PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level

LazeR
10-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Where do you guys run your oil at ? In the center ? Above the the center close to the higher mark or lower then the center ?

The reason i ask is because my dad changed my oil, and its right on the higher mark and it was smoking a lil bit (oil smoke ) and im not sure if its just a lil to full and pushing it through the rings or if maybe i might be needing new rings soon

also it only smokes when i rev it up, and when the rpms go down is when it smokes a lil bit

cals400ex
10-12-2004, 01:34 AM
i run mine right at that upper mark. if it is on the dipstick between the lines, it will be fine. however, the 400ex's tend to use a bit of oil when ran hard it seems like. however, after i switched to the heavier oil like the engine builders said i needed, the problem went away.

what oil you using?

sharkinthepool
10-12-2004, 05:37 AM
Yeah I have been seeing the same problem. But the Engine builder said with my higher compression you will have it regardless. It will be fine. But since you have noticed it you might as well start checking it to get in the habit before each ride!

kamsdad97
10-12-2004, 07:19 AM
I seem to be burning oil too. I ride hard but dont race and i am still on a stock motor . i thought it was time for a rebuild. i rum the mobils red cap.

sickmojave
10-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by kamsdad97
I seem to be burning oil too. I ride hard but dont race and i am still on a stock motor . i thought it was time for a rebuild. i rum the mobils red cap.

what year is it??:confused:

LazeR
10-12-2004, 08:42 AM
I always check my oil before every ride. I haven't really been using oil. Although at the dunes, i normally have someone on the back for the 12 hours of riding i do. and its hard riding, and it will use a lil bit of oil. I have never really noticed smoke or anything before. and my oil is right to the top notch of higher, thats why i was thinking maybe its a lil to full and pushing it through the rings.