PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break In: What to Believe?

Southtown00
10-12-2004, 09:27 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

-or-

Engine break in

I was flipping through the net and stumbled upon a website with some interesting reads. One of which happened to be an artical on engine break in and I thought I would post it here for everyone to read. This is written by a guy name Howard Richards from R.E.D

The purpose of the "break-in" procedure is to GRADUALLY wear down the "high spots" on components such as rings, piston skirts, cylinder walls, bearings and races, etc. after a motor is fitted with new items. ALL machined parts are imperfect to a certain degree and therefore have "high" and "low" areas which must be mated to those that they roll or rub against to achieve a good running fit. Problems can arise however in the process because the mere act of "rubbing down" the high spots creates abnormally high friction. Friction creates heat. Heat creates expansion. Expansion reduces running clearances and increases friction. More friction, more heat, more expansion... Pretty soon you can see that you are rubbing off MORE than high spots on each part resulting in premature part wear (LOW spots). This is what happens when a motor is broken in too aggressively. You end up with a motor that, at the very least, has abnormally LARGE running clearances throughout. Thus you now have an unnecessarily shortened remaining life for your "new" motor accompanied by reduced performance. If the motor is really abused during early "new life" running, the tight initial clearances may get closed up completely due to heat and expansion and the rotating or reciprocating parts will SEIZE. So how to control this "running in and mating" of moving parts becomes the question...

First, before you even start the motor for the first time, do a "cranking pressure" compression test with a good quality, screw-into-the-spark-plug-hole type compression gage. Ignition off, fuel off, throttle held WIDE OPEN. Kick, pull-rope or cycle the electric starter until the gage reaches its' highest reading and stays there. Note the reading and record it. Don't expect a real high number because the rings and cylinder are not mated yet, but you should see at least 100 psi, sometimes much higher depending on the planned compression ratio, port timing (or camshaft profile if it's a four stroke), etc.. Generally speaking, with fuel, air, spark at approximately the correct time, 100 psi gage pressure and exhaust, the motor will run.

I prefer to break-in motors on a petroleum based oil and then switch to a synthetic afterwards (if it's to be done at all). There's lots of opinions on this...... for better or worse, that's mine. My feelings are that "too slippery" an oil will slow down the break-in process too much and I've even seen 600X cross hatched cylinders, chrome and Nikasil bores where the rings never seated and we attributed it to synthetic oils during break-in. If it's a two stroke, you can add a bit of extra pre-mix oil to the fuel, set the oil pump at a slightly higher than normal base setting, or both for the first tank of fuel, but I'd use a petroleum based oil.

OK. Start the motor and allow it to run at approximately 1500 rpm or so. Shut the choke off absolutely ASAP! The excess fuel that the choke supplies can wash the oil film off the cylinder walls and overheat the ring faces quickly, especially in a four stroke. ALWAYS shut the choke off ASAP on ANY motor for this same reason. NEVER let a motor run for long periods with the choke on to warm it up. NEVER ride, drive, fly or place under load any motor driven device with the choke on. It is a quick route to early death for the rings.

Check immediately for oil and compression leaks around the various gasket sealing locations. ANY LEAKS should be fixed immediately, especially head, base or exhaust gasket areas. If there are none, hold your hand against the cylinder and GENTLY vary the engine speed in neutral between approximately 1500 and 2500 rpm. DO NOT OVER REV! There is no "load" on the engine and over revving is very tough on crankshaft, bearings, etc.! When the engine is warm enough to be uncomfortable on your hand, shut it off. Again check for any leaks. Now let the motor cool down to COLD. THEN, carefully re-torque the head(s) at this time.

Now you're ready for your first ride/drive/flight/whatever. Start the motor and warm-up gently exactly as before. When the motor is uncomfortably warm on your hand, stab her in gear and gently accelerate through each gear using about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle as a shift point. DO NOT BOG or LUG the motor. DO NOT "cruise" at a steady rpm. Vary the engine speed up and down at all times. DO NOT OVER REV either! When you reach top gear immediately slow down and ride back to your origin doing the same thing. Limit your initial ride time to 5 to 10 minutes maximum, all the while touching the cylinder frequently with your hand to sense drastic overheating. ANY signs of excessive heating or abnormal engine noises require immediate SHUT DOWN and investigation/cure of the culprit. If in doubt, DO NOT ride/drive/fly back to the garage and then shut it off... TOW it back! When you're done with the initial ride, let it cool down to COLD again.

