as the oils in your skin have acids that will cause the bearing rust.******

MIKE400EX
04-13-2002, 06:46 AM
And it goes on the cam sprocket end of the cam.

CranMan
04-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Yeah..what they said:D...I just did the 416 and xr400 cam. The only jetting changes I've made so far is I put in a 165 main. I still have'nt gont through the first tank of gas, so I don't know if any other jetting changes will be needed. Any suggestons would probably help us both!!

RED121572
04-13-2002, 11:49 AM
The green sealed bearing goes on the flange side of the cam. The greeen seal points to the OUTSIDE.

Good luck with your motor hoss. I just got mine back together this morning. I removed the XR cam and stuffed a WB all around cam. Im very happy with the results.

:D

RED121572
04-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Also, how does your trail tech computer work for you. I have one also. Im happy with it except for the speedo part of it. Its slow and it'll jump around when Im riding in mud. Let me know how it is working for you.

RED121572
04-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Cran man!!

I just had the same mods that you did, except your piston is one mm bigger than mine. My jetting was one notch down on the needle and a 162 or 163 main. Stock setting on the pilot. I ran really well, with no popping on deaccleration or hesitation on top end.

mysticfalcon
04-13-2002, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys id be screwed without this place. If we could put the knowledge of all the members of this place into one person we would have one **** of a smart ***** :D

RED121572
04-13-2002, 12:25 PM
I agree man, this is a great place for information!! Much luck to your rebuilt.

CranMan
04-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Thanks Red, I've got to re-learn this whole jetting thing. I had the EX jetted perfectly before I put in the 416 and XR cam. But thank God for this site and my exriders bro's!!!