PDA

View Full Version : Rads axle carrier???

wscotthougland
04-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Has anyone used the Rads axle carrier:confused: or should I just get a Lonestar?
The Rads are supposed to have an external grease zert instead of one in the center like the LSR so you don't have to take it out of the swingarm! Should I get there twin axle carrier or the tapered one. A friend of mine said that the tapered kind would be a better bearing and should last longer.

Ex'r Marlin
04-13-2002, 06:52 AM
I pesonally went with the grease zerk on the outside, it really makes my maintenance a lot easier. I went with Recreations Unlimited tapered axle carrier for my 400, which is identical to Rad's. A friend of mine talked me into the tapered axle carrier, but I have not had any problems yet with my twin row on my 300.

Note: For my buddy and I that got the Rad design axle carrier with the grease zerk outside, we had to mount spacers between the swingarm and skid plate. We positioned (rotated) so that the grease zerk was pointing to the top. (This made it easy access to the grease zerk, but then the rotation of the carrier set the axle in a lower position, bottoming the rotor and sprocket/chain on the skid plate). In other words, if you plan on using your skid plate, you may encounter some mounting issues.

krazykurtk
04-14-2002, 08:45 AM
I just put a RAD double row carrier in myself. I liked the fact that the grease zerk was on the outside as well. The price difference between the RAD and Lonestar was other reason.

Dave400ex
04-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Do any other Brands of Carriers have the Grease Zerk on the Outside? I was looking at the RPM. Does it have the Zerk on the Outside?

ChadEXer
04-15-2002, 10:39 AM
I ordered my dual row bearing Rad carrier from Marcums for $150 in my door. Call up terry and get you one!!!

Ex'r Marlin
04-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Do any other Brands of Carriers have the Grease Zerk on the Outside?

Not that I'm aware of.

Dave400ex
04-16-2002, 06:09 PM
Well if Rad is the only one with a Grease Zerk on the outside I will Buy one of those.

04-17-2002, 10:52 AM
I beleive the RPM millenium carrier has one also and it comes with a lifetime warranty,,,I'll be goin with them I think,,that warranty really stands out..they state that there carrier is like 18 times stronger than stock,,and can withstand 8000 pounds of force,,,wow.

Dave400ex
04-17-2002, 07:30 PM
Well Rico I will have to find out if it has a Grease Zerk. I would like to have a RPM because of the Lifetime Warranty.

04-18-2002, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure they do have zerks..

Scott
04-18-2002, 01:30 PM
The advantage of a tapered carrier over a twin row carrier is the ability to handle the side loading on the bearings when you slide the rear end. Most of the time, that's what does in the stock bearings, more so than crud getting to them. The vertical row bearings don't have much strength for a side to side load, like the axle pushing against them when you slide. They're great for front to back loads (like nailing the gas in a straight line). The tapered bearings are like the wheel bearings on the front end of a car/truck. The taper means that the side load isn't trying to push the bearings out of the races like it is on a stock bearing.

Hopefully that explaination wasn't clear as mud...

04-18-2002, 01:38 PM
You also loose a little adjustability with tapered bearings..chain adjustment is cut down. SO I'm guessing like when I went from a 38 to 36 tooth rear sprocket,,there was a huge adjustment to make the chain tight,,with a tapered bearing I probably would have had to take a few links out to get it to work,,compared to dual row,,ya just turn the carrier to your proper settings..

Scott
04-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Good point Rico. I hadn't thought of that. Probably because I don't swap the rear sprockets back and forth since I don't race like you do. I'm guessing you're swapping rear sprockets when you swap between 18" and 20" tires? Changing the gearing essentially, or trying to avoid changing it actually...

04-18-2002, 02:02 PM
Actually I've left the 36 on the back for all tire sizes and riding areas...the 416 turns it with no problems,,but I had to loosen the axle for the 36 to fit,,it didnt' slide right on,,,to small to go over the sprocket hub and no room to move it around to fit with it so close to the swing arm...:( I;ll probably run the 36 tooth in the rear for ever,,I got plenty of bottom end..
:devil

Scott
04-18-2002, 02:06 PM
Why not just remove the hub (only 1 nut) and slide it on?

Nevermind. I just re-read your post. You said sprocket hub, not axle/wheel hub... I'm ready to go home for the day....

wscotthougland
04-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Well I ended up ordering the rads tapered bearing carrier and got it in last night. It looks good, except I don't really like the way the caliper bracket is set up (it was included with the carrier). I will have to wait to make a final decision on the bracket until I get it installed. If I can find a digital camera I will post some pictures.

Rico, I don't think that I am going to loose any adjustability with the chain adjustment, but will have to check when I get it installed.

Ex'r Marlin
04-23-2002, 09:58 AM
I really like the caliper bracket they supplied, I thought it was a great idea for them to supply that with the carrier.

Yeah, I'm sure you are going to lose "some" adjustment on the carrier for your chain. I could be wrong, but it looked like the bearings used have a much larger outside diameter than our stock ones, which is cool, until you find out that it does not have as much adjustment as the stocker. I could be wrong, but that's what I noticed with my Rads Carrier with tappered bearings.

If you can, take a look at both your stocker and the Rads side by side, maybe then you can see what I'm talking about.

Note: If you use your skid plate, you may have some trouble mounting it.

Good Luck!!!! Once it is all done and lubed up, you are going to enjoy it!!!!!

04-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by wscotthougland

Rico, I don't think that I am going to loose any adjustability with the chain adjustment, but will have to check when I get it installed.

Please do that for me...thanks.;)

wscotthougland
04-29-2002, 07:00 AM
I got the carrier installed this weekend and everything went OK. The caliper bracket went on ok also, just has a little bit of play in it, nothing that will hurt. I did have to add spacers to the swingarm skid to get it to fit just like Ex'r Marlin siad.

I also did lose a little bit of adjustment on the carrier for my chain, but I don't think that it will be that big a deal.