Continue this procedure gradually extending the running time to 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, etc.. You can also gradually get a bit more agressive with throttle application (slightly bigger "handfuls/footfuls" of throttle). Speed up, slow down, constantly varying throttle position and going up and down through the gears. Steady cruising at one engine speed or lugging the motor below its' powerband in a higher gear can cause overheating during break-in... AVOID BOTH! Don't worry so much about too high an rpm as VARYING the rpm. Bursts of throttle allow heating and mild expansion which in turn shaves off those high spots while deceleration allows slight cooling and contraction. Stay away from long hills, carrying a passenger or heavy loads during break-in.

After about an hour total riding/driving/flying time has accumulated, recheck cranking compression. As the rings seat, you will see the readings come up and you will also notice improvements in power delivery. Break-in is essentially complete when the readings peak and no longer get higher as more riding time accumulates. For a two stroke, this is typically one to three hours break-in time.

A four stroke has a superior oiling system and therefore breaks in more slowly. Two to five hundred miles is frequently required to completely break-in a four stroke. For a closely toleranced street four stroke it often takes 1000 to 1500 miles or even more! I dump the oil and filter in a four stroke after the first 75 miles, again at 200 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles and each 1500 miles thereafter on a street engine. Off road and competition four strokes get fresh oil and filter every one hundred to four hundred miles with me, depending on how hard their running life is after break-in. The initial oil and filter change is done into a clean, light colored, plastic shallow pan so I can see any metal particles that drain out with it. Straining the oil through a clean, white paint filter is excellent practice. You can then drag a magnet through the oil to collect the particles that are ferrous for closer inspection of potential problems. Minor break-in particulate or "ust" is normal. I also cut open the oil filter and lay it out on clean white paper towel to see what it has trapped and again look for any signs of trouble. Yes, it's a lot of fiddling and checking but I find it infinitly preferable to engine catastrophies (and a lot less expensive!).

Once it is broken-in, you can optimize ignition timing and jetting, preferably on a dyno. During break-in keep the fuel/air SLIGHTLY rich and the ignition timing essentially stock, NOT advanced.

Even after break-in is done, always warm up the engine thoroughly before riding/driving/flying per the above procedure to avoid cold engine excessive wear or even possible "cold seizure" on liquid cooled motors (most frequently occurs in marine or snowmobile applications).

Enjoy the fruits of your intense labors...... good luck!

Thump_It
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
I dunno about all that....I broke my motor in like I ride, fairly hard. Although I did not ever bounce it off the Rev Limiter. After my initial 10hrs, I had my valves adjusted by my mechanic. He said everything looks good and the rings seated correctly. As for oil I used a petroleum based oil as the article stated, now I'm using synthetic. Everyone has their method of "breaking in a motor." I would think that this article is a sure fire way to having a good break-in. You choose your method, lol...good luck.

RedRacer44
10-13-2004, 02:16 AM
I have read that article before and technically, all that is true. If you want to take that approach to break-in...well thats is your choice. I personally think it is too much....

I just started the beast and let it get warmed up then shut it off to cool. After it cooled down, I started it again, let it warm up, and then rode around in the lower gears with minimum throttle. Mostly 1/4 throttle, slighty reving the motor. Again, I killed it and let it cool.......then fired it up, let it warm up, and then gradually started riding it more aggressively. It is good to vary throttle position and not hold at constant RPM during the 1st hours of riding the quad. Take the quad somewhere you will have to do a lot of accelerating and de-accelerating, varying throttle position, etc etc. I did this the first 5 hours or so of having my quad.....then just let her rip after that!

