PDA

View Full Version : 450R clutch covers craking?

Ex_Rider43
10-11-2004, 03:40 PM
is this a real problem??? because I want to buy a 450r and my uncle who works at the honda dealer here said they were replacing it very often.

Southtown00
10-11-2004, 03:47 PM
There is talk about the kickstarter kicking back and cracking the case. I dont know if it related or even how common it is. If it is just the clutch cover I wouldnt worry about it. Especially if your uncle works at a honda dealer.

WhiteZee
10-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
is this a real problem??? because I want to buy a 450r and my uncle who works at the honda dealer here said they were replacing it very often.
iv never heard of this problem a single time. i wouldnt worrie about it.

genxracer
10-11-2004, 08:57 PM
it happens , i saw it with my own eyes, didnt happen on mine but a friends, he was giving it throttle while starting it, mark baldwin even took a picture to show some honda guys when we were at birch creek in april

sntheticdeluson
10-12-2004, 06:41 PM
leason learned ???? dont hit the throttle while starting

sparky450AR
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Hopefully mine will break soon, and ill buy this one.

http://www.duncanracing.com/images/parts/big-trx450rclutchcover.jpg :cool:

10-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by genxracer
it happens , i saw it with my own eyes, didnt happen on mine but a friends, he was giving it throttle while starting it, mark baldwin even took a picture to show some honda guys when we were at birch creek in april

where's the pic? i'd like to know exactly where it is braking.

Pappy
10-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by force
where's the pic? i'd like to know exactly where it is braking.

the pic is posted in the 450r section somewhere.

it busts the case right where the shaft enters the case

BSTURDIVANT
10-13-2004, 10:47 AM
We broke 1 side case when it kicked back-big bore and 13 to1 wants to break everything including ankles! even when not giving throttle!
Also broke quick change cover when the screw came out of the kick start lever- the lever comes up too high and hits the cover when kicked down.

genxracer
10-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I dont have the pic but it started right behind a bolt to the left of the kicker, started as a hair line , and at first we thought the clutch cover was coming loose or a bad gasket or something because we saw oil dripping but couldnt see the crack. Then it got bigger, he took it to honda and they fixed it for free, then it happeded again and he said screw them...took it off and had it welded/reinforced. been OK since then

Southtown00
10-13-2004, 08:16 PM
I wonder if this kick back phenominon is caused by the decompression device. Im thinking when the kickstarter comes up and the engine fires, perhaps it switches to high compression while the kickstarter is still engaged. This is a guess, I dont know how the system works, but is there anyone that does that could look into this?

WhiteZee
10-13-2004, 08:57 PM
the reason the kicker will break the case is because when jackasses give it gas, it backfires and slings the kicker back really hard, and it cracks the case. if you start it the way its meant to be started, with out using the gas, theres nothing to worrie about.

Southtown00
10-14-2004, 09:25 AM
This just seems strange to me because whaat if the engine gets flooded? Isnt the proper way to start it then to open the throttle to let in more air? Also, does this happen when you dont use the hot start button or anytime you give it gas?

10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Southtown00
This just seems strange to me because whaat if the engine gets flooded? Isnt the proper way to start it then to open the throttle to let in more air? Also, does this happen when you dont use the hot start button or anytime you give it gas? It does this automatically I think thats what the decompression device is for

Southtown00
10-14-2004, 10:35 AM
I thought the decomp. had more to do with making it easier to kick over a big 4-stroke motor.