PDA

View Full Version : Motor weight

hondarider2006
10-12-2004, 05:06 PM
My motor will be getting shiped tomorrow or thursday and I was wondering how much a complete 400ex motor(tranny and all) would weigh. This is dry, no fluids what so ever.

LazeR
10-12-2004, 05:34 PM
71 lbs :p naa man im jk, only because i know has to be 70 or under

K_Fulk
10-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Think it s between 80 and 85.

By the time you get it packed up it may be closer to 100.

K_Fulk
10-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Pack it good too every motor ive sent out or recieved has been damaged one way or another. Who know what truck packers will drop them off of.

BSTURDIVANT
10-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Around 90lbs, more if good packing used.

hondarider2006
10-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Damn that sucks....usps will only ship up to 70lbs, looks like I will be sending it fed ex..

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-13-2004, 07:45 AM
We just recieved one and with packaging I believe it was 98 pounds it was well packaged and the box looked perfect when it arrived, now I have to figure out how he had it packaged so it gets back in one piece :confused: ;)

SixthFloorFreak
10-13-2004, 10:04 AM
i've shipped a few subwoofers in the past couple of years, many of them weighing in excess of 50 lbs. the frame on them is cast aluminum and breaks very easily, so packaging them right is of the utmost importance. this is how i do it, maybe anyone who needs to ship one could modify my plans

you'll need two boxes total
-one to put the object in that allows 2" of space between the object and the side walls of the box
-one bigger box that the smaller box will go into that will allow 2" of clearance on all sides of the smaller box

i put 2" of any kind of dense foam i can find in the bottom of the big box(i'm an IT guy for a school system, so the foam i use usually comes from computer boxes). put the object you wish to ship in the smaller box and cram wadded pieces of newspaper, cardboard, packing peanuts, etc...anything to cushion the ride, then tape that box up. place the smaller box in the big box, then cram newspaper etc. in around the smaller box and on top

also, make sure to tape the bottom of the boxes well and mark which side should be up in bold lettering. this technique has worked for me so far...adds a little more weight i guess, but the piece of mind you get knowing it can sustain quite a fall and survive is pretty nice.

stupid driver
10-13-2004, 12:42 PM
my motor came shipped in one of those big red plastic storage containers, with tons of the big bubble wrap and peanuts stuffed in with it. Then the lid was zip tied shut. It was shipped from the east coast to nebraska like this, and it didnt have any problems