I'm going into the motor for the 2nd time to put a high compression JE piston (wasnt satisified with 1st piston choice) and everything looked great! Cylinder, valves, cam, both pistons....everything looked nice!

spincr4hire
10-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Just broke mine in, rode just under 4 hours the first day (shutting it off and letting it cool periodically). Ran thru the gears but didn't hold it wide open for any given time. Changed the oil/filter/trans oil.

2nd day rode for roughly 4.5 hours, doing about the same thing, changed oil/filter/trans oil again. I'm thinking its probably close to broken in now.

Southtown00
10-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Well how reliable do you think the method talked about in that link is?

Wayne64SS
10-13-2004, 09:10 AM
thats how i broke mine in and it screams, no smoke no bull**** just pure honda performance ;)

10-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Here is my opinion on this

kazpr
10-13-2004, 06:46 PM
I am with racer. I babied mine for about the first hour then changed the fluids and gave her HECK!! Runs great now.

DirtDevilBT
10-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Smaller Intake Ports Gain 7 % More Power !!
Never Before Seen in Magazines
Learn How to Do it Yourself !!

This is also said. It all depends on where you want that power. It is just like the size of the valves. Getting bigger valves increases power on the way upper rpm range. But, it kills bottom end punch because the fuel delivery is no longer efficiant at low rpm.
P.S. I broke my motor in slowly, not quite like he said, but still carefully and always varring rpm. I used Yamalube 10w30, I think that's not synthetic. O well, came out *****in I think.lol

Jersey450R
10-17-2004, 07:49 AM
break it in like a p*ssy...its gonna ride like a p*ssy.

Sandgod4
10-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Let the engine warm up to normal operating temps. Break it in as how you normally would ride. That doesn't mean go out and slam the rev limiter in every gear, but definelty ride it hard for your typical day of riding. Change oil before next ride.. This is from an engineer that worked at Honda and BMW's R&D departments.. Don't buy a new quad that gets started each day and driven out front of the dealership. These motors are not warmed up and are stabbed in gear immediately everyday till they're sold.. Bad news!!! You want a new quad assembled from the crate and loaded into the back of your truck..

Blown 331
10-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R

If you break it in easy it will produce more power, gauranteed. I broke mine in extremely easy for 3 tanks of gas, my buddy did not. Mine always beats his in a drag race regardless for rider and his uses more oil. I told him that was going to happen.

Another example. 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra's (supercharged cars)

Easy break in will give you an extra 20 hp on the dyno compared to cars that were ran hard right away (inproper break in).

Heck if you're gonna run it hard right away that would be there is no such thing as breaking a motor in.

DirtDevilBT
10-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ok
Moron!

Sandgod4
10-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
If you break it in easy it will produce more power, gauranteed. I broke mine in extremely easy for 3 tanks of gas, my buddy did not. Mine always beats his in a drag race regardless for rider and his uses more oil. I told him that was going to happen.

Easy break in will give you an extra 20 hp on the dyno compared to cars that were ran hard right away (inproper break in).

Heck if you're gonna run it hard right away that would be there is no such thing as breaking a motor in.

Ever seen how bikes come off an assembly line?? They dyno them at full throttle through every gear before they go out the door. They make sure the torque and hp numbers fall w/in the manufacturers specs and a real live person listens to the engine for abnormal noises.... The Honda/BMW engineer said heat cycles and slow break in is balony for a four stroke.. This a from guy who designed the ATK 450 piston not just buys them and installs them..

sntheticdeluson
10-25-2004, 07:27 PM
ive run the dog sh*t out of mine since i bought it the day back in febuary i run it 14 hours with no break at all except for when i stalled it it still runs smooth its a honda man

10-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331

I want you to read this article and thgen tell my what you think.

650ex
11-03-2004, 03:21 PM
ok good question here...how in the frick is a motor supposed to warm up without the choke being on to keep it runnin...ill be darned if im gonna set there and hold the throttle open enough to keep it runnin or am i gonna mess with the idle...i use this time to put my gear on and stuff...when i get an idle set where i want it...i never screw with it again....and ive broken in some motors fairly harsh...and ive yet to see component failure to this day ( 00 blaster rebuilt in may of 03 still runnin like a raped ape )...so yea...some of it is true..and some of it is not..i think anyways...but yea...some good info tho.

fitethesystom
01-09-2006, 06:42 PM
ok good question here...how in the frick is a motor supposed to warm up without the choke being on to keep it runnin...ill be darned if im gonna set there and hold the throttle open enough to keep it runnin or am i gonna mess with the idle...i use this time to put my gear on and stuff...

ROTFL!!! sorry i found your choice of word's hilarious.

01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
i used the motoman method, worked great

XCRACER26
01-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I ride at the 8000 rpm then I let off the throttle and let wind its way down to just above stalling point. I do that for three tanks of gas, then its riding time after that. I had the stock motor run all season with out one problem, and it doesn't burn oil.

fitethesystom
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm going to do it Motoman's way to my rebuilt engine, and god I hope I dont f*ck something up.

yamablaster24
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
When i got mine i rode it like i would on the MX track. Got to the rev limiter once or twice. After about 3 hours of continued riding i changed the oil and now i ride her how this race bike was meant to be ran. WFO

01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
I'm going to do it Motoman's way to my rebuilt engine, and god I hope I dont f*ck something up.

the reason it works is because it lets the rings get used to all ranges of rpm, making it work better, also make sure you DO NOT use synthetic oil while breaking it in

what you need to do is for the first about 30-45 minutes, ride it around, dont go over say 6,000 rpm, and DO NOT let it bog down, keep it all over the rpm range, let it warm up, then let it cool ALL THE WAY down

after this start it back up, ride it around the same way, but to 7,500 rpm, let it idle down, then rev up, idle down, hold it at rpms, etc, just dont let it stay in the same spot for a long time, do this for the next 30 minutes to 45 minutes and let it cool down again

after that do the same thing again, but dont be afraid to give it full throttle this time, ride it around all rpm ranges for 1-2 hours, once again, no bogging

after your finished with that, change the oil, and ride it around how you please

305400ex
01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I used the motoman break-in. At first I was a little hesistant, but my bike is running like a champ.

Z-135
01-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I think Honda say 10 to 20min break in!

MAD450r
01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
My friend and I picked them up brand new together, He chose to take it easy on it through the first tank. I let mine get hot once then cool totally.

Then I rode it as I have had it for months. When my freind finished his take ti easy breakin. We raced and he cant come close to my 200x in woods or in a strait line. Since then I've beleived in 1 heat cycle then ride it like you will so it'll rev up like you want it too.

My friends 200x wont come close to the rpms mine got.

racerx4u2y2k
01-10-2006, 06:48 PM
You guys are crazy in a funny way all this warm up cool down crap is theory dont set there and try to convince yourself and everyone else that if you don't do breakin it will be junk. I have broke in alot bikes and it seems they do fine with ride it like you stole it attitude.

fitethesystom
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Has anyone had a BAD experience with the ride it like you stole it break in?

01-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by racerx4u2y2k
You guys are crazy in a funny way all this warm up cool down crap is theory dont set there and try to convince yourself and everyone else that if you don't do breakin it will be junk. I have broke in alot bikes and it seems they do fine with ride it like you stole it attitude.

:confused:

you need to put your bike through heat cycles to let the piston settle, when it heats up it forms into an egg like shape, and you need to let it cool down, and warm up, etc, so it can develop its shape, if you dont do this then it wont perform to the max, thats not a theory, the theory is motoman's break in, which is what most of us use

motoman uses the "ride it like you stole it" attitude, but you need to put your bike through heat cycles nomader what you do, no it will not be junk if you dont do this, but it wont be as good as someone else who has done it

motomans break in and heat cycles is the only way to go

remmyTRX
01-11-2006, 07:06 AM
I also ran it hard.

Just be sure to run through the gears then downshift and allow the motor to slow you down.

I used my brakes very little during the break-in.

01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by remmyTRX
I also ran it hard.

Just be sure to run through the gears then downshift and allow the motor to slow you down.

I used my brakes very little during the break-in.

yep, very true :macho