PDA

View Full Version : Do i feel stupid

initall
10-13-2004, 07:57 AM
I just fixed my 400ex this weekend went out riding on a new rebuild to break it in. Well I rode Sat and Sun for abput 3-4 hours each day. Yesterday I go to fire her up to jump a dirt hill by my house and she wouldn't start. I after messing with it for a while she would fire and then die right away. So i keep messing with it until the battery is dead. So I check the gas tank last like an idiot and it was empty. Just thought I'd share.

What stupid things have you guys done?

44oEX
10-13-2004, 08:02 AM
I have to edmit I got the no gas problem a couple of times.
An other good one is when you tighten the valves and don't put the sparkplug cap back on. happens everytime:p

bansheeguy77
10-13-2004, 08:32 AM
i hit the kill switch on the left side of the bars a few times and thought it blew up.

LazeR
10-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
i hit the kill switch on the left side of the bars a few times and thought it blew up.

I've done that. I even pushed my quad back to the house (only about 250 feet) and was looking at it, put it away and went back to school worrying, came home and saw the kill switch, flipped it and it started right up. Didn't i feel intelligent :rolleyes:

Quad18star
10-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Been in that situation before ..... or you forget to turn the gas on . Go ride about a mile down the trail and it dies . Kick and curse the quad .... then the little light bulb in your heads goes on " Turn the gas on idiot" . Makes you feel dumb . I've also been in the situation where the tether cord isn't hooked up . Try kick starting a quad for 20 minutes , then realize you didn't hook the clip up . I did that on my Suzuki and on my YFZ. :grr:

dirtmomma
10-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Haha YEP think I've done them all :o last trip to the dunes I unloaded it & went out to ride & it was poppin & cacklin to beat all so I come back to the camp & am getting ready to mess w/ the jetting when the hubby says hold on & takes the air filter sock pulls it 1/2 say down & goes out w/ it, well that was that problem :o
My son is know for forgetting to turn the gas on/off on the blaster he goes out to practice & gets stuck out there :rolleyes: also like to forget to put his kill cord on & it's USUALLY ME that sits & kicks till I can't kick anymore!! Or when your riding in the woods & a brach pulls the kill cord out & you don't know WTF is going on LOL

Quad18star
10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Or when your riding in the woods & a brach pulls the kill cord out & you don't know WTF is going on LOL

Been in that situation a few times . Get all mad , cehck the gas tank to make sure theres gas , check the plug cap to make sure it's still on , take the plug out and change it and find out it still wont start ..... then you see the tether cord dangling and you feel like an idiot .

I was so dumb when I had my LT250r . I had put a brand new plug in it , and it ran fine for a few days .... then all of a sudden it died and wouldn't start . So after putting testers to it and everything else , we came to the conclusion that the coil was fried ( was the last possible thing) . Ordered up a new coil .... took 2 weeks to get it and cost me well over $100 US to get it shipped up to me .... put it in and the thing still wouldn't start . My dad was kicking the bike over for a good 25 minutes to get it to start .... then I said " Why don't we just change the plug" ... His response was " No No we just changed the F***ing thing" . He got pissed and I said let me kick it over ... while he was sitting there wondering what the problem wa s, I grabbed a new plug and put it in . First kick the thing started .

Lesson was learned on that day ....... Always do the simple things first , or else it might end up costing you $100 US for a damn spark plug . :macho

I-7
10-13-2004, 01:20 PM
I had my quad started up ready to go and it died.. kicked it and kicked it for probably 20 minutes... looked down and the gas was off :rolleyes: . Thats probably my stupidest I guess...

And one time I forgot to turn my gas on the bike and went out on the track and of course my bike dies on the face of a 50 foot double.... :o Didnt feel to good smashing into the face of the jump with the bike off

wilkin250r
10-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't have an airbox, so when I take my quad to the carwash, I wrap a plastic bag around the filter so I can spray under the fender without being worried about the filter getting wet.

Yep, forgotten that little bag when I go to fire her up. More than once.

