PDA

View Full Version : Shock Problems??

itsallgood
10-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Okay, here's the scoop... I just purchased this 400 and took it out yesterday to play around. I noticed the front end sit a lot lower than a friend of mines. With the weight of the quad only, the frame (where the bottom of the bumper attaches) is sitting at 10" from the ground. It doesn't really like to take rough stuff that good either. They are supposed to be pep zps shocks. They only have two coils on each of them, aren't there supposed to be three coils? I'm new to the honda world, and the suspension world. I've been drag racing banshee's for the past 6 years and haven't had the need for much suspension...

Anyway, the measurements I have are as follows:

Eye-2-Eye: 15 1/8" (Suspended on a jack stand)
Eye-2-Eye: 14 5/8" (With Quad Weight Only)
Eye-2-Eye: 14 1/2" (With Quad and Rider)

Attached is also a picture of it looking from the front...

http://www.nemr.net/~bray/honda/DSC00322.JPG
http://www.nemr.net/~bray/honda/DSC00324.JPG

nemesis
10-11-2004, 10:21 PM
That is a dual rate shock. The lower a arm is not stock either.

itsallgood
10-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I forgot to mention they are Leager +2/+1 A-arms...
How can you tell the difference between the dual and tripple rate shocks? Just by the springs? Won't the tripple rate shocks work w/o the third spring on top, and look the same way? I'm just curious, but that still doesn't answer why they are so short?

nemesis
10-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Look at the angle of your a arms compared to stock. You have aftermarket suspension that was meant to be wider and shorter.

itsallgood
10-12-2004, 04:00 PM
I understand that...i know the a-arms aren't stock, etc. I'm not totaly dumb with suspension. My question is, why are the shocks they way they are? Aren't most shocks around 18-19" instead of barely over 15" ? That's what I'm getting at... Is there any way to fix this w/o getting new shocks? And what would these shocks be good for? You saying "meant" to be wider and shorter, how do you know these were 'meant' to be shorter? Isn't that just rider preference?

gojk
10-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Standard travel shocks are 16" shocks and long travel are 19" shocks for a 400ex

itsallgood
10-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Okay, are those measurments from center of eye to eye, or end to end?

DEAL
10-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Those are works shocks.

itsallgood
10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Those are works shocks.

How can you tell the difference, between pep and works?
Works have their name engraved on the top of them don't they?
These are blank...
The colors are the same between pep and works too aren't they?

gojk
10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
I believe it is eye to eye, and I would have to agree. Those def look like works dual rate shocks.

R3Concepts
10-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Youve been had big time. Those are NOT PEP zps shocks. They are Works like the others said. PEP standard travel zps are triple rate and the LT zps are quad rates. Too bad Works and PEP are on completely different sides of the spectrum.

Tommy 17
10-13-2004, 11:10 AM
it looks like there is the lil silver zps ring on top of the shock if u ask me... is there a silver spring on top??? if so thats a zps pep... if not its most likly a work...

i'm just wondering if its not a 400ex zps shock and mayb a banshee or something...

itsallgood
10-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
it looks like there is the lil silver zps ring on top of the shock if u ask me... is there a silver spring on top??? if so thats a zps pep... if not its most likly a work...

i'm just wondering if its not a 400ex zps shock and mayb a banshee or something...

The little spring below the washer type deal that hold them together is what your talking about? Here is a close up shot? If they are the zps, then what's the deal? They just short and probably for something else?

http://www.nemr.net/~bray/honda/DSC00320.JPG

gojk
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
That is def a Zero Preload spring. Sure do look like works springs though

itsallgood
10-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Any way to tell 100% what kind of shocks they are?
If they are pep zps, and they didn't make them anything but tripple rate, where do I get the 3rd small spring from? With these completely extended they are only 15 1/8", isn't that still pretty damn short? What exaclty would that length be made for, that way I can sell them...

quad_62
10-13-2004, 10:19 PM
dont PEP's have the thicker shaft? or am i mistaken?

NacsMXer
10-14-2004, 06:12 AM
That is really weird because from the looks of your top ZPS spring, it definitely looks like a PEP ZPS setup. But at the same time there are no PEP dual rate shocks that I know of. I think you have works shocks that were converted to ZPS by a shock builder. Check out derisiracing.com - Santo works with Works shocks (haha) and he could revalve and respring your shocks to you application better than what you have on there now. Ive heard nothing but good things and his pricing is reasonable so that would be your best bet id say.

nemesis
10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by quad_62
dont PEP's have the thicker shaft? or am i mistaken? The pep's have a 5/8" shaft instead of the works 1/2" shaft.

Tommy 17
10-14-2004, 12:37 PM
thats a pep zps.... just not a 400ex shock... i'm callin its a warrior, banshee, 300ex or something like that... i'd call up pep and ask if they can tell u what its for... give them the shock length, dual rate springs, and what other info u can and they will tell u what quad its for...

quad_62
10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
shouldnt the zps springs be a little longer than that? i wonder if the shocks arent bound up somehow, but it sounds like ya got the wrong shocks for the quad. might not be bad for flat track :):macho

itsallgood
10-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Just noticed a place on top of the rezzy where there is a number that has been engraved...it is 890225NS anyone know what that means?