PDA

View Full Version : boggish during hill climbs

demodetray
10-12-2004, 11:37 AM
99 400ex big bore kit stage 2 cam stage 2 jeting.
going up step hill climbs boggs down in 3rd gear. 3rd is really the only gear i can get it to bog in and ideas.

im tire of looking like a fool i would love some input

LazeR
10-12-2004, 12:52 PM
maybe you need to shift down to second. or keep it in the high rpms before you hit the hill. or it could be your jetting

Rico
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Sounds like your just a gear high to me. Slip the clutch more to keep the revs up..:cool:

A lightened flywheel also makes bogging on hills a think of the past if you keep the hammer down.

cals400ex
10-12-2004, 03:28 PM
is it missing and studdering or just bogging?

demodetray
10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
not only during hill climbs but i was on a track getten r done coming around a lond bend and iit would do the same thing. and i know its the th rev limiiter cause it more boggish like killing the motor and leaving me the only option is to lift and go again

LazeR
10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
what is your gearing ? If its your rev limiter your not bogging.

torqen2k1
10-12-2004, 10:14 PM
I have the same problem!:grr: I cant seem to find put what it is. I t only acurrs when im going up hill in 3rd gear. And no its not cause of the RPM to low it just like bogs and then goes a way after a bit of riding it. Its like I have to clear the carb out. Its also happens when im in 3rd gear for a long time in high RPM.

demodetray
10-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by torqen2k1
I have the same problem!:grr: I cant seem to find put what it is. I t only acurrs when im going up hill in 3rd gear. And no its not cause of the RPM to low it just like bogs and then goes a way after a bit of riding it. Its like I have to clear the carb out. Its also happens when im in 3rd gear for a long time in high RPM. same same same problem that i have i cant figure it out and it makes me mad and makes me look like a fool when there is a big croud of ppl hanging around

hey anyone want a 99 400ex with a 440 kit
its for sale after i make my trip to haspin acres this weekend

demodetray
10-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
what is your gearing ? If its your rev limiter your not bogging. stock gearing and stock size on the rear and i have a WB cdi box

demodetray
10-13-2004, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Sounds like your just a gear high to me. Slip the clutch more to keep the revs up..:cool:

A lightened flywheel also makes bogging on hills a think of the past if you keep the hammer down. i honeslty dont think that it gearing

LazeR
10-13-2004, 08:38 AM
then your jetting is off, or you need to shift up if you say its the rev limiter

Rico
10-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by demodetray
i honeslty dont think that it gearing

I"m not saying you have the wrong sprocket size, but your a gear high. Which means that you need to down shift when going up the hill. Try taking off in 3rd gear from a dead start. It boggs down I bet, which is caused from being a gear high.

When your in that turn hammerin down and it starts bogging, try shifting to 4th and see what happens.

These same things will happen with a car that has a manual shift tranny.

I don't think anything is wrong with your quad, it's rider issues..;)

demodetray
10-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I"m not saying you have the wrong sprocket size, but your a gear high. Which means that you need to down shift when going up the hill. Try taking off in 3rd gear from a dead start. It boggs down I bet, which is caused from being a gear high.

When your in that turn hammerin down and it starts bogging, try shifting to 4th and see what happens.

These same things will happen with a car that has a manual shift tranny.

I don't think anything is wrong with your quad, it's rider issues..;) seriously with a 440 kit should be power wise like stock 400 in between 1-2. when i was climbing this very lard sandy hill up in mich started in 2nd to get some r's up shifted in to 3rd half way up bogged down the DOWN shifted and did the same thing. so i let it idle and sitting half way up the hill i turn it around to try to do it again but i figured screw it and went and rode off on the trails but it didnt do it again the rest of the day.

demodetray
10-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by demodetray
seriously with a 440 kit should be power wise like stock 400 in between 1-2. when i was climbing this very lard sandy hill up in mich started in 2nd to get some r's up shifted in to 3rd half way up bogged down the DOWN shifted and did the same thing. so i let it idle and sitting half way up the hill i turn it around to try to do it again but i figured screw it and went and rode off on the trails but it didnt do it again the rest of the day.
And when it was on the track i was hammering it around a long bend in 3rd and bogged again so i up shifted on just seems not fast enough for me. i believe that 3rd is the gear that i use a majority of the time trail riding or riding on the track of doing wheelies all down the county roads

cals400ex
10-13-2004, 11:17 AM
i would just take the carb off and clean the heck out of it. also, replace the plug while your at it.

demodetray
10-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i would just take the carb off and clean the heck out of it. also, replace the plug while your at it. Thats what i will probly end up doing tonight cause it has to be loaded in the trailor tonight for my trip on friday

torqen2k1
10-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Well I just took apart my carb and found a little metal shaving in the main jet.