250xridamatt
10-13-2004, 03:04 PM
I once forgot to tighten my pipe up ( i have to put my stock on when i ride around my house, then i put on the other when i go to the track) and it fell off during an open practice at a track. They had to stop the practice so they could carry my hot pipe off the track. DOH

roostin_dale
10-13-2004, 03:18 PM
ive done alot of dumb things.

Once I cleaned my filter after saturdays race then the next morning i head out to my first moto. My dad came up the the starting line on my 50 carrying my filter:( I was stupid enough not to put it back in, boy was he pissed...

I have also forgot to turn the fuel on before a race a couple times. I hate it when i do that!

freakystone
10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
This one time, at band camp...

team_450_88
10-13-2004, 05:21 PM
LMAO let me tell u all my stupid stuff...ok ive done the forget to click the kill chord and ive hit the little switch that kills it and couldnt figure out wut was wrg had someone try to push start me and everything and then i noticed it was cut off and ive done the thing where u leave the gas turned off and somethin that HASNT been mentioned yet that ive done is this

Well I went and put some gas in tha quad and headed bak out to the bakyard ( where the track is ) started hittin the whoops and noticed my gas cap wasnt on and gas was all over me..oh man i felt so smart..haha

sammy5x
10-13-2004, 05:26 PM
when i was 15 in 1989 racing at southwick(yeah -been racing for a while) i go out for practice and my sparks racing 250x is running like chit. it kept dyin out and boggin down with no throttle response at all. i limp it back to the pits and start the process of jetting, electrical diag, everything-----nothing worked!!!. i had people test riding it, no-one could figure it out! i had john lukos, the late darren naccarato, ernie leclerc, tons of people helping me but none of us could figure out what it was. first moto is coming up so i put it back together as best i can and will run it as-is. as i get dressed my mother was just sitting quietly in the backround reading the oem honda service manual. as i head off to the line she asks me if the choke is on! the nerve of my mother to ask me----the all knowing racer if "i", had left my choke on!!! does she think im an idiot to forget such things!!! i get very mad and act like your typical snot faced teenagerand decide to appease her by checking all dramatic like. dam, dam, dam, dam, dam, dam------it was on the whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my first lesson on humility
thank you mom

Disaster
10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
LOL the first tiem i rode i killed it like 6 times before taking off lol...Now that made me feel real bright...

YFZ450Ridr
10-13-2004, 06:06 PM
stupidest thing ive ever done was unload and go off to some little hill climbs in the snow. half way up a decent sized hill and i look to the left for a second to see a small deer and i hit the kill switch on the left of the bars. have to roll back down the hill and look at the damn thing. i did notice the gas was off so i figured that was the thing. still wont start so i was gona walk back to my cabin and get my dad but im surrounded by hills in snow and ice. so i sat there and thoght and i jsut put my head on the bars and opened my eyes and saw my kill switch:p :p i do this so much its amazing.

bulkdriverlp
10-13-2004, 06:28 PM
ive donne the gas turned off thing and the stop button also friggin sucks

Krazy Kid
10-13-2004, 06:38 PM
ya ive done some dumb stuff....we left my bike at my buddies after a long nite of racing,,, i pulled the plug cap off so his brothers dumb friend wouldnt ride it, i came back the next day and spent about 45 minutes trying to start it..then all off a sudden it clicked...i put the cap on and it fired right up...

SGA
10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Sure, Ive done that stuff.

I disconnected that damm thumb switch, its caused grief during a hill climb more than once.

LazeR
10-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by team_450_88
Well I went and put some gas in tha quad and headed bak out to the bakyard ( where the track is ) started hittin the whoops and noticed my gas cap wasnt on and gas was all over me..oh man i felt so smart..haha

I actually did something really close to that, i was at the dunes and went to fill up, had this girl on the back with me, and i hit the sand and started wheelieing with her on the back and i felt something cold, looked down and my gas cap was off...I felt real smart

LazeR
10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
No one else has any stories of how intelligent they have been ? :rolleyes: